Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going to start a post on my rebuild, Purchased this bike three years ago with the intentions of doing some test-N-tune Thursday night racing at a few local tracks in my area, kind of a second bike that fits me so well that I decided just to rebuild it mechanically the way I want.
Background the bike was an extremely low-mile one-owner estate sale
The original color was Impact Blue and the owner had the tins changed at the selling dealer to the Black and smokey gold scheme.
It's not my style but after adding the NOS American sport bike carbon fenders I decided to keep the shrouds and air box cover that color combo for the time being but still feel it clashes with the leafy silver frame.
So in the three years of Riding, Racing, and maintaining it slowly wore out and that's expected but the fit and finish appers showroom due to Harley's commitment to high-end products and my commitment to consistent washing and detailing.
But since owning it I beat it hard, Shinko hook up rear tires, 8500RPM.

First-ever run three years ago was a 12.23 and that was with the airbox cover on stock exhaust with the screaming eagle slip-on mufflers.
Over the years it changed with lots of practice and minor changes to the bike, Shinko tire, quick shifter, led shift light, K&N filter, Topless, hole saw the metal plates in the outlet side of the slip-ons (Big improvement in mid-range and top-end) Lighter wheels, and tires, Energy suspension cush drive insert, Different tunes but never going into the engine and always ran consistent mid elevens last ever run was back in March when the air was cool 60-Foot 1.69 - 11.36- Bike only weight on track scale 589 pounds, my weight is 176.

So what next well like to see Low 11 high 10 1/4 times how am I going to get there.
What's planned stripping the bike to the bare frame to have it Re-Powder coated the Leafy silver, That shit poor-fitting V&H Exhaust that I tried left a deep knick in the right side lower tube that was once flawless even after doing valve shims ( painters tape and bubble wrap) Frame, did not know it at the time but worn rear motor mounts contributed.

Screamin Eagle 1250 big bore kit with CNC ported heads.
58 MM throttle bodies
Camshafts?
Akrapovic Header
R&D go through the trans and upgraded the second gear and add the Upgraded HD parts I purchased.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Tire Automotive lighting Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Audio equipment Automotive tire
Tire Automotive tire Camera lens Wheel Cameras & optics

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
While your into the transmission, there were upgrades in the transmission for 2005 and up models to fix earlier problems. Shift fork, shifter ratchet and spring and you should upgrade the shift fork shaft with the solid replacement unit.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, JJrod I purchased the Harley 2005-Up upgraded shift drum # 35486-05K and fork # 35430-01K and am aware of the benefits of the solid shaft but Vance & Hines no longer makes them. Hoping since R&D Trans rebuild destroyer trans is one of the upgrades they offer cause I searched for a while now to buy the Tool Steel solid shaft! Any Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you get the shifter ratchet and spring updated parts?
Those parts came with the shift drum kit, I have always thought about the upgrade convinced that it might have been done under warranty, cause I have made no less then100 passes and only a few times it popped out of second and that’s cause I was using the quick shifter and had the delay set too quick.

I will know real soon once I split the case! Packed it in for today it’s over 100 degrees in my garage

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Everyone, Just wanted to post an update and to be very Honest have not made the progress I wanted as of yet. Been brutally HOT here in South Carolina with my garage reaching over 100 degrees. Was hoping to have it torn down and the frame on its way to the sandblasting company but not happening yet!
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And what's with the bill stuck in the neck? o_O
Me and my v rod have a connection, Let her know what I was doing is hard, so if she would just imagine that the engine is a pole and just to shake her ass and slither around it things would go easier! She did great so I tipped 20 😂

1 - 20 of 65 Posts