Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
If anyone has any idea on fuel gauge calibration or any ideas why my 2005 VRSC fuel gauge reads lineal from full fuel to empty with low fuel light coming on when I have only used 1/3 of a tank.
It’s consistent, full fuel then drops evenly to empty when only using 1/3 of tank?
Is there a way to calibrate this 2016 gauge to what I believe is a 2005 fuel sender?
Or is it the sender or incompatibility?
Any opinions would be more than greatful ?
Many thanks in advance

·
Registered Useless
590 Posts
You are probably aware that early V-rod fuel sensor is a slide wire (resistance) whereas the later model used ultrasonic, which for several years didn't work until MOCO finally got around to fixing it. Plus on top the ultrasonic sensor was designed for a 5-gal tank, in which case I assume you have an aftermarket 5-gal Ricks or UE tank.

Continued next thread ...

·
Registered Useless
590 Posts
I assume you are aware that the '02 - '06 models use a slide wire that outputs 2.6V (47-ohms) full to roughly 14V (253-ohms) empty, which that generation of ECM's expect. The later model ultrasonic sensors output 0.9V full to 3.8V empty.

So the problem is to convert the sonic voltage range to what the '02 - '06 ECM expects, assuming that's what you have. So your best bet is to find a suitable 12V powered signal conditioner / converter module with a zero and span adjustment of at least 100%. Fortunately there's no shortage of manufacturers such as Phoenix Contact, Allan Bradley, Siemens, Pribusin, ABB, etc.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts