Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought and installed the DDM Tuning HID kit with a single lo, 35w, h11, 6000k bulb and it lasted a week. I am nervous to keep it and want to know if there are ANY other options for the 2012 DX to get a better light versus the crappy stock weak yellow. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
I know some of the guys have gone to the Sylvania ZXE bulbs, since they are saying they are comparable to the HID setups. Might want to check them out?

·
Registered
68 Posts
HID on 2012 NRS

I also have a 35w HID on the low side of my 2012 NRS.

The HID has been on the bike since the second week of ownership and have not had a single issue. 35w is less draw than the stock bulb and gives much better light. Now I did go for a 48k bulb to give a whiter light; less blue. In the 10 months of running the HID I have not had a single person complain about scattered light.

What went out on yours? If the bulb blew, well that can happen. If the ballast blew it is a warranty issue. I have been running HID on most of my bikes low side for years and thus far only had one die; it was on the XR1200 and that was due to vibrations and the way I mounted it - changed the setup and it works just fine.

:moped:

·
Defender of Freedom
716 Posts
Pick up PIAA super white bulbs. They have good white light output and are designed to cast the appropriate light pattern on the road unlike HID kits which are installed in a halogen housing and don't properly cut the light. This results in a wide cast off of light which is great if you're trying illuminate freeway overpasses or small marsupials off the side of the road. If you do decide to stick with the HID get a more appropriate kelvin range bulb. Look for a 4300K if you can. If not, don't get anything above 5000K or you'll be losing usable light. I know everyone has their own claims about how much better/more light they experience from higher kelvin temp bulbs but physics doesn't lie. The closest color temp to true sunlight (which by the way is the point of HID lighting) is 4300K. Anything higher in the temp range than that and your usable light dissipates. 4800K isn't noticeable, but once you get into the 6000K and up range it becomes very evident.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2012 DX headlights

Go to www.classicgarage.com they have a 70w Bright White low beam (stock is 55w) They also hjave a 80w Bright White high beam (stock is 65w) cheapest lights l found werer over $20. They sell them for $9.96 each. I bought 4 for spares and love them...

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts
Go to www.classicgarage.com they have a 70w Bright White low beam (stock is 55w) They also hjave a 80w Bright White high beam (stock is 65w) cheapest lights l found werer over $20. They sell them for $9.96 each. I bought 4 for spares and love them...
Which bulbs do I need for my 2012 DX? H11 or ??? Thanks, I'm a bit confused but need to know so I can order correct bulbs...........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Which bulbs do I need for my 2012 DX? H11 or ??? Thanks, I'm a bit confused but need to know so I can order correct bulbs...........
You need both (there are 2 bulbs) H9 & H11. If you pull your old ones out its printed on the base. P.S. dont touch the bulb glass with fingers, etc.

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts
BJRENO,
Thanks for the quick response and I really appreciate it. :notworth:

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts
Anyone see a negative issue with running a 70W low beam and an 80W high beam bulb ???

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Perhaps no one sees a negative issue. ;)

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
I checked out the sylvania ZXE H11...anybody know which ones to buy? They have a few different model #'s

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts
Perhaps no one sees a negative issue. ;)
Perhaps but I just want to make sure the circuit can handle the extra wattage.................. Can anyone enlighten me on this???

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts
Took the leap, since no one commented, and ordered the 70w and 80w bulbs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pick up PIAA super white bulbs. They have good white light output and are designed to cast the appropriate light pattern on the road unlike HID kits which are installed in a halogen housing and don't properly cut the light. This results in a wide cast off of light which is great if you're trying illuminate freeway overpasses or small marsupials off the side of the road. If you do decide to stick with the HID get a more appropriate kelvin range bulb. Look for a 4300K if you can. If not, don't get anything above 5000K or you'll be losing usable light. I know everyone has their own claims about how much better/more light they experience from higher kelvin temp bulbs but physics doesn't lie. The closest color temp to true sunlight (which by the way is the point of HID lighting) is 4300K. Anything higher in the temp range than that and your usable light dissipates. 4800K isn't noticeable, but once you get into the 6000K and up range it becomes very evident.

I had the "piaa super whites" and they were a rip off. I went with ddm tuning HIDs and have never looked back. 3 trucks and 3rd bike later, ddm is still the best.

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts
Took the leap, since no one commented, and ordered the 70w and 80w bulbs.
Bulbs arrived today. Now all I need is time to put them in and time to ride. Thanks to all who helped me out...............

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually, the closest temp to true sunlight is about 5000k-5500k. Kelvin has little to do with brightness, its the color temp of the light, which does matter in the visual for appearance of objects. so to high a kelvin is as bad as too low when driving...

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
What's the correct kit for a 2007-11 DX?

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Bulbs arrived today. Now all I need is time to put them in and time to ride. Thanks to all who helped me out...............
Let us know how it works out, man.

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts
Let us know how it works out, man.
I'll do that for sure but still need the time to do it. Work is crazy and for me that is a good thing. When you're self employed you get it while the gettin's good.

Sorry for the delay.........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts