Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and super excited to be apart of this community. I am in absolute love with my VROD and happy to have found a group with the same affection towards their rides. With that said has anyone in the community had an issue with their bike not starting. The starter is trying to turn the motor over, the battery is relatively new and charged. When I hit the start button it sounds like it wants to start but almost like it’s not getting fuel. It also has a full tank of gas. I know this is probably a little vague but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Have you checked for any codes? You probably need to put a pressure gauge on it and make sure you have fuel pressure before you go much further. One simple thing worth trying is to swap the system relay for one of the others (fan) and see if it starts then. These are a common failure and can give the symptoms you are describing.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yup. Check fuel pressure. There is a Schrader valve on the rail between the injectors. An automotive type fuel pressure gauge is what you want. Should hear the pump run for 3 seconds with ignition on, then stop until you crank it. Fuel pressure needs to be 55-62 psi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked for any codes? You probably need to put a pressure gauge on it and make sure you have fuel pressure before you go much further. One simple thing worth trying is to swap the system relay for one of the others (fan) and see if it starts then. These are a common failure and can give the symptoms you are describing.
no codes are popping up and the pressure was fine. Just opened up the tank it looks as if the fuel filter is very dirty. I’m replacing the fuel sending unit as well. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup. Check fuel pressure. There is a Schrader valve on the rail between the injectors. An automotive type fuel pressure gauge is what you want. Should hear the pump run for 3 seconds with ignition on, then stop until you crank it. Fuel pressure needs to be 55-62 psi.
Thank you I’ll check this out.

·
I Hate Stupid People
730 Posts
I know you said your battery was fairly new and charged as well. Last Battery replaced due to close the same incident. It was on charger Maintanace charging. Started up fine rode 20 miles one way , then rode back . Left outside for 4 hrs. Nothing on . Went to move it and it did the same thing you described.
Very possible depleted battery

1 - 7 of 7 Posts