Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my fat boy and I am new to the forum. I am going to buy a night rod special and I was looking for a 2008 so I could get the 1250cc, abs and slipper clutch but came across an amazing deal on a mint 2007. Other than the abs, am I missing much on the 1130cc to the 1250cc and the slipper clutch? All opinions would be great.

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I picked up a 06 Night Rod with 6400 miles on it in mint cond off ebay (with $3000 in extras) for $7500 2 months ago. Quite pleased with getting such a smoking deal for once in my life. Would the extra 120cc's and slipper clutch enhance the experience enough to make it worth the extra $5-6000? I doubt it but then again I've never been one that had to have the latest-greatest.... Good luck!

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I just sold my fat boy and I am new to the forum. I am going to buy a night rod special and I was looking for a 2008 so I could get the 1250cc, abs and slipper clutch but came across an amazing deal on a mint 2007. Other than the abs, am I missing much on the 1130cc to the 1250cc and the slipper clutch? All opinions would be great.

thanks
I wouldn't let CC's make the call. It's not enough of a difference to worry about.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
I dunno about "worry" per se'.

ABS does make a big difference, and the implementation on the Rod actually works quite well, almost as good as the BMW bikes.

The slipper clutch is cool, but the downside (at least that I've found) is if you happen to be in the wrong gear (ie: coming off a slow turn in 3rd) and forget to downshift, when you dump the clutch - you will stall the motor and lock the rear wheel. Happened to me the first night out and almost dumped the bike. Slipper takes a little getting used to, both on launching, and selecting the proper gear.

What it really comes down to (as far as the differences in the options between those years) is RIDING STYLE. If you're a "cruiser" and just like putting around - you'd likely not see the difference between the 2 model years, or at least they wouldn't be that apparent.

I bought my Rod (after coming off an Electra Glide) because I wanted sport bike styling and performance - but still wanted to stay on a Harley - none of the Jap/Metric Imports really gave me the "wood" that the Night Rod did. I ride aggressively (not OFFENSIVELY).

That being said, if you're a "mod-maniac" like so many Harley owners (and obviously from this forum, that applies especially to V Rod owners), you'll mod the bike out to get it where YOU want it. I've always bought NEW Harleys, because I consider a new bike to be a blank canvas that I can "paint my masterpiece" with. I've probably got around $10K in mods/upgrades on a new bike I bought in July (see mod list below), with about another $4k until I'm "done" (like we're ever DONE - HA!). You can add the slipper clutch and bore out the motor - the only thing that would be difficult to add would be the ABS.

If a couple of grand is going to keep you off the bike you REALLY WANT - you're better off waiting until you have the couple of grand to spend, versus regretting your decision later.

For ME PERSONALLY, the ABS & 1250 were options I REQUIRED. I could have gotten an '03 anniversary with next-to-no-miles, kept in my buddy's living room since day 1, for a steal - and opted to buy new for considerably more - to get those options, and the "blank canvas" to create my masterpiece with.

Best of luck whatever you decide...

Rick

·
Registered
290 Posts
That ABS sure is nice to have. Check around and read some of the downed rider threads and you'll see what I mean. Not sure if the '07 has the 5 gal fuel tank but something else to consider.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
That ABS sure is nice to have. Check around and read some of the downed rider threads and you'll see what I mean. Not sure if the '07 has the 5 gal fuel tank but something else to consider.
all Night Rod Specials have 5gal, Nights Rods do not.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
David is corrrect. If it has a 240, stock, it has a 5 gal tank. Some folks confuse the night rod and night rod special. My thoughts on new vs. used: I got an 06, in early 06, paid 12,999. I got a 09, in 10, for 8900, because it needed a little work. These things are so durable - buy used, spend the difference on the mods you want, and be happy! Just a thought. Joe

·
boo
5,211 Posts
i just switched from an 07 to an 08 - primarily because of the ABS. the slipper is nice to have, the O2 bungs on the exhaust for some applications as well.

otherwise, on the 1130 vs 1250 question - i agree - not really an issue, as long as you have a good fuel mapper and tune going to get it running strong.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
One advantage I see to the 2007 is that you get the older, narrower rear fender that looks a whole lot nicer than the fataZZ one on the '08 and newer models. I know, I have an '08.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
gotcha, but the post i'm responding to said that 07's came with a narrow fender, which isn't true, on the DX

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Yeah that was me, I was once again confusing Night Rod with NRS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys! That is what I expected to hear. The slipper clutch isn't a big issue but I do want ABS. I am up in Alberta, Canada and the price on a "new" used 08 with around 3-4K miles, with ABS is around $13,000 Canadian with stage 1 (basically the same as the US dollar now). There are numerous 07's for the same price and even more but you can find the odd one for around $10K. The night rod specials up in Canada retail around the $19,500 mark, which sucks even though our dollar is on par with the US.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
If you get the 07 you will be annoyed that you aren't keeping up with the other DX's..

And I bet you will swap out to a slipper..

And thats just where it starts....

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Bottom line, buy what makes sense to you... Either bike will bring the exact same result, a big ol smile on your face :)... Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting a V-Rod... It is the best motorcycle that the MOCO has ever come out with... The Revolution motor has not even come close to it's absolute potential... Thers is still lots to explore and build on this bike... You get the name HD, the legend that goes with it, and most of all, the ladies wanting a ride :)... Something bout Harley's that seem to appeal to the lil ladies, not sure what it is but it is a fact :)... No other motorcycle garners the attention or debate like a Harley... Keep those knees in the breeze and the rubber side down...

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
If you get the 07 you will be annoyed that you aren't keeping up with the other DX's..
5 HP? :rofl:

Bottom line: with the high tolerances allowed by Harley (factory) for HP, It's totally feasible a specific 1130 could have more or be equal to a specific 1250. Truth is, unless you dyno your scoot like the factory does (crank) none of us really know or knew what it really had stock. The high tolerance is (just) one of the reasons you see HP threads here with numbers all over the place.

Besides it seems the OP had his mind made up before he even posted. The $800 ABS seems to be the kicker for him.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All great comments and you are right. I do want the abs. There are quite a few NRS's for sale right now and since we are in the middle of winter it is a great time to buy and even better for a deal. So I am going to see how it goes for an 08 with ABS. I will let you know how I made out.

·
motorsickle1130
219 Posts
Special Ed

yeah I've never had any problems keeping neck and neck with all the "special" riders. :laugh:
ABS would definately be a deal killer but also not having a 5 gal. tank. :banghead: oops on my part.
Also seems like the specials have the same range as my standard night rod w/ a 3.4 gal tank. I know they are tuned a little differently because of the extra weight. Could be their riding style though as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts