Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a moron, i didn't put my battery on a tender this winter and went out to start her up last week and...DEAD. Had the battery tested because it wouldn't hold a charge, and it was dead. So i bought a new one from the harley dealership, took apart my bike an installed the new one. Put the bottom of the air box back on, connected the battery, put the maxi fuse back in, and went to start her up. Everything seemed normal, gauges lit up, fuel pump whined, etc..., and then when i pressed start, NOTHING. Heard a clicking down by the fuse cluster, but the d*mn thing wouldn't turn over. Any ideas? I went back and eliminated all human errors that i could have made, and i am stumped. Any help is good. S/F.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sounds like the battery is still dead if it's just clicking. Chances are the "new" battery has been sitting on the shelf at the stealer-ship discharging for months and not being charge like they are suppose to.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
check the connection at the battery. if the lights stayed on after you let off of the starter button, it may be a ground problem and or the connection at the starter.

·
Registered
384 Posts
check the connection at the battery. if the lights stayed on after you let off of the starter button, it may be a ground problem and or the connection at the starter.
Very good advice. Mine was doing the same thing it would make noise lights would come on and everything one minute and the next nothing. Turned out when I put the battery tender pigtail in I didn't get the negative post quite tight enough and it was just loose enough to wreak havoc on the electrical system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the sage advice. Checked my connections, to include all grounds. Tried to start and nothing, just clicking at the fuze box. I tried switching the fan and starter relay to see what would happen, and she fired right up. Just need to order a new relay and all is well. Thanks yall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts