Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have read many articles about converting from 180 to 240 but still unsure about a few things and hope someone may jump in....

I have the 2007 VRSCD Night Rod, stock 180 rear wheel. I bought a 240 wheel (8 " x 18") slotted aluminum wheel - looks exactly the same but wider. I also bought a skinny (1") belt and new rear sprocket apparently for a conversion - but they look like the one already on the bike pretty much.

Can I just swap the wheel over, or do I need spacers, to trim the caliper mount on the swingarm, etc?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You have a 2007 so I'm not 100% positive because that year always confused me. But.... if I remember correctly, spacers on belt side should stay the same, you will need to machine a spacer for the right side so that the caliper is centered on the rotor nicely. Yes notch the caliper mount( 2 minute job). The pulley can be used as is or get it machined down to belt width, looks better this way. Now I'm not sure about the axle size on an '07. you might want to check and if different you might have to change out the bearings in the wheel. I will try and dig up a page that might be helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello,

I have read many articles about converting from 180 to 240 but still unsure about a few things and hope someone may jump in....

I have the 2007 VRSCD Night Rod, stock 180 rear wheel. I bought a 240 wheel (8 " x 18") slotted aluminum wheel - looks exactly the same but wider. I also bought a skinny (1") belt and new rear sprocket apparently for a conversion - but they look like the one already on the bike pretty much.

Can I just swap the wheel over, or do I need spacers, to trim the caliper mount on the swingarm, etc?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
So, I converted my 2006 VRSCD night rod to a 240 wide tire (with a 2007) wide 240 slotted stock wheel. I replaced the wide belt pulley with a narrow pulley, and installed the narrow width belt required. After replacing the 3.8 gallon 06 gas tank, I also bought an 07 wider fender, turn signal mount and fender support. Because some 07's came with a 240 tire and wheel on other VRSCAW models, the 07 night rod "D"was sold with a 180 tire / wheel, but already has the narrow pulley, narrow belt, wider fender and clearance shaved swingarm caliper slide. I had to miter cut a 45°angle the front edge of my swing arm. Anyway, the stock swing arm bolt, spacers, worked just fine. However. It is necessary to unbolt my rotor from the right side of the wheel holding it while simultaneously drawing out the wheel to remove and install it with the caliper in position. I also bought and installed a narrower belt guard, as this was also necessary. For your 07 nightrod, I believe your interchange will be easier because of the same year other models having a 240 wheel. I had to trial and error my 06 but VMOD.COM ( chopper Steve is / was my info and parts source) for my conversion as was the German bought gas tank purchase, along with Ebay seat purchases for the fender parts and seat. I put mini apes, converted to " reduced reach forward controls", installed floorboards, replaced the right side frame rail (powder coated it black from silver) to allow relocation and installation of a forward mounted brake master cylinder, reservoir, longer brake hose, brake switch etc. Longer throttle cables, front brake line, longer hydraulic clutch hose, reworked brake lines, and a 2007 VRSAW spoked front wheel. All this work was done by comparison and measurements to wire the bars internally and cut / extend the harness. This took me a few years to accomplish. I'm happy to have a great performance "D" model for long distance , trouble free 35,000 + miles.Good luck 👍

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know about an '06 or '07 D, do they have the 5 gallon fuel tank? If so, then it has the wider frame. I converted an '08 VRSCD to 240 and all I had to change was the wheel along with new bearings and inner wheel sleeve/spacer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts