Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2006 vrscd with a ecm that requires no secuity system, my question is the tsm that marries to the ecm is number 68920-01c or 68920-01d requires no security system up to a 2006 model. will a tsm
68920-07 that requires no secuity system from a 2007 vrsca work. the tsm only funtion is to control the turn signals and to tell the ecm that the bike has not fallen over. that should be the same funtion for both years. but the HD number has changed. Thank you, Willard.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2006 vrscd with a ecm that requires no secuity system, my question is the tsm that marries to the ecm is number 68920-01c or 68920-01d requires no security system up to a 2006 model. will a tsm
68920-07 that requires no secuity system from a 2007 vrsca work. the tsm only funtion is to control the turn signals and to tell the ecm that the bike has not fallen over. that should be the same funtion for both years. but the HD number has changed. Thank you, Willard.
[/QUOTE
Buy the correct part used off E-bay. Or buy a TSSM and a fob and have an alarm system after you marry it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi summerjim, the bike has a security system on it I am trying to do away with it. So I bought a ecm that is not a security system now I want to buy a tsm that is not a security type tsm to do away with security. I can’t find a good used 68920-01c or d they all have a lot of miles. I can find a nos 68920-07 if a 2007 will fit a 2006.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Pretty sure the ECM is no different. Whether the vehicle has security or not just depends on if it has a TSM or a TSSM. The 07 onwards are the ones that have the antenna for the RFID type fob. The non security version of this (TSM) is part no 68921-07 and is no longer available from HD.
The software in the 07 on modules is different to the early ones an will require the fitting of a clutch switch on the lever to use it. You wil also need to be careful with which type you use as the orientation changed on later models so if you mount it in the same place the turn signal cancelling will work front to back as opposed to side to side which will cause problems under acceleration and braking.
Not sure why you are wanting to do all this work when on the US bikes you can just cancel the auto arm feature and just not use the security function. Then the bike just behaves the same as one with a TSM.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi summerjim, the bike has a security system on it I am trying to do away with it. So I bought a ecm that is not a security system now I want to buy a tsm that is not a security type tsm to do away with security. I can’t find a good used 68920-01c or d they all have a lot of miles. I can find a nos 68920-07 if a 2007 will fit a 2006.
I hope you have a service manual. You may want to consider it looks like this table 3-23 says if you go from a TSSM to a TSM or change ECM Password learning is needed. Table 3-25. Setting TSM/TSSM and ECM Password Without Scanalyzer is 13 steps in the service manual.

Table 3-23. Password Learning Needed?
PART REPLACED
PASSWORD LEARNING
NEEDED
TSM (no security) No
TSSM (security) Yes
Instrument module No
ECM Yes
If a TSM has been replaced by a TSSM, or a TSSM has
been replaced by a TSM, password learn is necessary

I'm still scratching my head as to why you want to remove the alarm? I use my alarm (key fob) instead of the key. It is kind of a pain in the butt that Vehicles will enter storage mode whether the security system is armed or disarmed except if the TSSM is set to infinite.

So verify or set the storage mode to infinite and don't arm the alarm and plug it into a battery tender.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure the ECM is no different. Whether the vehicle has security or not just depends on if it has a TSM or a TSSM. The 07 onwards are the ones that have the antenna for the RFID type fob. The non security version of this (TSM) is part no 68921-07 and is no longer available from HD.
The software in the 07 on modules is different to the early ones an will require the fitting of a clutch switch on the lever to use it. You wil also need to be careful with which type you use as the orientation changed on later models so if you mount it in the same place the turn signal cancelling will work front to back as opposed to side to side which will cause problems under acceleration and braking.
Not sure why you are wanting to do all this work when on the US bikes you can just cancel the auto arm feature and just not use the security function. Then the bike just behaves the same as one with a TSM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the great info, The reason I am doing this is I purchased a 2006 ecm that is the same vrscd as mine with only 2,500 miles on it and it did not have a secuity on the bike it was a tsm ecm. but he sold the tsm to some one else so i am looking for a tsm to use with the ecm i bought. I can find the same tsm 68920-01d but are hard to find. I can find the 2007 up 68901-07 and just hoped that later type would work. I am afraid to get stranded with a secuity system I am 80 years old and it is hard to remember how to use the blinkers if i have a problem. Thank you for all your info.I appreciate it cery much. Willard

·
Registered
668 Posts
I am 80 years old and it is hard to remember how to use the blinkers if i have a problem.
I'm not 80 years old, and probably won't make it there. I have a picture of the procedures used to disable security saved on my cell phone in a special folder. Or carry one of the laminated cards from the back of the owner's manual. Just a thought 🤪

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not 80 years old, and probably won't make it there. I have a picture of the procedures used to disable security saved on my cell phone in a special folder. Or carry one of the laminated cards from the back of the owner's manual. Just a thought 🤪
Thank you for the advice, I thought the same thing about not making it to 80, but I hope you make 80 and then some. Nice bike you have, hope you and all others have a good holiday. Thanks Willard

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Thank you for the great info, The reason I am doing this is I purchased a 2006 ecm that is the same vrscd as mine with only 2,500 miles on it and it did not have a secuity on the bike it was a tsm ecm. but he sold the tsm to some one else so i am looking for a tsm to use with the ecm i bought. I can find the same tsm 68920-01d but are hard to find. I can find the 2007 up 68901-07 and just hoped that later type would work. I am afraid to get stranded with a secuity system I am 80 years old and it is hard to remember how to use the blinkers if i have a problem. Thank you for all your info.I appreciate it cery much. Willard
I still think you are confused. I am sure there is no difference in the ECM, in fact I would go as far as to say there is no difference. It is all controlled by the TSM / TSSM
If either the the ECM or the TSM / TSSM are changed then the learning process as described above is necessary as they marry together as a pair to function. I still don't understand why you want to do this, I presume as you are from the US then your bike is a US spec bike. That being the case if you simply disable the auto-arm function the bike will behave exactly as a non security model. You will never be bothered by the security or alarm ever again. If it was a Euro model then you do not have this option and would need to change the TSSM for an American TSM which creates a whole load of other issues.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Here you go, try it for yourself. You will save yourself a lot of headaches and unnecessary expense.
Font Parallel Number Document Rectangle

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Thank you for the information I will try that and let you know how it turned out. Have a good holiday
The beauty of doing it this way is the bike behaves just like it has no security (just use the normal key) but should you find yourself in a risky place you have the option to use the security by just pressing the key fob once to arm and then 2 rapid presses to disarm. Once disarmed the bike returns to its no security mode.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The beauty of doing it this way is the bike behaves just like it has no security (just use the normal key) but should you find yourself in a risky place you have the option to use the security by just pressing the key fob once to arm and then 2 rapid presses to disarm. Once disarmed the bike returns to its no security mode.
Sounds good to me I did not know you can do that thank you so much. That’s what I like about this forum good people. Full of information.

·
Registered
110 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts