Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
revolt on
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2010 nr with 1000ks on it and it is making a weird noise from the clutch. not sure if this is normal with the slipper clutch but when im ridding slowly and have to slip the clutch it makes a grinding shuddering sound that i aint heard on anything i have riddin before. also if i leave my fingers on the clutch lever and open and shut the throttle while im ridding i feel a lot of feedback through the lever..is this normal or not??

·
Flat Broke
277 Posts
Shouldn't make any noise, but feedback sounds normal. Should feel like the front brake a bit. The shuddering sound sounds like you need to give it more throttle. Bike at anything under 3K will shutter with no clutch

·
revolt on
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the feedback is when lightly holding the lever while ridding then backing off the throttle it will come out about 5mm then open the throttle and it will come in about 5mm.. and the noise is when i dont want to lug the engine so ill slip the clutch a bit but i get this weird noise.

·
Flat Broke
277 Posts
I would get it looked at. Still under MFG warranty. I have the 10 Muscle and no noise. Feedback does seem about right though, I think it's due to hydraulic clutch. Noise however doesn't sound normal.

·
revolt on
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didnt think it was right and its done it from day one.. its ok when i take off from a standstill but if im moving a little then slip the clutch its like it is dry and shuddering.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
I've had that grinding/shuttering sound since day one on my two V-Rods. It's part of the charm of the beast and has nothing to do with the slipper clutch. I can reproduce at will but I choose not to because it is frightening. A slight pull on the lever at certain times produces the grinding.

·
Flat Broke
277 Posts
I've had that grinding/shuttering sound since day one on my two V-Rods. It's part of the charm of the beast and has nothing to do with the slipper clutch. I can reproduce at will but I choose not to because it is frightening. A slight pull on the lever at certain times produces the grinding.
Interesting. I guess I have never pulled it just right. I have never heard a grinding noise. Guess I am too busy flying through gears lol

·
revolt on
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah same here i can make it happen whenever i want.. it just dont feel or sound to good...so you think it is normal for these bikes to do that ay??

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
what rpm does it happen in?

·
revolt on
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
say 1st gear goin slow up a hill and then just slipping the clutch a little to get goin without lugging the engine.. not to sure on the rpms but very low.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
say 1st gear goin slow up a hill and then just slipping the clutch a little to get goin without lugging the engine.. not to sure on the rpms but very low.
same here - low rpms, low speed

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Mine doesn't do that. These oil bath clutches should be quiet. I can take off at any rpm (that the engine will pull), easy or hard, no noise. I can putter around in a parking lot with the clutch on the edge of engagement, cycling it in and out just to keep the bike rolling, with no noise. I would have it checked. It is not normal.

·
bcrichard
139 Posts
In the 16,000 miles I've put on my '08 I have heard this grinding sound twice. Both times I was slowing down to turn onto a side street in 2nd gear and slipping the clutch through the turn, I quickly pull in the clutch and slipped it into 1st and the grinding stopped.

·
revolt on
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i heard it first time with about 200ks on it and it has happened a lot since like i said i can make it happen whenever i want..will get it checked on the first service but wont be happy if they gotta open up the engine!!!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I can make just about any vehicle do this w a manual release clutch.Especially a manual clutch system like a motorcycle has.The noise is from lugging the engine.Havn't you ever driven a vehicle w a stick shift and no clutch? The same noise will happen when you come to a stop and lug the engine down without releasing the trans from the engine.

Stop lugging the engine and use the friction zone to your advantage.If you keep letting the clutch basket vibrate and make this noise,the vibration could crack the basket.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
I can make just about any vehicle do this w a manual release clutch.Especially a manual clutch system like a motorcycle has.The noise is from lugging the engine.Havn't you ever driven a vehicle w a stick shift and no clutch? The same noise will happen when you come to a stop and lug the engine down without releasing the trans from the engine.

Stop lugging the engine and use the friction zone to your advantage.If you keep letting the clutch basket vibrate and make this noise,the vibration could crack the basket.
:them:

·
revolt on
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

it aint the lugging!! i dont lug the engine i slip the clutch as not to lug the engine.. but this is when i get this noise while slipping the clutch..can you lug the engine while slipping the clutch?? i have driven all sorts of cars and i have driven trucks,i have been riding bikes for the last 30 years and owned that many bikes i cant remember how many and i have never come across this..its a brand new bike and it shouldnt make a screaching chattery grinding sound when i slip the clutch..

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
it aint the lugging!! i dont lug the engine i slip the clutch as not to lug the engine.. but this is when i get this noise while slipping the clutch..can you lug the engine while slipping the clutch?? i have driven all sorts of cars and i have driven trucks,i have been riding bikes for the last 30 years and owned that many bikes i cant remember how many and i have never come across this..its a brand new bike and it shouldnt make a screaching chattery grinding sound when i slip the clutch..

Well don't get on my case,I didn't make it do this!:spank:

I'm not there checking your bike,but I'm pretty sure I know the noise you are talking about.I have 2 V-Rods,bought new,and I can make them both do this,providing we are talking about the same thing here.
From your description,and from what I can experience on mine,it's the clutch chattering,and the basket rattling.Like I say,I can make most any clutch do this.It's harder to force the vibration with a diaphragm,or a bellville apply system,because these type springs absorb the vibration.The wound apply springs don't suck up the noise as well.

If this were my bike that was still covered under factory warranty,I would take it by the dealer.I would ask to speak w the shop foreman and explain the situation.Have an RO written,and let the shop foreman experience the concern you have.Be sure to have an RO written before he checks the bike for 2 reasons,#1 is for liability,if something happens to him or the bike while he's testing,the shop will cover it,#2 is so that if he says it's OK,then you have a record of your compliant should this become a break down further up the road.
I have a very good relationship w the local dealer.I do biz w them,and in return they do biz w me.
Do yourself a favor and keep a good attitude when you first confront the people in the dealer.They didn't make the bike,nor did they break it,they are just the dummy's that have to fix it.:)

·
revolt on
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cheers not on your case.. just trying to get across that i know the diff between lugging and that the clutch dont feel right.. so you think this may be normal for these bikes cause it just feels and sounds so wrong..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts