Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have always wondered just how many VRSCRs were produced for 2006 and I think now I know. I just received my new issue of Cycle World magazine, and in the back of each issue is a little area for recalls. Well for this month they have listed the extra heat shield recall. They have the total number of affected bikes at 2403. Now I know this is something that was not changed halfway through the 2006 model year so that has to be an accurate #.

2403....... 2006 VRSCRs

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow I found total productions #s and nobody cares....I am surprised

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I wondered when someone would put that out there, I thought there would be more. Thank you

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
myneed4speed said:
it's for R's who cares?:stilpoke:
:moon: :lamer:

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
I love numbers. I also need them to be 100% correct. This is the best, probably closest production number we will see.
However I do have to burst your bubble. My production date is 5-06. They did install this heat shield on my bike at the factory. I am the original owner of this bike and have not received a recall notice.
My guess is that 2403 recall number is just that, the number of 2006's they recalled. Not the total production number. Sorry.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
TheeRod, the new heat shield was just designed this year (after complaints here), so I doubt yours was installed at the factory. Go to your closest dealership and have them run your VIN number. They will order the heat shield (this is an addition that goes underneath the existing shield) and install it.

JDR; geez have patience, 9 hours while people were asleep with no comment doesn't mean no one cares :D I think your number is probably very accurate. That should be every 2006 R in the US. I do not know if the recall effected exported bikes or not.

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
gtrman66 said:
TheeRod, the new heat shield was just designed this year (after complaints here), so I doubt yours was installed at the factory. Go to your closest dealership and have them run your VIN number. They will order the heat shield (this is an addition that goes underneath the existing shield) and install it.
This is the shield I'm talking about. Is there another one?

MVC-014F.JPG

MVC-013F.JPG

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheeRod said:
This is the shield I'm talking about. Is there another one?

View attachment 93032

View attachment 93033

Are you sure that wasn't put on during a service???? I was under the assumption that the recall was issued after the production of the 06 Rs was completed:deal:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Night Ryder said:
Does anybody know how many '07 VRSCR's were built?
Hell probably around 10 because I have never ever seen on in person either on a dealer's floor or the street...its a damn shame!!!

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
Are you sure that wasn't put on during a service???? I was under the assumption that the recall was issued after the production of the 06 Rs was completed:deal:
I've had the bike in exactly once and have a hard time believing Minnesota's worst service department would have slipped it in under my nose during my 1/2 hour clunk fix. They were far too busy giving me attitude and prying against my triple tree with a screw driver. :soapbox: Don't get me started.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My bike was built 8 of 05, I took it in for something else a few weeks ago and I was told it needed this recall done, I did not ever get a notice but it doesn't matter anyway I no longer have stock exhaust on it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you want to know (approximately) how many R's were produced in 2006, you need to know what is the highest number in the last eight digits of the VIN is for that year. These are the production sequence for the model. It appears that HD uses the first position of the production sequence as a constant, since it's an 8 in every R or VRSC VIN I've seen (VINs are included in eBay auctions for motorcycles.) My own number is 803856, it's an '06, built in May of 2005. It should be the 3856th R built for model year 2006.

The highest production sequence number I've seen was 810549 (on eBay) and the next highest one was 806725 (also on eBay). Considering that these are all built for domestic (USA) use and R's destined for foreign sale probably have different production sequence numbers, there were likely more than 10,549 2006 R's built. If someone has, or knows of a higher production sequence number, speak up -- to help solve this mystery.:)

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Interested? Yes, but more concerned with facts. My dealer installed the heat shield during a regular service. I don't know if the '07's had them from the factory, so the recall numbers might not be exact. I know it is a rare and beautiful motorcycle. I love mine! Joe

·
Frank
4,320 Posts
Just Plain Bill said:
If you want to know (approximately) how many R's were produced in 2006, you need to know what is the highest number in the last eight digits of the VIN is for that year. These are the production sequence for the model. It appears that HD uses the first position of the production sequence as a constant, since it's an 8 in every R or VRSC VIN I've seen (VINs are included in eBay auctions for motorcycles.) My own number is 803856, it's an '06, built in May of 2005. It should be the 3856th R built for model year 2006.

The highest production sequence number I've seen was 810549 (on eBay) and the next highest one was 806725 (also on eBay). Considering that these are all built for domestic (USA) use and R's destined for foreign sale probably have different production sequence numbers, there were likely more than 10,549 2006 R's built. If someone has, or knows of a higher production sequence number, speak up -- to help solve this mystery.:)
Your assumption about VIN number has been on this site before and it was also dismissed. It turns out the the sequence number is not by model, but the whole line, so it is a runnig total for the whole VRSC family for that production year.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
10, 549 bikes seemed really high

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
I just confirmed with H-D customer service (414-343-4056) that my bike is not included in this recall. Thereby confirming that the 2403 number is just for earlier 2006 bikes.

Of course when I tried to ask my local dealer about this heat shield recall, he said "Only on the Sportster" 3 times cutting me off from asking questions and I finally hung up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
TheeRod said:
I just confirmed with H-D customer service (414-343-4056) that my bike is not included in this recall. Thereby confirming that the 2403 number is just for earlier 2006 bikes.

Of course when I tried to ask my local dealer about this heat shield recall, he said "Only on the Sportster" 3 times cutting me off from asking questions and I finally hung up.
Man, sometimes I wish Harley would sell the VRSC line to a company that cares about the bike enough to pressure their dealers and service departments to care enough to know what the hell they are talking about! Damn it! :soapbox:

Ah, I feel better now. :D

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Those people at those stearlerships kill me :banghead: . They are clueless.

When I had my wreck, I gave them a list showing all the parts needing to be replaced. They called me to tell me they finished my estimate so I decided to leave the office and discuss face-to-face (cause I know they are clueless). Long story short, they missed the completely broken/missing clutch lever and the damaged lower triple clamp. Then, they still charged me $72 (a full hour). Even though I gave them my list, that still didn't help them.:banghead: :banghead:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts