Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all first time posting.

I have a problem with a 2013 night rod specials brakes, its non abs.

Basically the front brakes are gradually locking on and the brake lever goes rock solid.

I have replaced the brake master cylinder piston and seal, i checked and both springs were the same size. (I have tried with both anyway)

I have disassembled both front calipers twice now cleaned the pistons, inspected them along with all the seals and everything looks fine. (I have since ordered a new piston and seal kit).

I have bleed them countless times with new fluid and an air bleeder.

The bike has 16” apes on it with brand new lines, i have blown air through the line and obviously still pulls fluid through when i bleed them.

This bikes stumped me i have not come across this before and i have been through a few vrods now.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Hi all first time posting.

I have a problem with a 2013 night rod specials brakes, its non abs.

Basically the front brakes are gradually locking on and the brake lever goes rock solid.

I have replaced the brake master cylinder piston and seal, i checked and both springs were the same size. (I have tried with both anyway)

I have disassembled both front calipers twice now cleaned the pistons, inspected them along with all the seals and everything looks fine. (I have since ordered a new piston and seal kit).

I have bleed them countless times with new fluid and an air bleeder.

The bike has 16” apes on it with brand new lines, i have blown air through the line and obviously still pulls fluid through when i bleed them.

This bikes stumped me i have not come across this before and i have been through a few vrods now.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Are you running the fluid level about 1/2-3/4 in the sight glass? Is the return port in the master free and open for fluid to return. Rotors warped, generating heat in the caliper expanding the fluid, coupled with a blocked return port or too much fluid to allow for expansion. Some of the things that come to mind. If both rotors are slowly locking up, points to a fluid return problem. Try a reverse bleed and see if fluid will return from both calipers. If not, I'm still thinking it's master cyl related. In the real world, everything you've done above should have fixed it but maybe you live in the same world as me where nothing seems to work as it should.?
Ron

·
Registered
434 Posts
There have been problems in the past due to aftermarket brake levers not allowing the master to bleed off. A few forum members have went down in the past due to the front brakes locking up. Search the forums for front brake lever problems.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
There have been problems in the past due to aftermarket brake levers not allowing the master to bleed off. A few forum members have went down in the past due to the front brakes locking up. Search the forums for front brake lever problems.
One other thought. Is your lever returning all the way back. If not the port will not open to allow fluid return.
Ron

·
"Vrod King"
847 Posts
I too have seen a problem with the brake lever sticking with a very small piece of junk in the cup of the lever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you running the fluid level about 1/2-3/4 in the sight glass? Is the return port in the master free and open for fluid to return. Rotors warped, generating heat in the caliper expanding the fluid, coupled with a blocked return port or too much fluid to allow for expansion. Some of the things that come to mind. If both rotors are slowly locking up, points to a fluid return problem. Try a reverse bleed and see if fluid will return from both calipers. If not, I'm still thinking it's master cyl related. In the real world, everything you've done above should have fixed it but maybe you live in the same world as me where nothing seems to work as it should.?
Ron
Yes i always run the fluid about half, i did clean the master out and blow air through when i done the piston, i will have to try the reverse bleed and check the rotors, i do have a spare set i could put on.
Cheers ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi it is just running the factory levers cheers

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Double check your stock levers. There are changes in the levers on different years so you could have the wrong stock levers installed. Of course the best way to test this is to take the top off of the master cylinder and make sure you're getting returned flow through the little return hole (very small) when the lever is released at the last eighth of an inch or so. you can actually see the piston clear the hole as you release. If the brake light switch is installed incorrectly it can also hold the return Port closed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If all else fails it may be a faulty line between the master and caliper, never struck the problem on my rod but have in automotive flexible brake lines where a separation of the inner lining can flap and cause a restriction in the return flow of fluid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts