Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New member here. Just bought a 2008 Anniversary Edition yesterday, with all of 1,250 miles on it! Bike is in brand new condition and I love every bit of it, but am spoiled by the Ultimate-X seat on my VTX.

I was doing some research and it looks like the Sundowner seat is the one for me... but I'm not sure if it is an option for my bike..? I'm a Honda VTX1300C convert and things were a bit easier for that bike in terms of finding parts. Not as many factory changes I guess.

Any how, can someone point me in the right direction? I would like a touring seat for me and the girlfriend, as well as a small sissy bar for her. Is that a thing?

·
Jeep + Cage = Fun
35 Posts
Hey guys! New member here. Just bought a 2008 Anniversary Edition yesterday, with all of 1,250 miles on it! Bike is in brand new condition and I love every bit of it, but am spoiled by the Ultimate-X seat on my VTX.

I was doing some research and it looks like the Sundowner seat is the one for me... but I'm not sure if it is an option for my bike..? I'm a Honda VTX1300C convert and things were a bit easier for that bike in terms of finding parts. Not as many factory changes I guess.

Any how, can someone point me in the right direction? I would like a touring seat for me and the girlfriend, as well as a small sissy bar for her. Is that a thing?
I just swapped that setup to another 03 Vrod guy. You're looking for something like this (I had a link but I don't have enough posts to attach links). Go to HD's site and punch in your bike and you'll see what you're looking for along with some of the parts you'll need. The other parts you need are definitely out there on eBay and other resellers to accomplish what you want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just swapped that setup to another 03 Vrod guy. You're looking for something like this (I had a link but I don't have enough posts to attach links). Go to HD's site and punch in your bike and you'll see what you're looking for along with some of the parts you'll need. The other parts you need are definitely out there on eBay and other resellers to accomplish what you want.
Thanks kobbs! It looks like the Sundowner is not available for pillion seat, but the touring seat is. The part, and part number, that I cannot find is the fender baseplate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, Tyler.

I have a Sundowner w/ pillion/backrest I just took off of my 07 D. I believe all AW seats are interchangeable w/ this model (anybody can chime in if not). I'm looking for an AW seat, as I ride solo and like the profile.

Would you be interested in a trade?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, Tyler.

I have a Sundowner w/ pillion/backrest I just took off of my 07 D. I believe all AW seats are interchangeable w/ this model (anybody can chime in if not). I'm looking for an AW seat, as I ride solo and like the profile.

Would you be interested in a trade?
Absolutely! Could you post some pictures to show the condition of your seats? Also, do you have the fender base plate?

My bike is the wide tire frame. I'll snap some pictures of the seats and send them to you. The bike was kept in a garage under a cover and has 1,250 miles on it so they are in pretttttty good shape! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tyler, I apologize - I'm looking for an all-black seat. I'm gone til Monday, but I'll take pics of everything I have when I get back in case anyone's interested. It's the Sundowner w/ pillion, the chrome piece that attaches to the rear fender, and the rack and pillion back rest that attach to that piece. I'll also check to see if I can find a part number for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tyler, I apologize - I'm looking for an all-black seat. I'm gone til Monday, but I'll take pics of everything I have when I get back in case anyone's interested. It's the Sundowner w/ pillion, the chrome piece that attaches to the rear fender, and the rack and pillion back rest that attach to that piece. I'll also check to see if I can find a part number for you.
Hi, the part number the fender base plate is below. Fits 07-11 AW's

Fender Base Plate Kit
51138-07
$139.95

51138-07 HARLEY-DAVIDSON® FENDER BASE PLATE KITS
Fits '07-'11 VRSCAW, VRSCDX and VRSCX models. Chrome. Styled to give your VRSC motorcycle street appeal, this Base Plate provides the attachment point for upright and luggage rack options....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, the part number the fender base plate is below. Fits 07-11 AW's

Fender Base Plate Kit
51138-07
$139.95

51138-07 HARLEY-DAVIDSON® FENDER BASE PLATE KITS
Fits '07-'11 VRSCAW, VRSCDX and VRSCX models. Chrome. Styled to give your VRSC motorcycle street appeal, this Base Plate provides the attachment point for upright and luggage rack options....
Thanks so much! There's a forum member with the baseplate as well as backrest that I'm hoping to snag. That's the last part that's keeping us from switching over from the VTX. I really wish Ultimate Seats made a set for the Vrod, they are so great on the VTX. With that said, the sundowner that I purchased from a different forum member should arrive today... so maybe I will change my tune :)

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks so much! There's a forum member with the baseplate as well as backrest that I'm hoping to snag. That's the last part that's keeping us from switching over from the VTX. I really wish Ultimate Seats made a set for the Vrod, they are so great on the VTX. With that said, the sundowner that I purchased from a different forum member should arrive today... so maybe I will change my tune :)

Thanks guys!!
I love the Sundowner seat. I had one on my 04, but after I got my 07 I didn't buy one in time and it was very hard to find. Finally found one though.

·
Jeep + Cage = Fun
35 Posts
I love the Sundowner seat. I had one on my 04, but after I got my 07 I didn't buy one in time and it was very hard to find. Finally found one though.
The Sundowner is amazing but I traded it for the Willie G seat. The Willie G looks stunning, but the Sundowner sits like a sofa. Given that I have an '03 and get maybe 120 miles of range, I'm not sitting on it for all THAT long, so.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tyler, sorry it's taken so long, if I'm the member you're talking about. Here're some pics of the seats/backrest. I don't know about pricing - 60% of
new + shipping? If there's something cheaper on Ebay, we can work that out too. Honestly haven't priced anything out yet. Lmk if there's something here you might want, thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/HWBPm6n

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi likesilver,

I guess you are guy#2 :) I was hoping for a black baseplate and am working with another member via PM to purchase his. If it falls through I will probably be bothering you about yours and see if I can get it stripped and powder coated. Thanks man!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're interested in selling the parts separately, I am looking for a Sundowner pillion seat. Hard to tell in picture if that is it or not. We got the "touring" seat and it's OK but I only want the best for my partner in crime here. Plus this bike was mainly to satisfy my need for speed... Don't want to downgrade her much from that VTX!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Actually, it looks just like the touring seat, after looking it up. Previous owner said Sundowner, must've meant the rider seat.

More pics if you want to see, the stitching matches the touring, doesn't match the Sundowner pillion.

https://imgur.com/a/3LnmUku

Btw, how was the VTX? Reason for the switch?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, it looks just like the touring seat, after looking it up. Previous owner said Sundowner, must've meant the rider seat.

More pics if you want to see, the stitching matches the touring, doesn't match the Sundowner pillion.

https://imgur.com/a/3LnmUku

Btw, how was the VTX? Reason for the switch?
It does look exactly like the touring seat that we have, so I'm guessing it is the touring model.

I still have the VTX but it is for sale, just don't need two bikes. It's a 2006 VTX1300C. I bought it used with low miles- around 3,000 I think. It hasn't had a single hiccup. Just been dead reliable, starts every time. We put "Ultimate" seats and some saddlebags, as well as a big windscreen on it. I really love the bike and had no intention of replacing it. 21,500 miles on it.

I was always of the mind that I would eventually end up on something like a Goldwing when I got older, as we keep trying to do longer and longer distance rides and like to do some camping. I like the Goldwings but I just cannot imagine getting one, it's a flippin Goldwing for crying out loud. Everytime we would go past a bike that I liked I would say "how about that one?" over the intercom to my GF. Man, she is really picky. Almost every time "no, I like your bike better."

Really what I wanted was more horsepower. I've ridden a few different bikes and I knew that cruisers just don't have that. Then my buddy got a BMW 1200GS and I took it for a spin. I really liked the motor but wasn't into the height of the bike. We keep it on pavement as well so it didn't do much for me.

Like an idiot I test drove a v-rod. Twisted the throttle and this time I head "I think we should buy it." After a week or two the poor VTX had been replaced. We went for a ride a few days ago on the VTX and felt like I was driving around a shopping cart with weed wacker motor in it. Really comfortable seats on that shopping cart though!

In all honesty the VTX has been a fantastic bike. It's very much a Honda.

V-Rod motor makes damn near double the horsepower though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tyler, sorry it's taken so long, if I'm the member you're talking about. Here're some pics of the seats/backrest. I don't know about pricing - 60% of
new + shipping? If there's something cheaper on Ebay, we can work that out too. Honestly haven't priced anything out yet. Lmk if there's something here you might want, thanks!

Hi likesilver, I'm looking for a seat that let me ride my bike for long hirs. I have a vrscaw 2008 and I want a sundowner seat like the one you have. And my ? Is how much are you asking? And where are you located? Also you Can reach me at [email protected] that is my personal email . Thank you wait for you answer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts