Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, a fix. The new design for the front breather assembly between the airbox and front cylinder head is a HUGE improvement. It will retro back to other models which is great. This impacts so many people and is long overdue.
The brass insert for the front head had a narrow O.D. at the top which was supposed to seal in the 2007 design. That narrow O.D. now extends to almost half of the length of the tube. The molded insert in the airbox which used to try and seal against the top of the tube, now covers the entire narrow O.D. of the tube. The early proto I saw had 5 sealing molded in rings in the I.D. of the molded insert. With the two individual pieces in each hand when seated correctly was difficult to take apart.
Just wanted to take a minute and share my happiness about the MOCO doing something simple right, finally.

·
Banned
787 Posts
The cheap and easy way to get a better seal on that slip fit front breather hose is to buy a new hose from Autozone, O'Reilly's or anyplace like that and cut it just slightly longer that the stock length so that when you plact the airbox bottom over it, you have to apply slight downward pressure to bottom the airbox on the top of the throttle body. The rear plastic nipple that a rubber hose fits onto usually collapses when you try to tighten the water hose clamp around it. I took a piece of pipe that had the o.d. the same size of the i.d. of that nipple on the rear of the airbox bottom and inserted it in like a compression fit and voila, the water hose clamp can be tightened and not collapse the nipple. Just something that may help those with sealing problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Stupid question but I may not be the only one---What is happening when the breather does not seal? I've never noticed a problem but it sounds like there is a large one that is possible.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
DonA said:
Stupid question but I may not be the only one---What is happening when the breather does not seal? I've never noticed a problem but it sounds like there is a large one that is possible.
Leaks oil on the cam covers and makes a mess.

·
Registered
531 Posts
VRTURK said:
Finally, a fix. The new design for the front breather assembly between the airbox and front cylinder head is a HUGE improvement. It will retro back to other models which is great. This impacts so many people and is long overdue.
The brass insert for the front head had a narrow O.D. at the top which was supposed to seal in the 2007 design. That narrow O.D. now extends to almost half of the length of the tube. The molded insert in the airbox which used to try and seal against the top of the tube, now covers the entire narrow O.D. of the tube. The early proto I saw had 5 sealing molded in rings in the I.D. of the molded insert. With the two individual pieces in each hand when seated correctly was difficult to take apart.
Just wanted to take a minute and share my happiness about the MOCO doing something simple right, finally.

The Attachment specifies will only retro fit to '05 models. I have a '03. Benn trying to seal this thing for years - haven't found a permanent fix yet....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread here..

Has anybody tried this on a 02 - '04? I have problems with my front breather leaking all the time('03). Can't really visualize this new design hooks up - do I need to buy an '08 air box?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Several of us have had the rear breather come loose. Red locktite, 40K miles ago.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
My 07 hose fits great on the tapered end,it's the end in the cam cover w the O-ring that weeps a little and attracts dust.
VRTURK,are you sayin the 08 has multiple O-rings that fit in the cam cover?
I am real tempted to tap threads in the 03 and install pipe fittings w barbs on the hose end when I rip the engine out.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I am not. The improvement is to the front head breather tube connection at the airbox.

·
Registered
531 Posts
smoothrod said:
Whats the part number of the parts needed, does anybody have an 08 parts manual yet?

29601-05k Tube Assembly, front breather. Is the part in the head.

As far as my research went this will fit in your cyl head. It is the bottom air box that has changed. The breather tubes go straight from the head into the oil separator, they are permanently attached to it.

29435-05 Bottom air cleaner, w/29504-05 & 29505-05 MRSP $52.93

These are the only two parts you need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts