Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else think that the 2005 Streetrod VRSCR is not worth converting ? I recently messaged Fredy.ee custom bikes in Estonia as really liked his work and asked a simple question about what he’d recommend for a single seat conversion initially and I’d be happy to buy such a seat/parts from him if so or if he had any advice. All I got back was this “Sell the R and get an A/B...” etc. Just that!
Then when I said I wasn’t going to do that as I’d only just got it he said “well it’s not the right bike for you...” I guess he’s an expert so I imagine he’s trying to suggest that those models might be easier to convert but he seems to have said so by way of dismissing my bike which I’ve been pretty excited by. Terrible!
Does anyone know of any UK parts suppliers/customisers they’d recommend for my model of bike? Preferably Someone who knows something about remembering that people like their bikes and are excited about them and remembers how to speak to people that is!

·
Registered
803 Posts
One of your problems is that there was no VRSCR in 2005
2 years only 2006 and 2007.
So I would say no way also.
The VRSCR also had it's own taller frame that no other model shared. Very limited market. The VRSCR was unpopular when conceived and really only gained popularity the last few years. Well over a decade after termination.

Reactions: DomsVRSCR2005

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
JJrod - most of the the 2006's were made in 2005, like mine, 5/2005 - 2007's I imagine were mostly built in 2006. The frame as far as I know is not actually taller, the steering head is just angled back a couple degrees and the longer USD forks and longer shocks pick the bike up so pegs and exhaust doesn't scrape when you're carving corners. It is a bit wider under the seat though for the first 5 gallon fuel tank in the V Rod fleet - Yes, for once H-D was a decade ahead of the pack ! They didn't realize it and cut production due to slow sales, which was short sighted but understandable, and now finds it difficult to provide parts. It is what it is - I got more parts than my M/C riding life remaining will probably require and there's lots of used parts out there so hey let's have an R reunion party ! Ride 'em don't hide 'em !! (y) :cool:

·
Registered
803 Posts
The 10th digit of vin indicated model year. All models were built halfway through the year before the actual year. No 2005 model year VRSCR's period. Hence new models for next year released in August. The auto industry is the same way
My 2006 has a production date of OCT 2005. Does that make it a 2005? No

Reactions: streetrodracer

·
VRSC est -03
2,858 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The 10th digit of vin indicated model year. All models were built halfway through the year before the actual year. No 2005 model year VRSCR's period. Hence new models for next year released in August. The auto industry is the same way
My 2006 has a production date of OCT 2005. Does that make it a 2005? No
I don't think HD follow that method all the time. I have an 03 according to HDSIP and is supported by the fact that it has the 2003 anniversary wings on the engine, and it says 02 on the frame which follows your explanation but the confusing part is that it was registered in 02 so as far as anybody is concerned it is an 02 not an 03. Can only be quoted as an 03 model but it is still an 02

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Anyone else think that the 2005 Streetrod VRSCR is not worth converting ? I recently messaged Fredy.ee custom bikes in Estonia as really liked his work and asked a simple question about what he’d recommend for a single seat conversion initially and I’d be happy to buy such a seat/parts from him if so or if he had any advice. All I got back was this “Sell the R and get an A/B...” etc. Just that!
Then when I said I wasn’t going to do that as I’d only just got it he said “well it’s not the right bike for you...” I guess he’s an expert so I imagine he’s trying to suggest that those models might be easier to convert but he seems to have said so by way of dismissing my bike which I’ve been pretty excited by. Terrible!
Does anyone know of any UK parts suppliers/customisers they’d recommend for my model of bike? Preferably Someone who knows something about remembering that people like their bikes and are excited about them and remembers how to speak to people that is!
To be fair Fredy is right, the R is the wrong model to customise. The R was built for a specific purpose and should really be left like that, I don't think he was trying to be rude, but he is a V Rod enthusiast so recognises this fact. If you had customising in mind then you really did buy the wrong bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of your problems is that there was no VRSCR in 2005
2 years only 2006 and 2007.
So I would say no way also.
The VRSCR also had it's own taller frame that no other model shared. Very limited market. The VRSCR was unpopular when conceived and really only gained popularity the last few years. Well over a decade after termination.
Thanks for the response man, all helpful. I’m new to Rods but so far at least love the bike I bought and will probably just keep it ongoing. Do you mean that you think the R was unpopular in that specific model or do you mean the v Rod generally? I understand the purist HD owners didn’t like the bike in general.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be fair Fredy is right, the R is the wrong model to customise. The R was built for a specific purpose and should really be left like that, I don't think he was trying to be rude, but he is a V Rod enthusiast so recognises this fact. If you had customising in mind then you really did buy the wrong bike.
Yeah I’m sure he has great insight but I guess I found it a bit dismissive as I’ve been really excited about the bike as I’ve come from riding Jap sport bikes and MX bikes mostly although I’ve ridden Saxon Crown/Dynaglide/V Rod (a little) and Heritages etc as friends/family have lent me them.
It would have been helpful for him to have expanded a bit at least like you guys in here are.
Thanks for the info - appreciated either way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to 1130cc.
Here:

And

View attachment 607072
Thanks for this - this bike looks cool. I’ll look into the products too. I don’t want to go all space age like some of the Night Rods to be fair, I just wanted to widen the tyre to a 240, go single seat and tyre hugging small fender but still keep existing paintwork and match rear fender to that really so it doesn’t completely change the bike. Thanks again for the info and pic!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JJrod - most of the the 2006's were made in 2005, like mine, 5/2005 - 2007's I imagine were mostly built in 2006. The frame as far as I know is not actually taller, the steering head is just angled back a couple degrees and the longer USD forks and longer shocks pick the bike up so pegs and exhaust doesn't scrape when you're carving corners. It is a bit wider under the seat though for the first 5 gallon fuel tank in the V Rod fleet - Yes, for once H-D was a decade ahead of the pack ! They didn't realize it and cut production due to slow sales, which was short sighted but understandable, and now finds it difficult to provide parts. It is what it is - I got more parts than my M/C riding life remaining will probably require and there's lots of used parts out there so hey let's have an R reunion party ! Ride 'em don't hide 'em !! (y) :cool:
Thanks for the responses man, and I’d heard similar re the height etc too re ride ability which I’m always for so I was only looking to go a bit fatter at the back too because of that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I completely recognise his knowledge but just found it a negative response for a first timer like me, which I won’t bleat on about as it’s not my nature.
I’ll find a way to tweak the bike to how I want it.
Thanks for your response buddy.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
JJrod - yea that's what I was trying to say but I didn't complete the thought - he probably saw the production date and thought that was the model year. Yes, all manufactures do that - 👍
As far as the R being the wrong bike to customize DomsVRSCR2005 ( 2006) I think Fredy was referring to doing a big fat tire custom conversion fwd. control bike like he specializes in. If you want to put a fat tire on the R and do a single seat conversion I for one can't think of a better bike to do it to ! The mid controls and better steering & suspension would be much better suited to the tight roads where you live, and look like a real streetfighter compared to fwd. controls that put the rider in the clam position ( when's the last time you saw a real race bike with fwd. controls ? - I rest my case. ) Plus you don't have to worry about your legs getting blown up off the cruiser style fwd. foot pegs at high speed, which I would think a fast bike is intended to do, doesn't happen on an R. Build your R bike the way you want it, put a set of small fwd. hwy pegs on it to stretch out when highway cruising and you got the right bike. Lots of parts interchange between fwd and mid control bikes read and search here for tips on fat tire rear mods - everything fits it's not a mystery, just research and sourcing parts will take some time but you'll be happy in the end you started out with an R. Good Luck !! 👍:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JJrod - yea that's what I was trying to say but I didn't complete the thought - he probably saw the production date and thought that was the model year. Yes, all manufactures do that - 👍
As far as the R being the wrong bike to customize DomsVRSCR2005 ( 2006) I think Fredy was referring to doing a big fat tire custom conversion fwd. control bike like he specializes in. If you want to put a fat tire on the R and do a single seat conversion I for one can't think of a better bike to do it to ! The mid controls and better steering & suspension would be much better suited to the tight roads where you live, and look like a real streetfighter compared to fwd. controls that put the rider in the clam position ( when's the last time you saw a real race bike with fwd. controls ? - I rest my case. ) Plus you don't have to worry about your legs getting blown up off the cruiser style fwd. foot pegs at high speed, which I would think a fast bike is intended to do, doesn't happen on an R. Build your R bike the way you want it, put a set of small fwd. hwy pegs on it to stretch out when highway cruising and you got the right bike. Lots of parts interchange between fwd and mid control bikes read and search here for tips on fat tire rear mods - everything fits it's not a mystery, just research and sourcing parts will take some time but you'll be happy in the end you started out with an R. Good Luck !! 👍:cool:
Thanks JJrod, yeah good points I think, as far as I knew all HDs are up for being customised anyway and as long as I can get parts I still think it’ll look good/ride well. I do actually have mid controls plus forward rest pegs anyway so have the best of both worlds! I want to go fat at the back but not unrideable so poss a 240 at the very most. I do like to really ride a bike so don’t want just a showpiece, all bikes appreciated though! Thanks bud

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
200 rear tire fits right on stock wheel - try that first get a tall crown tire like a Shinko or the V Max 200 I think its a Bridgestone and the bike will still steer like a R Model should a 240 kit will cost a lot 8" wheel, 240 tire, narrow belt and pulleys axle spacers etc. You might be very happy with a 200 and leave it at that - 👍😎 Great looking Bike !!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So this is the bike. I’ve already taken off the sissy bar, and now also put a smaller plate on it. I just wanna see more tyre n less seat!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
200 rear tire fits right on stock wheel - try that first get a tall crown tire like a Shinko or the V Max 200 I think its a Bridgestone and the bike will still steer like a R Model should a 240 kit will cost a lot 8" wheel, 240 tire, narrow belt and pulleys axle spacers etc. You might be very happy with a 200 and leave it at that - 👍😎 Great looking Bike !!
Thanks man, yeah i thought it was quite pretty myself and yes may initially go 200 first and single seat rather than start spending too much moullah. Thanks for the info. Happy Easter all 🥚

1 - 20 of 48 Posts