Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have wanted to get this bike since my last deployment in 08 and now it is finally happening. After talking with my local dealer, I just can't pass up the savings while being deployed.

So I joined this forum and have spent probably the last week (almost every minute of my free time, don't tell the boss!) browsing and already have my shopping list of mods to do when I get the bike. Unfortunately I do not take delivery of this beautiful baby until the 1st of June. I want to say that all the advice you guys offer is fantastic! Truly a wonderful thing to have so much help so quickly.

So to get to my point I have a couple of questions regarding my choices for modding and it would be great to get some advice from the experts around here. First I will give you the list:

Going to go topless with either K&N or Amsoil.
Bub 7 2-1
Arnott Air ride in Rear
Progressive lowering kit in front with Ricor 49mm Intiminators
Most everything else will be cosmetic

Here are my questions:

1. Doing the exhaust, do I need to get the PCV before I do the Dyno, or can I get the exhaust and do the dyno and get the PCV later? Is it just a silly question for me to get the exhaust and not the PC?
2. I sent a few people some emails about the Bub7's but no response in regards to them being 'street legal'. Is this something that people just take a chance on? I read on their website something about the exhaust only being used for racing.
3. Should I leave the bike stock for X amount of miles before I do the upgrades? Is the exhaust, going topless and air filter going to effect the break-in? Is that something I can do before I even go mile 1? Do I want to? Thoughts?
4. I have read several things about warranties. Do the upgrades I want to do completely void the manufacturer warranty on the rest of the bike? Is it worth getting the extra 3-years?

That's about all I want to throw at you guys for now. Like I said I wont get the bike until June, but I would like to have all my ducks in a row to make it go smooth by the time I get home.

Sharkey I will be calling you soon to order some of this stuff! :deal:

Thanks again for the help gents! Big fan and can't wait until I can join the ranks with my new DX!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
if you change the pipe, do the air filter topless and PCV all at the same time. don't take the risk of messing something up without a tuner of some sort.

get a 26 tooth front pulley from ohiovrod nice little kick in the pants.

the extended warranty is a good piece of mind to have. just in case something were to happen. some dealerships tell you that any mods that they don't install will void the warranty (bs)

are you planning on going the work yourself? for what you are paying for the bike most dealers give you a 15 percent coupon on p & a. tell them that you want a sevice and parts manual instead.

its your money do what you want with it. and if you have any questions, this is the place to ask. most dealerships don't know jack about vrods.

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks red. I was pretty much planning on getting the Tuner, but thought I would ask.

As for the dealers, that's pretty much the kind of response I have been seeing on the forums. I just talked with the sales guy and he is throwing in a full 3 year warranty for no charge, so I think that will suffice and I will call it a day.

I am fairly mechanical, but I will probably find a shop to do the shocks. The exhaust doesn't seem too challenging and I have read some posts that give a pretty good how-to.

I appreciate the heads up! Thanks!

·
Wick
546 Posts
Did you get my email reply on monday regards Bub7.

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wick - I did man thanks! You definitely sealed the deal on the Bub for me. Still wasn't sure about the legality of it in the states though. I think I will probably just do it and roll with it anyway!

I already have my eye on a seat plate and back rest on ebay!

·
Wick
546 Posts
Good Stuff I think you will find that by the letter of the law every aftermarket exhuast is technically illegal, it just depends on how strict your local constabulary (cops) want to be. Like I said in my email just dont go attracting to much attention in town and I think you will be ok. As for the emissions concern you have, the retuning is what will alter that when your tuner adjusts the Air/Fuel ratio. I have never herd of anyone down under with the cops checking that. Do they check that in the states.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Your exhaust choice is not legal for street use, I would guess per EPA noise guidlines. That being said, I have a CFR on my bike that is stupid loud but I have never been stopped by the law. You will read a lot of threads about it if you hang around here enough but I think the bottom line is you control the amount of noise with your right hand. How you act is how you get teated unless you get pulled over by a hardass.
I would spring for the dyno tuning, it will make for better running bike and maybe just a few extra hp, if max hp #s matters to you. Most agree though a well tuned bike is more important than #s. JMO

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
i agree with pwrman. my cfr is also LAF! thats why i don't get on it in any town.(just ask RSC about his neighbor):hidesbeh: and the salesman throwing in the esp for free? you better read all the fine print before signing anything. you are gonna pay for it some how. the arnotts come with very good step by step instructions, i did mine with help from jaben2

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and the salesman throwing in the esp for free? you better read all the fine print before signing anything. you are gonna pay for it some how.
the arnotts come with very good step by step instructions, i did mine with help from jaben2
Don't worry about that, I have dealt with salesmen long enough to make sure I know what I'm getting!

Does anyone live in the Vegas area that would be willing to help a guy out with some installation? I'll supply the beer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts