Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
You can use the previous years DX model exhaust... No difference.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've got T'headers on my 06 D. They will make your neighbors cower and your ears bleed. Worth every dime.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I don't think they do yet. Due to the new 02 sensor which is a different size.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just get an answer from Rinehart Racing:
"We currently do not have a system for the V-Rod."

The previous manufacturer for Rinehart was Bub

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Do they make thunderheaders for 2011 night rods...I've searched and can't find any....
you will need 2008 head pipes to put the Thunderheader on a 2011.... the thunderheader for the V-Rod is a slip-on pipe and uses the stock headers. 2009 and newer models have the front header welded to the auxilary volume... you will also need to change out the exhaust gaskets to 2008.... let me know if I can help out...

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
I don't think they do yet. Due to the new 02 sensor which is a different size.
I did not know the 02 sensors were different?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Would love to hear more info on this. Right now the Thunderheader is the exhaust I like the most, and really, would like to put it on the '11 that I plan on buying soon. But if it's going to be a headache and a half, I may just go with something different.

·
2011 VRSCDX
31 Posts
I did not know the 02 sensors were different?
It is the 10 and 11 model touring bikes that have the different O2 sensors... You would only need the header pipes from the 08 like was mentioned earlier to be able to use the TH slipon on the DX model...

·
2011 VRSCDX
31 Posts
I have done this on my '11 DX with a CFR slip-on...

...and the gaskets? Why '08?
The flanges on the head pipes are just a little bit different. The 08 gaskets seemed to have a little less depth on them, so that the head pipe will fit right into the exhaust port...

Kinda tough findin 08 head pipes without takin a beating, if i plan on using a power commander, will earlier head pipes work?
It is a little tough finding head pipes from '08, but Harley does still make them. I had to order a set for myself not too long ago.

As for the powercommander, it will still work just fine. Up until '11 Harley still used the 18mm O2 sensor ports. They didn't change the ports until this year '12 to the 12mm ports. You can just plug the ports if you use the PC-V or use the sensors that would come with the AutoTune kit...

Hope this helps? I will try and answer any more questions if you guys have any. If I can't I will ask one of my techs in the shop!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got a 09NRS just looking about thunder header any update about the exhaust. Is that still the only way is buy a 08 header. All thunder header for Vrod are slip ons ??? Do I have to put the o2 sensor back on?

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Greetings to the forum - yes the Thunderheader is a slip-on and for the '08 and earlier V-Rods. Let me know if I can help out....

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
thats correct... the Thunderheader for V-Rods has 2 short header pieces (that clamp to OEM headers - then the slip-on.... so in reality black or chrome the exhaust is 5 pieces and also 5 heat shields.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
no problem - Have a great Thanksgiving and let me know if I can help out with any parts or questions you have,

1 - 20 of 34 Posts