Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2011 StreetRod Owner
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding down the road at 50 mph and it's seems like the bike just shuts off. I will be sitting at a red light and it just dies. When I go to restart the bike it may or may not turn over and if it does it dies immediately. I am running topless, V&H Comp. w/ Thundermax w/autotune. Could my ignition switch be bad? Possibly the stater? IDK... I did notice that my switch housing on the throttle side of the bars was a hair loose. I tightened it up but the problem continues to haunt me. Any info before I just go pay the big money to HD to diagnose???

Attachments

·
I Hate Stupid People
720 Posts
Unplug your Thundermax... Turn Bike Switch to ACC.. let it sit there for 10 seconds..Turn to the Start run Position let the Gauges activate.. Turn on your Kill switch let the bike Fuel Pump Prime up.. DON'T START IT !!! Hit your kill switch & Turn it off. Let it sit for 20 seconds and then plug your thundermax back in.. Turn to the start position and Turn on your kill switch.. Start Bike and let it Idle till it comes up to temperature & Take it for a Ride..Without Racing it around , but cycle through the gears.
JUST MY OPINION ON WHAT TO DO..:lamer:

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
i've seen this with the thundermax before. highly suspect.

·
2011 StreetRod Owner
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bangin my head on the wall

I appreciate your comments and suggestions...I am going to try this tonight. I already tried clearing out my map selection and uploading a new base map from the database for the D&D Fat Cat...seems like my bike runs much better but it is still dieing. Took apart my ignition switch and I can't find any consistency with the switch being the issue. I'm going to run through the suggested items here and see if the issue continues. Thanks again.

·
2011 StreetRod Owner
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unsuccessful... pretty sure it's a bad kill switch that keeps cutting out my ignition. Unbelieveable...thanks anyhow fella's...if you think of anything else let me know. I'm taking it to Eagle Harley in Lafayette, IN (well known for their work with V-Rod's) to let them give it a good once over.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I had similar issues with the thunder max installed, and ever since I put the Daytona twin tec in it hasn't happened since.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts