Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 30 min, bulbs are burned out, low low and high beam only. any other bike with same issue? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You didn't touch them with your fingers did you?
over voltage will also kill them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't touch them with your fingers did you?
over voltage will also kill them
never touched the glass / other that the plastic part
the ck engine light comes on briefly / and it seems after the bulb is out , same goes for both, low and high beam

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
pull your DTC codes. That check engine light is telling you there is a failure somewhere. The DTC should help chase the problem down.
Also it would help if you told us what year and model bike you are working with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2004 VRod VRSCA , the ck engine comes on every few days, it may be on for 20-30 seconds as i saw , i might have missed some episodes, but by now 2 each high beam and low beam are out. Do i need to have dealer run a test and pull c0odes out or i have a way of ckng ? Thank you

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Check your battery voltage at around 2000 - 2500 rpm.It sounds like you may have a faulty regulator.
Other thing to check is are the filaments actually burnt out or just broken at one or both ends. If they are broken and not burnt then you have a vibration problem with the headlamp, so need to check mountings etc.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
MCD,
My observation is that there is only only one bulb for low beam and one bulb for high beam. You mention that two each are burnt out. What type of lights do you have on the bike? Are these LEDS? A picture would help greatly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike is 100% factory stock .
What i meant was that i burned the 2 bulbs that were in the headlamp , replace both of them with new ones, 30 minutes later both out again.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and start the bike. Should charge about 13-14 volts consistently even revved up. If it’s changing with engine speed (going up over 15v) the voltage regulator has failed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good morning,

Thank you for the msgs, problem solved, broken wire just under handlebars in one of the connectors. All good with voltage regulator, both bulbs on, so back to normal. Regards!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts