Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
A 240 will also affect the handling in a negative way.

Reactions: DomsVRSCR2005

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A 240 will also affect the handling in a negative way.
Yeah maybe too much. I’ll try a 200 first and if I can get the rear fender and seat replaced small style then that will probably satisfy me without going all bat bike!

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Pillion seat looks oversize but I think it's just the grab strap is over the main seat - needs to be angled back on the pax pillion - I was going to try the 200 on my R but none in stock when I needed a rear tire so I bought a Cruisetec 180 high crown profile, dual compound and that's a great tire for the R - bike steers fantastic, harder rubber in the middle wear area of the tire and softer on the shoulders for cornering - it's light as well. 240's & up are heavy and absorb a lot of Hp - a high price for looks. Form over Function. I think with the careful selection of a 200 you'd be satisfied with the look and the steering, just don't buy a flatter cross section tire that will ruin the handling advantage of an R - what length are those shocks ? If not 15.75" eye to eye someone's lowered the rear and that'll make it steer slower as well. Good Luck with your R experience & welcome to the Club !!

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Took the bike out for ride today. The 200 rear 8m very happy with. No wheel spin under heavy load. And cornering at any speed seems to be great. But as the first run on the vrod since I bought it and reassembled it I wasn't really putting it to and limits. But I think for my riding style the shinko verge 1.1 200/50 r18 is a very good tire on dry roads.
No flat spot or out of balance feel like a very few people talked about. But I had dyna beads installed to true up the balance. I will definitely consider using shinko again and keep the 200 on the rear

·
Registered
802 Posts
JJrod - most of the the 2006's were made in 2005, like mine, 5/2005 - 2007's I imagine were mostly built in 2006. The frame as far as I know is not actually taller, the steering head is just angled back a couple degrees and the longer USD forks and longer shocks pick the bike up so pegs and exhaust doesn't scrape when you're carving corners. It is a bit wider under the seat though for the first 5 gallon fuel tank in the V Rod fleet - Yes, for once H-D was a decade ahead of the pack ! They didn't realize it and cut production due to slow sales, which was short sighted but understandable, and now finds it difficult to provide parts. It is what it is - I got more parts than my M/C riding life remaining will probably require and there's lots of used parts out there so hey let's have an R reunion party ! Ride 'em don't hide 'em !! (y) :cool:
The Frame was taller for the R model. That's why it's fuel tank fits nothing else and no other fuel tank fits the R. The R fuel tank is taller. The frame is taller. Try putting the shocks from a R on a A or B model. Doesn"t work to well. The "W" frames are longer and wider to fit the 5 gallon fuel tank.

Reactions: Jibby

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Pillion seat looks oversize but I think it's just the grab strap is over the main seat - needs to be angled back on the pax pillion - I was going to try the 200 on my R but none in stock when I needed a rear tire so I bought a Cruisetec 180 high crown profile, dual compound and that's a great tire for the R - bike steers fantastic, harder rubber in the middle wear area of the tire and softer on the shoulders for cornering - it's light as well. 240's & up are heavy and absorb a lot of Hp - a high price for looks. Form over Function. I think with the careful selection of a 200 you'd be satisfied with the look and the steering, just don't buy a flatter cross section tire that will ruin the handling advantage of an R - what length are those shocks ? If not 15.75" eye to eye someone's lowered the rear and that'll make it steer slower as well. Good Luck with your R experience & welcome to the Club !!
Yeah good advice I’ll aim for a decent 200 with soft round sides! Not sure re the shock length, I’ll measure them when I get back to where my bike is.
yes the pillion seat way too big and anyway I’m not planning on carrying passengers! Thanks again and thanks for the welcome 😊

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
The Frame was taller for the R model. That's why it's fuel tank fits nothing else and no other fuel tank fits the R. The R fuel tank is taller. The frame is taller. Try putting the shocks from a R on a A or B model. Doesn"t work to well. The "W" frames are longer and wider to fit the 5 gallon fuel tank.
JJrod -I never thought the frame was any taller on the R Model as I figured it was just the longer shocks & USD forks at less of a rake pushing the bike up - if anything it would not be the hydroformed frame around the cylinders that seems to be the same as any other V Rod so it would be the sub frame ( or shock & seat support tubing ) around the fuel tank - if it was angled up and expanded for the 5 gallon tank that would be where the taller ( and wider ) frame would come in, as compared to the earlier narrow frame 3.7 gal models. It's hard to believe a D model with mid controls has a closer footpeg to seat measurement than an R model, the R is bad enough - but it would have to if the R frame is actually taller. You got me thinking on this one - :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
There ya JJrod go that's it - obvious yea it's just the subframe that's higher for the tail section & seat the triangle tells it all - wow I always thought I wanted a D Model after an R for the mid controls and fwd hwy pegs but the distance from the pegs to the seat would have to be even less than the R with even less leg room so no thanks unless it's got a thicker seat installed - Thanks !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Remember two things DomsVRSCR2005 - one lowering brackets using the shorter shocks you may have now on the bike will most likely cause the swingarm to hit the fuel tank when fully bottomed out - you could work around that with more bottoming bumpers on the shocks but you'll lose rear suspension travel and that will also make it steer slower, unless you lower the front a like amount then if you like twisties you'll lose the ground clearance the R is known for and start scraping things - and two get the rear fender too short you'll have a wet & dirty back on a wet road - never fun. I agree maybe you can strike a compromise between those two for long term happiness - 👍😎

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah thanks I thought I’d experiment first as lowering brackets are so cheap on the existing shocks and just see what happens. I think they only lower it by an inch anyway tbh. I do like twistys but as I know I’m now not riding my fire blade anymore I’d kind of given up on trying to bend myself around corners etc anyway!
you’re also right about the dirty back especially in the uk! 🤣

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
If you lower the already shorter shocks another inch you'll have the top of the swingarm hitting the top of the slot in the fuel tank and that will be seriously not good. You don't want to experiment and just see what happens crack that fuel tank open and things will get expensive fast and that isn't even considering fuel coming out on that hot exhaust pipe. My stock 15.75" shocks have less than 3/8 clearance to the fuel tank when bottomed. The shocks you have now will probably let the swingarm hit the tank. 1" lower, and yea it will hit hard for sure - won't be a problem until that one time you hit a pothole or a big G Out dip in the road or have a bar find ride home with you - then it'll hit. Just a heads up H-D used every available tiny amount of room to get 5 gallons of gas in that bike so there's not a lot of working room to lower the rear suspension, or mount early V Rod swingarm foot pegs on there which I did - it took me 6 hours of careful grinding the footpeg mounts to clear the fuel tank - and they just barely clear now. Check yours out when you can, on a M/C jack remove both shocks and jack the back wheel up until the distance of the shock length minus the shaft travel exists between the frame shock mounts eye to eye on the bike - if it hits the tank it won't make the measurement and you'll know how far you can go with it. IMHO you're probably there, now hitting if those shocks are shorter than 15.75 ".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
If you lower the already shorter shocks another inch you'll have the top of the swingarm hitting the top of the slot in the fuel tank and that will be seriously not good. You don't want to experiment and just see what happens crack that fuel tank open and things will get expensive fast and that isn't even considering fuel coming out on that hot exhaust pipe. My stock 15.75" shocks have less than 3/8 clearance to the fuel tank when bottomed. The shocks you have now will probably let the swingarm hit the tank. 1" lower, and yea it will hit hard for sure - won't be a problem until that one time you hit a pothole or a big G Out dip in the road or have a bar find ride home with you - then it'll hit. Just a heads up H-D used every available tiny amount of room to get 5 gallons of gas in that bike so there's not a lot of working room to lower the rear suspension, or mount early V Rod swingarm foot pegs on there which I did - it took me 6 hours of careful grinding the footpeg mounts to clear the fuel tank - and they just barely clear now. Check yours out when you can, on a M/C jack remove both shocks and jack the back wheel up until the distance of the shock length minus the shaft travel exists between the frame shock mounts eye to eye on the bike - if it hits the tank it won't make the measurement and you'll know how far you can go with it. IMHO you're probably there, now hitting if those shocks are shorter than 15.75 ".
Yeah I see now and all noted thanks - ok I’ll measure the shocks for a start and see how much travel they’re currently getting and probably think twice if it looks anywhere near too close. I’m quite new to modding so appreciate your obsv thanks a lot. I’m more interested in the single seat mod and smaller fender tbh. I’m not in a rush to do any of it anyway and want to get to know the bike more for now which will probably inform me a lot more before I try anything. 👍🏾

21 - 40 of 48 Posts