Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my new bike. Maybe someone else has experienced the same. When the bike is cold it stars great. However when I make a quick stop at the gas station it takes quite an effort to get it running again. I have to use lots of throttle to get it running. Almost like vapor lock is occuring.

It's winterized for the season. Perhaps in the spring I'll take it in and have the dealer look at it for me (warranty). Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I have an issue with my new bike. Maybe someone else has experienced the same. When the bike is cold it stars great. However when I make a quick stop at the gas station it takes quite an effort to get it running again. I have to use lots of throttle to get it running. Almost like vapor lock is occuring.

It's winterized for the season. Perhaps in the spring I'll take it in and have the dealer look at it for me (warranty). Thanks in advance!
Where in MD are you? It's not winter in Gaithersburg.

You shouldn't use the throttle when starting the bike. Holding it wide open will activate a mode for clearing a flooded intake but other than that, the ECM will just get confused. Idle and starting is controlled by the ECM with the throttle closed.

Another cause for starting problems is moving the throttle during the first 4 seconds after turning the ignition on while the "engine" and "security" light are on. This is when the ECM is resetting the system and moving the throttle during this time will mess up the TPS (throttle position sensor) reset.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. I'm just up the road in Clarksburg. However I am traveling during NOV and DEC for work and won't have much time for riding so I put it away a little early. However, I did have it out this evening doing my first "winter" mod. HIDs!

DDM 55w H9 hi and H11 low 8000K. Looks great! Gonna do the lo/hi mod next weekend.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
I have an 11 Muscle and have no similar issues.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Vapor lock should be all but impossible on a V-Rod. It's a 2011, it's under warranty. Take it in and get it diagnosed and fixed for free.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the same problem on my 09 dx I have a sert an vance an hine s 2 into 1 I usually just cycle the on off to get it to start.thought it may be the tune since it didn't do it before it but have given up trying to find someone to tune my bike correctly after 2 dumbasss dealers in my area have told me its right an I know its not lots of backfire on decel.let me know what u find out in the spring though aPpreciate it.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
You shouldn't use the throttle when starting the bike. Holding it wide open will activate a mode for clearing a flooded intake but other than that, the ECM will just get confused. Idle and starting is controlled by the ECM with the throttle closed.

Another cause for starting problems is moving the throttle during the first 4 seconds after turning the ignition on while the "engine" and "security" light are on. This is when the ECM is resetting the system and moving the throttle during this time will mess up the TPS (throttle position sensor) reset.
Agree 100%......WJKramer you will need to start it without touching the throttle so it can re-set....just leave it idle then shut off.....then repeat this process 3 - 5 times,, once this re-sets then if the problem still exists then dig deeper.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Did we ever get a conclusion on this one? Was the problem fixed?

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
If your refering to the OP, I do beleive he is waiting for spring to have the dealer check her out.

Did we ever get a conclusion on this one? Was the problem fixed?

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts

had the same EXACT same problem with my DX years ago when it was hot was harder to start, i had a TH installed and sert when i got the bike , the bike was wayyy to rich was also getting black puff at accel, when i removed everything and put the bike back to stock with stock download from stealer, it came back to normal starting good every time.
you might be to rich? ? it's fouling a little on start up
i am sure this is the problem. comes back to others (AOW) have said TUNING

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks like him an I need to find someone who can properly tune our bikes anyone in illinois or surrounding areas? Or anyone know of anyone?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well spring has come and gone WJKramer? Did you ever get a diagnosis?
It sure has jccscustoms. Ha. I have not taken it in yet. It is still doing it. But If I let it sit for a few mins after I shut it down its not a problem. Only when I go to start it back up immediately. I have to go party my butt off in Vegas for a few days when I get back I'll schedule something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a thought, did you break that engine in properly, I used to get some hesitation at the low end untill the engine finally broke in, it sounds kind of similar. Hesitation, stalls and a kind of rough idle that has since passed.
BTW how do those V&H's sound mine are on order 8)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a thought, did you break that engine in properly, I used to get some hesitation at the low end untill the engine finally broke in, it sounds kind of similar. Hesitation, stalls and a kind of rough idle that has since passed.
BTW how do those V&H's sound mine are on order 8)
Simular? I have no hesitation problem just starting some times. I did notice the other day my check engine light comes back on after start up sometimes. Must be a code. I'll look it up tomorrow and see what it is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts