Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Today my bike stalled after filling up started right up after fillup when to pull away and stalled. started back up but as soon as i tried to pull away it stalled again. Battery was dead at this point but the car tech at the gas station i go to brought out a jumper and jumped the bike, started right up gave it some throttle then died again. Checked the codes and the bike was throwing p0505, b1006 and b1007. got my buddy to trailer it back to my house. let it sit on the battery tender for a few minutes and started it again and it ran fine idled fine reved it and it seemed fine. Codes went away.

The PO told me this has happened to him before but intermittently. he had the bike serviced at our local harley dealer and they replaced the Throttle position sensor as they found it faulty but they couldn't replicate the issue. The tech told him it could be an issue within the fuel system it self that the fuel filter could be clogging up. I'm thinking the b codes were due to the battery dieing after starting it a bunch and lowering its voltage. I checked the battery terminals and they are tight and clean. took off the air box cover and its incredibly clean including the throttle bodies them selves. Could the IAC sensor be the issue? or could the fuel filter actually be getting clogged and after filling up the filter gets clogged enough to cause it to start but stall after idling?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Hello All,

Today my bike stalled after filling up started right up after fillup when to pull away and stalled. started back up but as soon as i tried to pull away it stalled again. Battery was dead at this point but the car tech at the gas station i go to brought out a jumper and jumped the bike, started right up gave it some throttle then died again. Checked the codes and the bike was throwing p0505, b1006 and b1007. got my buddy to trailer it back to my house. let it sit on the battery tender for a few minutes and started it again and it ran fine idled fine reved it and it seemed fine. Codes went away.

The PO told me this has happened to him before but intermittently. he had the bike serviced at our local harley dealer and they replaced the Throttle position sensor as they found it faulty but they couldn't replicate the issue. The tech told him it could be an issue within the fuel system it self that the fuel filter could be clogging up. I'm thinking the b codes were due to the battery dieing after starting it a bunch and lowering its voltage. I checked the battery terminals and they are tight and clean. took off the air box cover and its incredibly clean including the throttle bodies them selves. Could the IAC sensor be the issue? or could the fuel filter actually be getting clogged and after filling up the filter gets clogged enough to cause it to start but stall after idling?

Your p0505 is just saying that it lost control of the idle speed, but the other two b1006 and b1007 are both OVER voltage codes which would suggest a possible faulty regulator/rectifier unit. This may have triggered the idle problem. You need to put a voltmeter across the battery with engine revving and see what voltages you are getting as your first step. You shouldn't really be seeing more than 14.7v

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Just read your post again and I see you jump started it so maybe the over voltage codes are from that. If so then you probably should focus on the IAC

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just read your post again and I see you jump started it so maybe the over voltage codes are from that. If so then you probably should focus on the IAC
I believe you are right on the money with that, tested and I'm getting 14.51v. I think I have found the issue, the rear engine breather tube that connects to the air box was barley on the barb and the hose it self is messed up on the end. I pulled it off completely started the bike and it stalled after revving, So I think that's the issue. I have some spare hose from another project but getting that bend done is causing kinks in the hose.

Does anyone know where i might be able to get a replacement for that hose?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I believe you are right on the money with that, tested and I'm getting 14.51v. I think I have found the issue, the rear engine breather tube that connects to the air box was barley on the barb and the hose it self is messed up on the end. I pulled it off completely started the bike and it stalled after revving, So I think that's the issue. I have some spare hose from another project but getting that bend done is causing kinks in the hose.

I think it is still available from HD It's only a few $$
BREATHER TUBE, rear Part no. 29602-01A

·
Registered
5,238 Posts

Breather hose, other then mess has no effect on idle. The 14.5 is at the upper end but not enough in itself to throw a code. I think it takes 16v for at least 5 seconds for the code to show up. Mind you if the regulator is flakey spikes in this range can happen. 13.8-14.2 is the general charging range. Idle control is still 99.9% related to the IAC or dirty IAC port.
Ron

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Breather hose, other then mess has no effect on idle. The 14.5 is at the upper end but not enough in itself to throw a code. I think it takes 16v for at least 5 seconds for the code to show up. Mind you if the regulator is flakey spikes in this range can happen. 13.8-14.2 is the general charging range. Idle control is still 99.9% related to the IAC or dirty IAC port.
Ron
I thought that as well in the beginning but when I saw the hose not even connected to the barb made me wonder and makes sense as to why it would be intermittent. took the hose off started it and it stalled. tightened up the hose and seems to have fixed the issue, though when I replace the battery which I was intending to do anyways, ill take a look at the iac possibly replace/clean.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Hello All,

before you do anything replace the bloody system relay,they gave lots of troubles such as this on the early narrow frame bikes,its cheap and could be the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts