Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and thank you for your help.

My '03 with 12K miles is barely running after storage. It started this spring and idled somewhat ok at first but at some point it died and now it runs very poorly (on one cylinder) for a few seconds than than cuts off. That happened same time as I replaced the battery to a Li-Ion light weight unit. I checked voltage of the Li. battery and it is consistent at about 12.5v.
This is what I tried:
  • filled tank with fresh gasoline
  • replaced crankshaft position sensor with new OEM unit, no difference
  • pored little bit of fuel into throttle bodies and it did wake up missing cylinder for a couple of seconds, so it seems that issue is fuel/ecu related.
One more think, bike has V&H exhaust on it and I used to have a Power Commander piggy back on the ECU for that to compensate for the non OEM exhaust, that was removed last year and made no noticeable difference. Bike ran fine before and after, the current symptoms are totally new.

Here is a quick video of what it is doing exactly, please disregard the German part of the clip, that bike is slow and boringly reliable.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Greetings and thank you for your help.

My '03 with 12K miles is barely running after storage. It started this spring and idled somewhat ok at first but at some point it died and now it runs very poorly (on one cylinder) for a few seconds than than cuts off. That happened same time as I replaced the battery to a Li-Ion light weight unit. I checked voltage of the Li. battery and it is consistent at about 12.5v.
This is what I tried:
  • filled tank with fresh gasoline
  • replaced crankshaft position sensor with new OEM unit, no difference
  • pored little bit of fuel into throttle bodies and it did wake up missing cylinder for a couple of seconds, so it seems that issue is fuel/ecu related.
One more think, bike has V&H exhaust on it and I used to have a Power Commander piggy back on the ECU for that to compensate for the non OEM exhaust, that was removed last year and made no noticeable difference. Bike ran fine before and after, the current symptoms are totally new.

Here is a quick video of what it is doing exactly, please disregard the German part of the clip, that bike is slow and boringly reliable.
Two possibles. Spark plug or injector. Change plugs first and go from there.
Ron

·
Registered
439 Posts
First check your fuel pressure with a gauge.
Early V-Rods had fuel flange issues. Old fuel in tank will also kill the fuel lines in that tank.
Check for misting or spraying fuel in tank. Tank should be not full in order to check.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you identify which cylinder is down? I had the same problem a couple of years ago, coil/sparkplug hole was completely filled with oil from head cover gasket and rear cylinder would not start. Just cleaned everything up and the bike started as usual

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you identify which cylinder is down? I had the same problem a couple of years ago, coil/sparkplug hole was completely filled with oil from head cover gasket and rear cylinder would not start. Just cleaned everything up and the bike started as usual
It seems that mine is front, I checked rear and it was dry, will check front also. Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
If the front started running when you introduced fuel. It is not a spark problem. As i mentioned before. The first thing to check is fuel pressure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the front started running when you introduced fuel. It is not a spark problem. As i mentioned before. The first thing to check is fuel pressure.
My thoughts exactly, will check pressure and leaks in the tank.
Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First check your fuel pressure with a gauge.
Early V-Rods had fuel flange issues. Old fuel in tank will also kill the fuel lines in that tank.
Check for misting or spraying fuel in tank. Tank should be not full in order to check.
I hear some fizzing inside, perhaps not just from the pump. Having trouble unscrewing fuel pump assembly cover, it is on very tight. Any suggestions on how to get it undone? Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
You need special tool to remove the ring

·
Registered
93 Posts
You need special tool to remove the ring

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great, I will buy that round grate tonight at Lowes and will get that thing off, thank you!

·
Registered
439 Posts
What was your fuel pressure at?
You are going all over the place without confirming you have a pressure problem. For the last time. To properly diagnose a fuel problem.
YOU NEED TO CHECK FUEL PRESSURE WITH A GAUGE FIRST.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again, thank you all for your help, what a helpful group this is! Compared to some other forums I've been to you guys are some of the best.
The verdict is simple, clogged front injector. I did look inside the tank out of curiosity and it does have a super funky umbilical pipe that extends and contracts with pressure, yet does not leak at all.
On the positive note, I cleaned up gray dirt off the fuel level indicator and my gauge started to work again.
From what I understand, when one cylinder is not firing for few seconds, ECU shuts off the engine (probably for fire safety), however if I keep feeding a tiny bit of fuel into the front throttle engine idles well and stays on. Now I need to pull the intake assembly and clean both injectors, which I am sure is super easy, right?

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Again, thank you all for your help, what a helpful group this is! Compared to some other forums I've been to you guys are some of the best.
The verdict is simple, clogged front injector. I did look inside the tank out of curiosity and it does have a super funky umbilical pipe that extends and contracts with pressure, yet does not leak at all.
On the positive note, I cleaned up gray dirt off the fuel level indicator and my gauge started to work again.
From what I understand, when one cylinder is not firing for few seconds, ECU shuts off the engine (probably for fire safety), however if I keep feeding a tiny bit of fuel into the front throttle engine idles well and stays on. Now I need to pull the intake assembly and clean both injectors, which I am sure is super easy, right?
I'd replace it, or at least have one on hand should the cleaning not pan out.
Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far no luck, still checking every possibility.
mileage - 12039mi
  • crank position sensor NEW
  • both ignition coils, replaced
  • fuel pump, pressure - checked, no leaks inside tank
  • spark plugs, checked, cleaned, good spark
  • injectors, checked, cleaned, switched places.
  • codes from all the tinkering are reset, NO new codes are being generated.
scenario 1- Bike will start, idle for few seconds to a minute, front cylinder will start going off and on, few seconds later engine shuts off.

scenario 2 - Bike will start, I would rev it up and keep throttle open, engine revs nicely until I release the throttle, motor dies immediately at idle.

I am at a loss, perhaps the ECU is bad?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts