Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a build on a 2008 VRSCD that I bought as a project bike and thought I'd start a thread on it and follow it through until it's completion. I am also throwing out a challenge to Rob over at HogPro who is currently doing a build on a 2013 VRSCDX, and maybe we can both keep you guys entertained as we see what these bikes end up as. I wanted to use a D because I like the fact they have a bit of silver and chrome to go with the black. The bike I bought is a 2008 Miller Lite Edition and it came with some upgrades that don't fit with what I'm doing so I'll be removing them. I actually have already started some of this, as I'll show you. Anyway, here's a picture of it right after I bought it. I see possibilities. In the picture, it's sitting next to my '04A which I'm almost finished with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so it started out with stock exhaust with V&H Widow slip-ons. Those are now off and I have temporarily installed a DanMoto 2 into 1. On order is a black CutThroat from Fitzgerald Motorsports. The saddlebags that were on it have been removed. The mid controls have been exchanged for forwards (sorry to you D purists who like the mids- I don't care for them). The headlight that came with it has been replaced with a stock D with cowl. On order from MS-Biketec is their cowl lowering kit with cluster bracket. This kit will lower the headlight and cowl and allow me to mount the instrument cluster behind the cowl, below the handlebars. It's a pretty sweet setup and allows me to run drag bars and risers also from MS-Biketec. I want this bike to be down and dirty. Here's a picture of the bike today and a pic of the handlebars, risers, mirrors and front turn signals I just received.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I ordered from HogPro (Thanks Rob for the great deal):
1) Black 300 Swingarm Kit
2) Black Arnott Air Suspension w/ Handlebar Switch
3) 300 mm Ride Hard Rod Rear Fender w/built-in brake light.
This includes a solo seat pan. It's also the exact same fender Rob is using, but let me say I tried to get a slightly different one, the smooth version without vents and with built-in turn signals but Rob (Hogpro is a distributor for these) told me RHR hasn't finished making molds for the smooth fender in a 300 mm version and if I wanted a fender in the next year from them I'd better get this one. Either that or he didn't want my bike to look cooler that his... just kidding Rob!

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, now for one of the most important items- the wheels. I am going a route here that ISN'T:
1. The most expensive.
2. The most obvious.
3. The easiest.

It hasn't been done either, as far as I know. I'm taking some stock 2012 10th Anniversary DX wheels, the same ones I used for my 240 mod on my '04, and having the rear one widened for a 300mm tire. Then I'm having the front and back wheels powder-coated blue to match the lighter shade of my bike. Except, only the parts that aren't polished silver will be coated. This will leave them blue and silver. Here's a picture of the back wheel and you can see the grey part at the center which will be blue. There's also a picture of the grey/silver wheel on my '04. This is going to be interesting on the D with the black frame, swingarm, and suspension. I will have to balance the bright/ chrome parts out on the bike to go with the "black and blue" aspect.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and I should point out here that as far as wheel widening goes, Sandy Kosman was the go-to guy forever to get a wheel widened. Well, no longer. I finally talked to him the other week and seems he sold that part of his business too and moved to...my home town, right here in Portland Oregon. Seems he might be retired, and the guy he sold it to finally called me back and said he's too busy with his other business to run the one he bought from Sandy. So...I found a company called Rimspec in Texas that looks like they do excellent work, and they quoted me $250-$325 to widen and also machine out some damage. And they said 3 day turnaround time. I know Kosman did excellent work but he also charged more like $700 and wanted 4-6 weeks. Rimspec uses all computerized equipment and I looked at before and after pictures of their work and it looks amazing. I'll post pictures of the wheel when it comes back next week, before it gets powdercoated.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! Can't wait to see the transformation. If you're getting rid of the highway pegs and hand levers, let me know and I'll get em before the vultures begin to circle. :-D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
My bike was missing the highway pegs when I got it, and all the mid control parts were swapped with a local Harley mechanic so it cost me nothing to change things. I'm not getting rid of the hand levers, they go with the black-and-chrome effect I have going. I probably will have a big sale on parts when I'm done with the build.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Looks like your parts you just ordered got put on backorder:angeldev:

Looking forward to seeing this build and getting inspired to get my bike going again.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:rofl:
Yeah well since you just sold me the fender and seat pan you were going to put on your bike, I may have just slowed you down! But yeah, this will be fun.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Parts from Hogpro came in today. Thanks Rob! I'm so glad you sold me the Ride Hard Rod 300 fender and seat base you were going to use on your build. Now I have something to do while I wait on parts from Germany, Austria and my wheel from Texas. It's supposed to ship next Monday/Tuesday so hopefully I can drop it off at the powdercoater by next Friday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I decided to start on the fender this afternoon and I have to say the quality is great. The fender is extremely solid and needs only minor prep to paint. The instructions were in German and after translating, I found then to be pretty lacking but I get the idea of what I have to do. After removing the stock parts I used my grinder to remove over half of the inner fender. I also have to bend down the remaining part to fit the fender. I'm almost there but I think I need to get out my big sledgehammer tomorrow. Luckily it unbolts off the bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hardest part of the fender looks like it's going to be fitting the electrical where they need to go. The instructions show the ECM, TSC and anything else fitting in the pocket behind the fuel cap area, with a simple bracket they provide. The bracket only mounts the ECM and everything else is supposed to attach to that with tie straps. This will be a challenge. I'm glad I don't have a security system on this bike. Looks like the fuse panel will have to end up close to the fuel cap but maybe I can find an alternative. Here's the picture from their instructions, looking from inside the fender forward with the splash guard removed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so today it looks like I'm going backward but I thought I'd just get rid of the stuff on the back half of the bike I'm replacing. Turns out it's the entire back half of the bike. A few things done also. Started on the Hogpro swingarm. So far so good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A little more done today; swingarm installed. since the HogPro swingarm is solid billet there's no way to run the wiring for the side mount plate light inside so I opted to drill and tap holes under the bottom left side and one in the center left of the crossbar where black plastic wire clamps will be installed. Spacers for Arnott are figured out. I decided to install my rear turn signals on the inboard side of the airshocks since the swingarm pushes everything out so far. I am going to use some ABS plastic for temp spacers on the wheel to get everything lined up. I figure on machining spacers between the wheel and the comp bowl and the wheel and the brake rotor. Rob, I guess we'll see how hard it is to use a widened HD wheel on your HogPro swingarm. The fender and seat base are ready for install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They said it will ship today or tomorrow. Then off to the powdercoater. Damn I just saw that Velocity wheel you got. I'm drooling.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts