Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

2005 SE questions, continued

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  2003 VRod Rider 
#1 ·
Thank you for the replies on my original thread. Here is a little more info on the bike. Like I had said before, 33,000 miles, matching hard travel bags,( silver top), paint and chrome are perfect. Harley put a new front tire on and salesman said they would have done valve check, radiator fluid change, etc. said only thing I would need to do in short term is bring in for 35,000 oil change. ( I think they should throw that in).
Two things I did not mention before, pipes are changed out to Rhinehart pipes, they sound great. The other thing I have never seen before and the salesman was confused as well. The shifter is almost at same level as foot rest. To shift, you have to wedge your boot from outside the shifter to push it up. Very weird. Have any of you heard of this? Obviously needs to be adjusted.
Price is 9999$.
Thoughts?
Thank you

#2 ·
Pictures would help. Wrong shifter rod (too short)? Shifter lever not set right on the shaft? Does it shift up and down into gears? I wonder all the time about some of dealers and the guys that work there.

#3 ·
It shifts fine. It's not bent and neither are footpegs. It's just that the shifter is set so low that my boot can't get under it with my foot on peg. Salesman will have service dept look at it. There must be a way to adjust. Hope so, cause deal breaker if not.

#4 ·
Sounds like the shift linkage rod got shortened from stock. It's the easiest, simplest explanation. Maybe the prior owner had custom controls (like a floorboard setup with heel/toe shifter) and removed it prior to trade-in? I have a stock '03 VRSCA and my shift linkage is 14.75" from eye to eye.

#5 ·
Kobbs 77,
Your explanation makes a lot of sense. I hope HD service can get back to spec. I was just surprised that no one caught it. The bike is impossible to ride the way it is. I'm assuming that when shifter is removed, they will be able to rotate shifter up. Will find out Monday.
What do you all think about previous owner replacing the stock screamin eagle pipes with Rhineharts? The bike is certain nay much louder!!

#7 ·
I wish original on. Rhineharts super loud.is it a performance issue. A few more hp with Rhineharts or just for sound?
Should dealership check the valves? Salesman didn't know if they had. I would think that they would, I just don't want to be surprised at 35,000 mile service with a valve check and adjustment cost. I hope all I need at 35,000 is an oil change!!

#8 ·
I am with Mike; prolly shifter arm not set right on the shaft, 10mm wrench & a minute easy fix.
That bolt has to come all the way out before the arm to come off and adjustment be done.
Pull off front pulley cover, will ease the situ, add one more minute & 5mm allen wrench.

#9 ·
Well,
I heard from the hd dealership today. The explanation is pretty embarrassing. The salesman said the peg and the bracket were put on backwards! Not sure how and why that would happen. Oh well. Learn something new everyday.
Thank you for all the replies!!
I'll send pics shortly. It is on rockcityhd.com

#10 ·
And that's why I do my own work. :rolleyes: Might I suggest that you might want to get your own service manual.

#12 ·
After seeing the photos from the dealer's site. The lever on the shifter shaft doesn't look like it's set right. It looks like it turned too far back. It should be set more up and down rather than where it is set at. Other than that, it looks good.

#14 ·
That valve check is like a $1500 job. Have THEM do it! And ask for the job sheet to be filled out with all of the clearance measurements and what shims were (may have been) required. Make sure they ACTUALLY do the job. If they can't produce a job sheet (can be found in the service manuel) then they didnt actually do the job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.