Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and new to Harley. Just sold my R1 sport bike to settle down a bit, but had to stick with some power and flare and have always thought the Vrod was pretty slick.

I tried to take my girlfriend for her first ride the other day and 100 yards into ride could smell burning rubber from the rear fender rubbing the rear tire, so had to end the ride (see Tire pic attached). I've done some research and need help because I'm not sure how to raise the rear end to support a second rider.

The rear shocks were set on the biggest indent so I spun it to the smallest indent, which appears to have compressed the spring rather than lifting the bike up (see spring pic of final setting). I just bought a jacket, a helmet and wifi intercom for her so we could go riding together and I'm confused as to what I need to do here.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
The adjustment is not for ride height, it is for preload.
Per the manual for a 2015, max preload is setting 5 and make sure both shocks are on the same setting. Turn the collar clockwise for higher preload, counterclockwise for lower preload.

I ride on setting 4 both solo and 2-up (~210lb rider/~160lb passenger)

·
VRSC est -03
2,491 Posts
OP/mslatter:
Your bike vrscd came stock running rear a 180 tire. It looks like your bike is currently
running a 240? You have to check out the seatpan/fender support clear your tire...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The adjustment is not for ride height, it is for preload.
Per the manual for a 2015, max preload is setting 5 and make sure both shocks are on the same setting. Turn the collar clockwise for higher preload, counterclockwise for lower preload.

I ride on setting 4 both solo and 2-up (~210lb rider/~160lb passenger)
OP/mslatter:
Your bike vrscd came stock running rear a 180 tire. It looks like your bike is currently
running a 240? You have to check out the seatpan/fender support clear your tire...
Thanks guys,

Pr0jekt I think I had the max settings initially which weren't working. I spun them counter clockwise to the other extreme and still rubbing (which would make sense based on your advice).

Knut J, I believe you're correct on the Tire size because the original owner did say he put on a bigger Tire... But he put the rear foot pegs on for me because I told him I was buying the bike so my gf and I could ride together... He never told me it wouldn't support us both. What are you suggesting, that I cut the rear fender (or put a flat fender on) so the sides of the fender don't run with a second rider? Any recommendations on the fender replacement?

Cheers!

·
VRSC est -03
2,491 Posts
Your stock 180 seat pan/fender support should clear a 240 tire with a help of
a hacksaw/grinder. Remove the outer fender (bolts located under the rear seat) to access
to the seat pan.
Do a search here on forum, 240 tire / 180 V-rod. Info to be found.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Knut J, truly appreciate the direction! I had been searching for the wrong terminology all along. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts