Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently began hearing a deep drone noise (like a school bus stopping) only a lot quieter coming for rear brake as the bike is about to stop. I have been able to manipulate the noise (make it come and go) by working the rear brake pedal. Heavy brake pressure will make it go away. It only comes on when light rear brake pressure is applied, let off it goes away, push harder it goes away. Plenty of brake pad. Also checked the drive belt tension. It is spot on according to the HD Dealer. They could not re-create the noise. But they wanted me to leave it. Any ideas? Someone said rear brake may be glazed if I ride the brake. I don't. I asked if it was the wheel bearing. They said there would be a grinding noise. Should I just get the rear brake done. ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Needs rear brake?

I spoke to another HD dealership today and they told me that it could be the brake pad needs some brake quiet type grease or ?? It goes on the brake pad on the inside (toward caliper). When I use light brake pressure the pad touches the rotor and vibrates slightly. More brake pressure clamps it down (no noise) less brake pressure takes the rotor from hitting the pad (no noise). They said they can take the pad off and apply the grease? and then put it back together or they can just go ahead and do the rear brake pads. Now understand that this is all just speculation on there part right now. But it actually made sense to me. So new rear brake pads. Anybody else got any other theory?

·
Dare to Dream
497 Posts
I went thru something like this, but it was more of a long squeal upon stopping, either my rear wheel bearings, or my pulley bearing was bad, I changed them all as I couldnt tell just by spinning them which one was bad. It was like a $60 repair thanks to ebay bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.