Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at possibly purchasing a 2006 street rod. Problem I have is the poorly position rear brake peg/lever. I have to turn my foot in at a bad angle to get my foot squarely on the brake. I have a bad ankle and turning it in that far is painful and a deal breaker on buying the bike in stock form.

Has anyone successfully converted or extended the break peg and level on the street rod? If so, how difficult was it and approximate cost.

Also, another question. Has anyone converted a street rod to foward controls? It might be possible to you replace the lower front sections of the frame and modify the radiator fairing. Not sure if the lower front frame struts are the same dimensions as the vrod with the mounts for forward controls.

Any suggestions would be great. The bike only has 1500 miles on it and is in perfect condition at a reasonable price.

Thanks,
Biff

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Any competent machine shop should be able to weld on a relocated extension for something in the $50 range. However, keep in mind that you'll mainly be using the front brakes anyway. I only use the rear on gravel or to begin deceleration after a 1/4 mile pass ...

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Yes, it is possible to go to forward controls on the R model. The frame rails for all pre-'07 models are the same dimensions. (I don't know if this is the case for later model bikes.)

It would be much cheaper to modify the existing brake lever.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Do a search in the R forum for the rear brake lever mod and you will see a cheap way to lower the front pad almost an inch. Makes a big difference. Worth a try first. Yes there are others that have moved the controls to the front.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am looking at possibly purchasing a 2006 street rod. Problem I have is the poorly position rear brake peg/lever. I have to turn my foot in at a bad angle to get my foot squarely on the brake. I have a bad ankle and turning it in that far is painful and a deal breaker on buying the bike in stock form.

Has anyone successfully converted or extended the break peg and level on the street rod? If so, how difficult was it and approximate cost.

Also, another question. Has anyone converted a street rod to foward controls? It might be possible to you replace the lower front sections of the frame and modify the radiator fairing. Not sure if the lower front frame struts are the same dimensions as the vrod with the mounts for forward controls.

Any suggestions would be great. The bike only has 1500 miles on it and is in perfect condition at a reasonable price.

Thanks,
Biff
Sounds like the suggestions from the members will be rather expensive. Also, I believe that once you have changed to forward controls, the already infamously uncorfortable R seat will be downright painful because of the changed riding position putting more preasure on your tailbone and it will have to be replaced or extensively customized. Bear in mind that no other stock V-rod seat will fit on the R!

I know you are getting a good price on a low milelage bike bike but maybe with the alterations you are looking at doing, purchasing a regular V-rod would make more sense. I love my R and the main reason I purchased it was because of the location of the foot pegs and the "sportbike" handling characteristics its stock configuation allows. Changing to forward controls makes it just another V-rod with too-low handlebars and too-high ride height.
Just my opinion though!:soapbox:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts