Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Newbie here. I know the exhaust subject is not new and there is tons of info on the forum. I have read quite a few and got myself confused. Just when I think I have a solution, someone else shoots it down.

I will explain the problem and provide you with what I know and hopefully someone can provide me with the latest up to date info that works. I would be very grateful.

My nightrod is fitted with BUB jug huggers 2 in 2 (Chrome and in as new condition). They sound great, look great but are too loud. My neighbours (at least one) will not tolerate this. I thought that I could get some baffles which would solve the problem. BUB have confirmed that they DO NOT make baffles for the huggers for VRODS. !!

I do have a power commander fitted and the bike runs well. I put a sound meter near my pipes and I am pushing out 105 -110 DB at 4000 RPM. Some of my co-workers comment daily on the noise level. I am no Sheila but I would rather find a solution and keep the peace than tell all these blokes to shit in it and cause a civil war.

Anyway, I have spoken to HD and they suggested that I buy one of their power packs, secondly they have offered me a Screaming eagle system and a V&H Competition system to choose from.

The bike has done under 3,000 KM but the original owner did not keep his original system. HD has quoted some phenominal prices for the original headers, pipework, shields etc etc. to be ordered from the US.

Any suggestions as to be the best course of action?

1. Another after market (V&H or SE)? but will be just as noisy as the BUB's?

2. Bite the bullet and get the new OEM headers and pipework etc and play around with some slip ons? Which one's?

Well blokes, any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Niko

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The Screaming eagle system will be alot quieter but if its the 2-1 Vance/hines indy pipe is loud from what I hear if thats the one there selling.. Also welcome to 1130cc!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Not sure who steered you wrong at Bub but they do make a baffle for the VROD Jug Huggers. I Have the Bub Jug Huggers on my 07 DX and I have the baffles installed in it, now mind you they are still load but it does help reduce the noise (music) some. I have been thinking about wrapping the baffles with fiberglass to help bring it down a few more notches sometime in the future.

The P/N is 22-00040/2 and is listed on their web site for $25 USD

The direct Link to V-ROD Jug Hugger Baffle at Bub's website is HERE Good luck and hope it helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply and the information provided. It is appreciated..

I did ask BUB direct regarding the baffles on their website and they sent a short email stating that the baffles are NOT for VROD. They did not explain why but were quite clear they did not make baffles for the VROD. I have kept the email and can provide more details etc (persons name at BUB etc) and if you PM me, I will be able to forward the email on. I must say, I was very surprised with their answer.

On another note, I spoke to a bloke today about his VROD. I met him at our local Harley dealership. He was just a customer who is on his 3rd VROD. He has an original OEM system but his mufflers have been VModed. A small section has been drilled out and they sound great and at a low enough level to keep on the neighbors good side.

Only problem is that I will have to buy the original headers, mufflers etc which I fear will not be cheap. So be it. Big mistake asking the bloke at Harley spares if they sold the second hand original pipes when someone upgrades. Well that was a stupid question which drew everyone's attention at the service desk. I was quickly advised that second pipes are not sold but are sent back to the HD for crushing. Yep, it sucks to be a newbie but one day, i want to be the expert. :)

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Apologies Okieboy. You were RIGHT !!. I recd another email from BUB stating that there are baffles after all. 60 USD plus postage but will only lower the sound by a couple of Db's. They also said not to expect any great change and it will still sound basically the same.

I will try them and if that fails, on with some new original pipes with VMOD Mufflers.

Saga continues

cheers

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Kimara,

I think your idea of buying second hand pipes off someone else dealer upgrade is a great idea and suspect they were jerking your chain about sending them back to the factory to be crushed. I can't believe they would go to that expense just to take them off the market.

Your best bet since you are in Australia (loved Perth by the way) is post up a parts wanted or trade post in the special interest "Australia" classifieds Link here

I am sure you can find someone over in your are that has upgraded or is wanting to swap you their stock pipes for your Bub's. The V-Modded stock pipes are a good way to go, I have done that in the past also. I will agree with Bub on one thing that the pipes are still load with the baffles all though I have never removed them I can't imagine they could get much louder. I may try removing them before I pack the fiberglass in to see if they are much louder though but don't plan on doing so until this winter. Hope this helps and enjoy the ride no matter what you put on the bike...

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Now you know why the factory system is so big! It takes a lot of work to reduce the sound to legal level. Finding an OEM system is the easy way to comply, but most people are keeping them now because of noise regs and chance of a ticket.

Bubs web site talks of a 1.75 inch baffle, I think you may have to make your own. Is there a custom exhaust shop near you? The trick is to break up the sound waves and reflect then back on them selves. This cancels them out to reduce the noise. Get an old muffler from a car and cut it apart and you will find the parts that do this.

Main baffle part is a pipe with lots of holes in it. Often wrapped in fiber glass to help break up the waves.

You will find any exhaust with a clear run through will be too loud for the people around you.

Dealers will tell you they keep nothing but they are in the market to sell NEW. Check the breakers, ebay, local listings for OEM pipes. Too quiet some say but they never get you a ticket!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The three disc insert from Car Chemistry will get you about as quiet or quieter then you want to be...I think our jug huggers have a 2.5" ID but double check yours before you order. To install them it does require pulling the stock baffles out and replacing them with the Car Chemistry inserts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Gents. I really appreciate the effort you guys took in replying. I have decided to give the hugger baffles a go (wrapped in fibreglass) and I will buy some Vmod mufflers (Love the sound) as well. If I stay on the road, I will take the time to by the OEM pipes as they become available but if I run out of luck, I already have a quote to buy the OEM pipes and shields and it aint cheap.

p.s. The Car chemistry gear looks interesting and maybe worth a bit more of a look.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
look in these classifieds you can find some really good bargains! If you decide to go with the OEM pipes!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a reverse problem....i went with V&C powershots and they are too quiet for me. I know they are not supposed to fit a D......but 30 min with a scrap bin at work and a welder and I made a bracket that fits perfectly. The powershots are louder than stock...but I have never heard of a quieter system on a vrod. I found a set on this forum for around 300 buck if I remember right. I did have to put forward controls on at the same time.

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
Make one! See "joe's looong muffler", or MWDHAND's custom job. Any local shop can weld up a "Y" pipe, and you fit any muffler you want. Way cheaper. See "tired of compromise" in the R section. Plenty of ideas, and even if you can't DIY, A LOCAL SHOP CAN! Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again gents. Great info and I have checked it out. I went with the baffles but they were straight through and still too loud. I noticed that the original baffles had three "V"'s cut into the body of the baffles so I pushed them in. So when you look down the exhaust now it looks partially blocked off. I also wrapped the baffles with some muffler fiberglass and it is a lot quieter. Still loud but with more rumble than bark.

I did manage to get a good 2nd hand set of header pipes, shields and cat converter from the US. I am waiting on some VMOD Mufflers from Steve (VMOD) and will then stick that system onto the bike. I am looking forward to it because the VMOD system sounds great on youtube.

Cheers

Niko

1 - 15 of 15 Posts