Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Change my oil in my 13 NRS with Mobil 1 and noticed a lot more engine and transmission noise vs Amsoil that I had been running. After about 1000 miles nothing has changed, but when downshifting its occasionally won't go into gear, especially down to 1st. About 5500 miles total on the bike. Wondering if anyone else has had this happening?

·
VRSC est -03
3,396 Posts
Try clean/lube the uniballs/linkage to the gear shifter. WD40 or similar..

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Change my oil in my 13 NRS with Mobil 1 and noticed a lot more engine and transmission noise vs Amsoil that I had been running. After about 1000 miles nothing has changed, but when downshifting its occasionally won't go into gear, especially down to 1st. About 5500 miles total on the bike. Wondering if anyone else has had this happening?
I've tried a few different oils and noise and shifting are all about the same. While I've stayed with Amsoil, if the 20/50 Mobil 1 is used there should be no difference. Even that factory fill Harley 360 20/50 was fine during break in. Engines are slightly noisier with syn oils like Amsoil or Mobil compared to dino oils but shouldn't be an extreme amount. As for down into first, I usually slip it in barely rolling or if needed from a higher speed, blip, to better sync the gear speed so the dog will engage. I've noticed the refusal to slip into first once or twice in time I've owned it but it's always been from not blipping to match my higher then normal down shift into first gear rolling speed. Basically just takes a second tap on the shift peg and it goes in.
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Could be a clutch issue. Clutch not disengaging fully. Have you changed your clutch fluid lately?

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I have not changed it. I did you put on some new clutch and brake reservoir covers though. Could that really do it?
Might if the lever isn't solid as in some remaining air in the system. This will not allow the plates to separate as much as they should causing drag that creates extra needed shift pressure on the peg to make it slip into gear. If you foot get's lazy it might not go into gear first time. First and second gears whether up or down shifting are somewhat more touchy then the rest of the gears. This is from the gear speeds, gear pocket and dog engagement. Most noted from first to second but on a down shift from second to first a certain speed it can resist going into first on the first try. It's a rare condition and not everyone experiences it, depending on how they ride. I might see it a couple times a season. Only changing the covers will not cause that.
Ron

·
Registered
62 Posts
Kmaster,
I ride a 2012 Nightrod Special in Malaysia. Ever since I bought the bike it occasionally will not downshift correctly, in my case it just 'goes between gears', into neutral and I have to kick it down again. I have never gotten to the bottom of this and suspect it is a linkage, not an oil, issue. Sorry I can't shed any light on the problem, but sometimes misery likes company....

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
First thing you do is clean up those Heim joints on the shifter rod. You will be surprised at what a difference clean joints will do for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.