Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding the bike and running with the fuel light low. Stopped at the gas station and filled up. Started bike back up pulled out onto the road and then next to a buddy (rolling about 10 mph) pulled in the clutch and reved up to do a burnout. Once I let the clutch out as soon as the load grabbed the bike just died.

Pulled it off to the side of the road. Everything on the bike works ie. horn, high beams low beams. When I cycle the key all the engine lights come on, except the neutral light doesnt come on even in neutral. And the Fuel pump doesn't pressure up and make that pressurizing noise. Starter will not Turn over either.

I checked all the fuel pump, ecm, fuses as well as the main 40 amp fues.

I have a trask turbo and a thundermax ECM.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a diagnosis so I don't have to bring it to the harley shop and not be able to eat for a month.

Any way to check for codes? will the thing pull codes now that I have the brain is a thundermax?

Could I put my old ecm in and try to see if it will function correctly . THis may let me know its the Tundermax.

To me it seems electrical. When it died it didn't feel or i didnt hear any mechanical breaking of parts..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Cole

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Was riding the bike and running with the fuel light low. Stopped at the gas station and filled up. Started bike back up pulled out onto the road and then next to a buddy (rolling about 10 mph) pulled in the clutch and reved up to do a burnout. Once I let the clutch out as soon as the load grabbed the bike just died.

Pulled it off to the side of the road. Everything on the bike works ie. horn, high beams low beams. When I cycle the key all the engine lights come on, except the neutral light doesnt come on even in neutral. And the Fuel pump doesn't pressure up and make that pressurizing noise. Starter will not Turn over either.

I checked all the fuel pump, ecm, fuses as well as the main 40 amp fues.

I have a trask turbo and a thundermax ECM.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a diagnosis so I don't have to bring it to the harley shop and not be able to eat for a month.

Any way to check for codes? will the thing pull codes now that I have the brain is a thundermax?

Could I put my old ecm in and try to see if it will function correctly . THis may let me know its the Tundermax.

To me it seems electrical. When it died it didn't feel or i didnt hear any mechanical breaking of parts..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Cole
The lack of neutral light indicates a blown IGNITION fuse. This fuse also lights the oil pressure lamp. The other items that wouldn't work are the IM gauges (tach, speedo and fuel level) and IM diagnostics, however; the CEL, security lamp, coolant temp lamp, battery lamp, and ABS lamp all work normal.

If the IGNITION fuse is good as you indicated and the gray wire ignition circuit isn't damaged, then it could be the Thundermax. I can't help with diagnosing that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gauges cycle through when the key is turned on. Rpm, MPH, and fuel.. I will check and instal a new ignition fuse..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve, I didn't know there was another fuse bank behind the front cover and behind the main maxi fuse. I checked there and you were right, it was the ignition 15 amp fuse. Thanks for the info. Bike is back to normal. I'm still wondering what made the fuse blow. But its back up and running again.

Thanks again.

Cole

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts
Steve, I didn't know there was another fuse bank behind the front cover and behind the main maxi fuse. I checked there and you were right, it was the ignition 15 amp fuse. Thanks for the info. Bike is back to normal. I'm still wondering what made the fuse blow. But its back up and running again.

Thanks again.

Cole
Maybe the bike's trying to tell you it doesn't like being beat on.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Maybe the bike's trying to tell you it doesn't like being beat on.
If the gray wire doesn't show any evidence of shorting to ground, I'd guess either the Thundermax drew too much current or there's been something added to the IGNITION circuit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't add anything to ignition . I do have a lot hooked up to the battery though. My heated vest , the trickle charger leads, and the air ride compressor . I'm going through it today to take a look and trace the grey wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts