Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the noobiness here. I spent about 20 minutes searching and didn't come up with any threads about this. If I missed it, sorry for the duplicate question.

This question involves a stock 2007 vrscdx headlight.

So, long story short, I needed to take off a fairing and go back to my stock cowl. I didn't put on the new fairing, but I am taking it off and putting the stock cowl on.

I got the fairing off just fine. However, when I am going back to install the cowl, I am stumped with the wire(s) going into the headlight. The wires going into the headlight housing don't seem to come out of the housing. Sooooo...I can't get the wires out to thread them through the stock headlight support.

I called the guy that did the install of the fairing, but he said he didn't remember cutting/splicing the wires.

So, the question is: Must I cut and resplice the wires to put the original cowl and headlight bracket back on?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'll look thru some pictures of mine when I get home. I took some when I was tearing it down a while back. I did remove it once or twice and I know I didn't have to cut any wires. Maybe I didn't completely remove it tho. I can't remember clearly. But I'll see if I can find any help when I get home. If no one else chimes in by then.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks Acid. I'm thumbing through the service manual for some more guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The back of the headlamp bucket shows another connector. Is that buried somewhere behind the tripletree?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
801 Posts
I took my cowl off multiple times when I wrecked so I could sand and paint it. I know I didn't cut anything. I did remove the head light from the headlight bucket to change the bulb too and still I know there was no cutting.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Doesn't the back of the cowl -- the bowl that the stock headlight sits in -- come off with 4 bolts? Once you take that off, there is an opening on the bottom that you thread the wires through. I've got a pic here if you need help -- but basically the cowl is two pieces, the cowl itself, and the bowl part that sits behind the headlight.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Okay, here you go... see the back of the cowl below. It is two pieces. Remove the 4 bolts at the yellow arrows and the bowl comes off. You can see the bottom of the bowl is open (red line), so your wires fit through the opening at the bottom, then just bolt it back together. Make sense?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I think I need more pictures of with arrows and stuff to figure out exactly what you need here. I looked at mine today and the cowling should come off completely without affecting any wires.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Speak of the devil.
I don't see why you need to separate the headlight from the headlight bucket. You should just transfer the whole headlight assembly to the two cowling pieces. That gap in the back section lets the wires go thru it.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Apologies -- I see what you are asking is for the wires to go through the stock headlight support. I was no help there.

How about removing the other end of the headlight wires -- the plug from behind the side cover -- and thread THAT end through the support?

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Speak of the devil.
I don't see why you need to separate the headlight from the headlight bucket. You should just transfer the whole headlight assembly to the two cowling pieces. That gap in the back section lets the wires go thru it.
Yeah, I think I get it now. He wants the wires going through that opening in the headlight mount he's holding in the first pic. Only way I can see doing that is unplugging the other end of the wires under the side cover and threading that end through the mount.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Mine never went through the support opening. It goes back to the rear of the triple tree area and is nylon-tied with other wires running to the hook up area behind the left louvre or cover. Your making it way too complicated for yourself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts