Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have V-rod VRSCB 2004.I've done 11.000 miles and having no problems.Recently I've noticed that bike is not idleing right.When it's cold no problem,but when it's hot it idles only on low rps.If I go higher and suddenly close the throttle engine stops.If I start it again(engine hot),rps goes on 2-3.000 for 1/2 a minute and then comes to normal 1.100.The computer says- no problems.

I would appreciate your help.

,,till next turn..

·
ramma jamma
687 Posts
Fuel Flange

hey welcome to the forum V-GAD.

get it idling & open the gas cap, if you see a mist of fuel toward the opening of the tank, you have the common fuel flange crapping out. then search here on the forum & you'll find everything you need & more to repair. flange cost me about $50 if I remember right. i made a tool to get the locking ring off the flange assembly out of stove pipe from the hardware store.

·
ramma jamma
687 Posts
..saw a flange on ebay for $45 just now...

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
What year did this problem get fixed? I noticed my bike idles erratically when hot also. I figured it was because I just put on the K&N filter and Rineharts, so I started adjusting #'s on the map to give it more fuel at low idle RPM's. When did they fix this problem?

·
Born to be mild
202 Posts
You should test the fuel pressure.
I found this very easy to do. There are 'Fuel Injection Pump Testers' all over eBay for $14.90 which comes with a fitting that fits the V-Rod Schrader Valve.
In addition to a possible leak at the fuel flange, it is very easy to develop a pin hole in the plastic cross-over tube between the fuel pump and fuel filter if this tube touches one of the support rods for the fuel module.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The fuel flange wasn't a cure for ideling.
Check for codes.
Check and clean the iac pintle and port.
Check the battery connections.
Visually check the valves for carbon,perform a top engine clean as needed.
Make sure that the ecm has been mapped to match your exhaust and air filter.

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
Thanks, I did notice some carbon on the valves. I guess Fuel Injector cleaner is good to get that carbon off the valves. I'm still trying to find the best map for my setup (Rinehart staggered 2-2's) and I'm trying to find a good Dyno mech in my area (HD Stealership will only tune with their supertuner).

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Thanks, I did notice some carbon on the valves. I guess Fuel Injector cleaner is good to get that carbon off the valves. I'm still trying to find the best map for my setup (Rinehart staggered 2-2's) and I'm trying to find a good Dyno mech in my area (HD Stealership will only tune with their supertuner).
You don't use injector cleaner.You use top engine cleaner.The stuff in the GM can is the best.Do the same thing to your motorcycle as you do when you clean the throttle body and the combustion chambers in your automobile engines.If you don't know how,learn by searching this forum,or take you vehicles to a repair shop that know what they are doing.

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
Thanks Elrod,

I would've used Fuel Injector cleaner too. I'll get some top engine cleaner.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I would look for cracked hoses and/or loose and leaking intake parts. A vacuum leak will cause problems for the idle control. Old bikes develop these no matter how well we care for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts