Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stumbled onto a 2006 street rod with only 56 miles on it, still brand new. I bought it the other night. Well of course it was way too quiet so I drilled the normal 8 1/2" holes in each pipe (after I read every thread on the matter on this board). I love the sound, but now the bike is hesitating at about 3k rpm and not running as strong on the bottom end. I only have 150 miles on the bike. Is there a generic Tune I can have them do to get it to run better for right now or should i just get another set of stock pipes until i can do the full exhaust and tuner? I dont want to mess up my brand new bike. Any help is greatly appreciated. Everything I read stated that you dont have to do a tune with drilling the pipes, but Im thinking that was not correct now.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have an '06 R too. You shouldn't be having that problem with only drilling out the back of the mufflers, the restriction is in the second volume ( between the head pipes & mufflers. It is WAY lean from the factory. As a straight bolt on the PC is OK, but you need dyno time to get it right. I'd get a used Tmax for the same $. It is a little more work to weld in the bungs for the O2 sensors, but you will be far better off, tuning and $$ wise in the long run.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Congrats on your find:thumb: I'm hoping you drained the oil and replaced with new? Even at only 56 miles, it's been sitting in the crankcase for 4 years and should be changed out...and the filter. I would start with the oil and fuel before moving on the more complicated crap.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep changed the oil and filter already. i appreciate the help. Ive also considered it being old fuel as well. I put a little bit of fuel injector cleaner in it...not much and just put 2.2 gal of fuel in it. I have yet to run a tank through it. Im hoping it will straighten up. I appreciate the help so far.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
My 06R was really lean as shipped from the factory. It would stall sometimes when coming to a stop and surged real bad at 55 mph in 5th gear. You could have pushed it over the edge by drilling the mufflers. I don't think it will heal itself without some sort of tuner that will let you adjust the Air/Fuel Ratio, or you can go back to stock pipes. I don't think you will have much luck with the dealer fixing it. I think some bikes run a little leaner than others out of the crate, so some will probably run o.k. with drilled pipes and some won't.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I bought some drilled mufflers out of the classifieds a few years back. I didn't like the way they sounded so I had some aluminum endcaps made to cover up the holes. I sealed them to the end of the mufflers with rtv and held them in place with 3 oval head sheet metal screws.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i rode it home today from work and it seems fine now. I was able to lug it in 5th and no missing or surges at all now. i am wondering if it was a coincidence and was just some old gas that was still in it. Anyways....i had a buddy cut some pieces to make end caps to cover the holes. Im going to put them on tonight and run the bike back to stock until I can do it the correct way. I really appreciate all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts