Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Seem to be developing a small leak on the bottom left of the rad. Couple of pics attached as to where. Seems to collect right at that screw or whatever that is. Any ideas if this is a hose or something more serious?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,259 Posts
Watch out. That drain lug is plastic and easily damaged. Don't wrench it tight. Only hand tight.
Also check the worm gear clamps near the top of the radiator. They do loosen up occasionally.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watch out. That drain lug is plastic and easily damaged. Don't wrench it tight. Only hand tight.
Also check the worm gear clamps near the top of the radiator. They do loosen up occasionally.
Thanks! Turns out the rad is leaking (after only 11,000 mi). I topped up the rad fluid and cold fill and seems to be a steady drip once the bike is hot. How safe is it to ride do you think? I'm looking at getting the rad replaced at a local shop because Harley wants to charge $1500 (Canadian) for parts and labor (will only pull out old/put in new rad).

·
Premium Member
11,259 Posts
The leak can probably be fixed. Take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure test it to find the hole.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Thanks! Turns out the rad is leaking (after only 11,000 mi). I topped up the rad fluid and cold fill and seems to be a steady drip once the bike is hot. How safe is it to ride do you think? I'm looking at getting the rad replaced at a local shop because Harley wants to charge $1500 (Canadian) for parts and labor (will only pull out old/put in new rad).
Ebay has those rads in the $200 range for your bike. Rad change was done in 2014 and are a bit different. These are a direct copy of the original. It's rad only where as HD they sell you the oil cooler and rad as a unit.
There are also used ones on ebay, if you have a hate on for China. For all I know, the OEM was buitl there. Like who in their right mind would go about making v rod rads in the first place and expect a market for it? If you go this route , let us know how it worked out. I've read only one other that used this rad and was happy with it.
Ron

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Ebay has those rads in the $200 range for your bike. Rad change was done in 2014 and are a bit different. These are a direct copy of the original. It's rad only where as HD they sell you the oil cooler and rad as a unit.
There are also used ones on ebay, if you have a hate on for China. For all I know, the OEM was buitl there. Like who in their right mind would go about making v rod rads in the first place and expect a market for it? If you go this route , let us know how it worked out. I've read only one other that used this rad and was happy with it.
Ron
Yes I could see nothing with that radiator to suggest it is not the one they supplied to HD. As you say I am sure they could have picked a thousand different vehicles to start making copy radiators for, and not a vehicle that is going to generate such a small percentage of sales! It fits and functions perfectly so I would have no worries about buying others.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ron
Thanks again Ron. That really seems like a viable option. So I cleaned it all off and got it bone dry and ran it to see if I can tell where the leak is coming from. There is only one place that it’s dripping from and it’s the left screw that connects the rad to the oil cooler and definitely the reddish coolant and not oil dripping. No wet spots on that front side of the rad. It may be collecting there from a leak on the other side of the rad which is very obstructed with a lot of gear.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Thanks again Ron. That really seems like a viable option. So I cleaned it all off and got it bone dry and ran it to see if I can tell where the leak is coming from. There is only one place that it’s dripping from and it’s the left screw that connects the rad to the oil cooler and definitely the reddish coolant and not oil dripping. No wet spots on that front side of the rad. It may be collecting there from a leak on the other side of the rad which is very obstructed with a lot of gear.
View attachment 604461
I think that's an area where vibration over time might fatigue the rad where the cooler mount is. The rad is supported at the top and bottom plate offers slight upward pressure, working the connection point of the two. Just one of those things. I'm sure the rougher the roads the more likely it can happen. Could also be a place where water from rain or washing can sit there and cause corrosion. Hard to say for sure. If you go with the rad off ebay, please give us a report as in fit and finish.
Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The leak can probably be fixed. Take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure test it to find the hole.
Ya, I think that's where I'm headed. Pretty sure HD is gouging and going to fit a new rad and oil cooler as I've heard the part for 2012 and previous has been replaced with one to fit all. So likely they will come at me for more money when they have to fanagle it to fit, etc. Last time I brought it in (tires, breather hoses, and service interval) the quote was $1950. The final bill ended up $2230 or so.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Ya, I think that's where I'm headed. Pretty sure HD is gouging and going to fit a new rad and oil cooler as I've heard the part for 2012 and previous has been replaced with one to fit all. So likely they will come at me for more money when they have to fanagle it to fit, etc. Last time I brought it in (tires, breather hoses, and service interval) the quote was $1950. The final bill ended up $2230 or so.
Did you scream? I would have lost my shit on that one.
Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you scream? I would have lost my shit on that one.
Ron
I actually chuckled out loud at that. I live on Vancouver Island in BC, Canada. They are the ONLY dealership on this massive island (over 12,000 square miles). Only way off is plane (can't take bike!) or a commercial ferry ($200 round trip and a full day with hitting a dealer in metro Vancouver BC). So they have a monopoly. And they know it and don't care. They were like 'is there a problem here' when I questioned the difference in quote and final price, like it was my privilege to pay them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For all I know, the OEM was buitl there. Like who in their right mind would go about making v rod rads in the first place and expect a market for it?
Totally. As I've learned the Vrod is extremely popular in warmer countries where folks dreamt of owning a Harley but couldn't due to the big 100+ ci air-cooled motors overheating. 'designed (and priced) by Harley, made in [insert slave labour country here]'

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ron
So I ordered that one from China on Ebay, and paid for it. Got a message only today after a week or so that the order is canceled as it is no longer in stock. Waiting for my Visa to be refunded. Back to the drawing board,

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
So I ordered that one from China on Ebay, and paid for it. Got a message only today after a week or so that the order is canceled as it is no longer in stock. Waiting for my Visa to be refunded. Back to the drawing board,
That sucks!
Only other options are these. First is another chinese one but they claim it has 30% more capacity than a std one. Second is a S/H one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts