Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I picked up a 2006 Street rod that was abandoned (lien sale) as a project. Got it home and started cleaning it up. Tried to start it and just clicked. Got new battery clicked again. Pulled plugs and raised bike on jack and tried to turn rear tire in high gear and no joy. Got a socket and turned engine by hand and no movement. Put MMO and PB in the heads and let soak,got it to free up a lil bit. Worked it back and forth and was able to get 2 full counter clock wise revolutions. Then locked up but not fully. It will turn left about 1/4 turn and stop then right about 1/4 and stop. You can hear it hit something. Maybe heads. Just curious if you have any ideas. I will be pulling the motor shortly to pull the heads soon.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Hi I picked up a 2006 Street rod that was abandoned (lien sale) as a project. Got it home and started cleaning it up. Tried to start it and just clicked. Got new battery clicked again. Pulled plugs and raised bike on jack and tried to turn rear tire in high gear and no joy. Got a socket and turned engine by hand and no movement. Put MMO and PB in the heads and let soak,got it to free up a lil bit. Worked it back and forth and was able to get 2 full counter clock wise revolutions. Then locked up but not fully. It will turn left about 1/4 turn and stop then right about 1/4 and stop. You can hear it hit something. Maybe heads. Just curious if you have any ideas. I will be pulling the motor shortly to pull the heads soon.
Valve(s) might be stuck open and piston hitting them. Likely bent by now so first thing I'd do is pull the heads as you planned on.
Ron

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
it would depend on if the rotation pushed the piston into the cylinder wall and damaged it. You need to remove the engine and then the heads and investigate
rebuild gives many options like oversized pistons or higher conpression and such along the way. used second hand motor may have issues also that you dont know of.
me. I would rebuild and get a few more cc's maybe add cams and even a one quarter crank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it would depend on if the rotation pushed the piston into the cylinder wall and damaged it. You need to remove the engine and then the heads and investigate
rebuild gives many options like oversized pistons or higher conpression and such aloung the way. used second hand motor may have issues also that you dont know of.
me. I would rebuild and get a few more cc's maybe add cams and even a one quarter crank
All right thanks. I will keep you posted after I tear into. I will definitely need some advice on the best place to get parts one I find out what I need.

·
The Hawk
3,772 Posts
You never want to turn the V Rod motor counter clockwise, it can let the timing chains jump off the sprockets and will mess up the valve timing allowing the valve to make contact with the piston. You should probably pull the motor, remove the heads and see what the issue is.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
You never want to turn the V Rod motor counter clockwise, it can let the timing chains jump off the sprockets and will mess up the valve timing allowing the valve to make contact with the piston. You should probably pull the motor, remove the heads and see what the issue is.
I think you meant Clock Wise.
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts