Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Vrod King"
923 Posts
20 minute repair job. Shaft just slides in. Remove snap ring and seal. Several threads on this repair job.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
It depends on when the 2003 was built, there was a running change done that year that allowed the shaft to be removed without splitting the cases. Let's hope yours was built after the change.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
It depends on when the 2003 was built, there was a running change done that year that allowed the shaft to be removed without splitting the cases. Let's hope yours was built after the change.
I've heard this mentioned a few times about there being a running change to the spring, yet the part nos for both the springs are the same from 2002 all the way to 2016 without even a revision no. change. Any idea where this info comes from? I have never managed to find anything that actually confirms it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've heard this mentioned a few times about there being a running change to the spring, yet the part nos for both the springs are the same from 2002 all the way to 2016 without even a revision no. change. Any idea where this info comes from? I have never managed to find anything that actually confirms it.
I am curious as well since I need to replace the shaft on my '02.

What is the suggested repair method from '02 to mid '03?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
According to the internal Harley "Technical Forum" of January 2005, the VRSC "shifter actuator assembly" was changed in December 2004:

In 2006 the shifter actuator was combined with the shift drum as P/N 35017-01K.

I am curious as well since I need to replace the shaft on my '02.

What is the suggested repair method from '02 to mid '03?...
Pray that the shifter actuator springs don't move things out of alignment when you pull the broken shaft out. There's not much else you can do. If the new shaft won't slide back in, you're likely going to be splitting the crank case.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
According to the internal Harley "Technical Forum" of January 2005, the VRSC "shifter actuator assembly" was changed in December 2004:

In 2006 the shifter actuator was combined with the shift drum as P/N 35017-01K.

Pray that the shifter actuator springs don't move things out of alignment when you pull the broken shaft out. There's not much else you can do. If the new shaft won't slide back in, you're likely going to be splitting the crank case.
The only thing I can see between the 2 that could cause a problem with the assembly shifting to stop the shaft re-entering is that the glide arm appears to be retained in the later part. I could imagine that if the assembly shifted sufficiently to one side with the shaft retracted then maybe the glide arm could become dislocated if its spring is strong enough to move the assembly, which would then require a tear down. I think this picture puts to bed the myth that its the selector springs that caused the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let's say I have to split the case..

Is there any other updated parts I should do like the shifter actuator and a slipper clutch?
Just wanting to take advantage of "while I'm in there".

I have ok mechanic skills with working on cars and diesels but it would be my first time splitting a case.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Let's say I have to split the case..

Is there any other updated parts I should do like the shifter actuator and a slipper clutch?
Just wanting to take advantage of "while I'm in there".

I have ok mechanic skills with working on cars and diesels but it would be my first time splitting a case.
If you split the case you'll need to replace the main crankshaft bearings. You'll need to look at the crankshaft to know what size bearings you need. There are three sizes:
24409-01K Main Bearing Shell (Red)
24410-01K Main Bearing Shell (Green)
24411-01K Main Bearing Shell (Blue)

The crank counter weight is marked as follows:
ALT w xy z​
Where the "w" and "z" will be either a R, G, or B designating the color codes for the main bearings ("w" is on the alternator side and "z" is the clutch side). The "x" and "y" are the color codes for the rod bearings.

Besides the slipper clutch, you can also consider changing the shifter fork that was modified when the shifter actuator assembly was changed:
4th to 5th shifter fork = P/N 35430-01KA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts