Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might as well start out with this...

Project specs were to stick with a stock fender, shave the taillight, lose the turn signal stalks, and create an integrated LED taillight/turn assembly behind smoked plexi with side-lit markers.

I like the "stock but customized" look and try to stay with HD parts wherever possible, doing custom one-off's where necessary.

Started with shaving a new fender...

After welding in plate & cutting out taillight bucket, fender went out for finish body work & paint. Wanted to keep the "stock looking" stripes and finish - shop I used was expensive, but did a great job.

cont'd

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next came the taillight design & integration into a new dogsass. Taillight was handmade with turn signals on separate board so they could be worked on separately. Turn signal mounts were cut out and filled. License plate mount was cut down level with the curve from the side of the dogass.

Light done, now for the dogsass and mounting the LED, then wrapping the entire thing in plexi.

Then installation...

Using the factory harness connectors for the new tailpiece, adding a Kuryakyn Load Equalizer so the TSSM doesn't freak out.

cont'd

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished Project...

Only a little more to go and this bike is finished (as are my savings)...

Rick

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Nice.I love the originality.
I used to fart around w LED's just after I got my first V-Rod.I still run the Bar&Shield led in my 03.When I sold my Softail,I left the Bar&Shield in the rear w integrated T signals.
It's such tedious work,but well worth the effort when you hit the switch.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
wow. nice work. very original. what's the small piece sticking out back under the taillight, just a bracket?

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Outstanding work!!!!! love the classic pic - smoke in mouth, no helmet and giving the finger. hehehehe

Mid controls too huh .. nice

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow. nice work. very original. what's the small piece sticking out back under the taillight, just a bracket?
Transceiver module for a Cheetah Rider M27 Laser Blinder - laser gun jamming system.

Even though we jumped up and down on the rear during install to check the clearance of the bracket for it - had a little, err, mishap, involving getting "air" going over some railroad tracks. Tire caught the bracket and broke it loose. We re-designed the bracket for better clearance, but I'm leaving it off for now until I do the forks and the rest of the ECM stuff on the front. Then I'll re-install that module and the rest of the system...

Rick

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nice I think you might of started something new with your bike.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Wow, you have mad focking skills. Great job!

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, you have mad focking skills. Great job!
Truth be told (and I shoulda from the get-go) - concept is mine - execution of the fab work was done by a really good friend down here - Todd8080 (you can check out his board Todds Harley Pix, though I'm the only VRSC guy on there).

This guy is the fabrication/details MASTER. We've been friends & riding buddies for 20+ years. You pretty much tell him what you want, and this dude can build it. I buy the materials, we co-design the implementation and he builds it. A FOKKIN GENIUS this guy is.

I originally wanted to do the fender shave, and figured to just mount a jap cruisers LED assembly in - then we took it a step further and just built the whole thing from scratch. I've learned much from the guy over the years, and he's really the one who, way back when I started riding HD's, encouraged me to start wrenching my own bikes (despite having mechanical skills, I always had someone else do my work).

My ORIGINAL IDEA for this bike (parts for which I priced the day I picked it up), was to just swap in a Muscle Seat Pan, Fender and lighting. Which would have necessitated using the Muscle seats (which I really didn't care for). Really like the ass end of the Muscle - but it ends there - I much prefer the flowing lines of the Night Rod over the angular look of the Muscle.

So I went with Plan B - Todd and I designed, and Todd built for me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Rick

·
Registered
976 Posts
Rick when you do things .You do them right .Love this set up .The bike looks great .

How many hours did it take to make this master piece .

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
:notworth:

That my man is excellent! Great job.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looks good. Only thing different and what I am doing. I would of cut the fender and had it end on the top of the tire.. Looks really good though and the painter did good as well.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Looks good. Only thing different and what I am doing. I would of cut the fender and had it end on the top of the tire.. Looks really good though and the painter did good as well.
If I'm understanding you correct, you would want to cut the fender then put the dogs ass below it? If so, that wouldn't work, you would not have tire clearance. First substantial bump you hit would smash the lighting. Plus you would not be able to use the existing dogs ass as a template.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts