Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK, so here's my long winded take on the matter. I suspect you meant it feels like the clutch won't disengage. Sounds like a typical 1st to second shift to me. I generally shift slower into second from first in normal easy riding. Almost like hit neutral then slip into second or like a slower shift sequence. If I get more aggressive, then yes there's a mini grind going in. It's the only gear that does it and none of the others either up or down. Some of this is design based and the gear speeds for shift dog engagement that cause that mini grind at certain rpm and rolling speeds.
All of the v rods I've ridden do this and all of them had slippers but I don't feel there's an actual connection to the clutch unless the locking ramps haven't quite released in a quick first to second shift. That's also a possible reason. All I know is if you hit neutral then second rather then ram through neutral there is no grind. Maybe that's just enough time for the clutch ramp to release. So, it could be a combo of both second gear design and speeds or the clutch ramping keeping a small amount of pressure on the plates so you almost do a mini clutchless shift. In either case, it's normal and no Amsoil will not cure it. LOL
Ron
Yes, I meant disengage. :) I check what the locking ramp is, and see what that does, just for my own curiosity. I will give it a go and see if the theory stands when riding. I might have to change my shifting style for this new clutch, although this feels completely different than my previous one, not sure why. With the old one I could hardly shift when above 5K RPM, also shifting was so hard my boots were denting at the toe end. :) What about Repsol, would that cure it? (just kidding)

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Yes, I meant disengage. :) I check what the locking ramp is, and see what that does, just for my own curiosity. I will give it a go and see if the theory stands when riding. I might have to change my shifting style for this new clutch, although this feels completely different than my previous one, not sure why. With the old one I could hardly shift when above 5K RPM, also shifting was so hard my boots were denting at the toe end. :) What about Repsol, would that cure it? (just kidding)
By all means , experiment. I now generally short shift to second if not in a hurry and seldom get get that grind. That can bring in another quirk. If not positive in the shift enough, neutral will be hit instead.Lol
Ron

21 - 22 of 22 Posts