Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of used rigid leather saddlebags, 90956-02a, the kind with the velcro top. I have all the hardware needed EXCEPT the support shock mount, the part that attcheds to the shock bolt on the inside of the fender. Does anyone know where you can get this piece? The kit that it comes in is 79200-02 and is no longer available and i cant seem to find a compatible kit. Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Check the forum carefully someone was parting out a 2003 VRSCA, also Zannoti's was taken over by someone and they had a few hard to find VROD parts. There was a post in the forum about this 2 days or so ago.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,379 Posts
HD doesn't sell that piece individually. Looks like you found someone that has a pair to sell from your other post but if not I have previously fabricated a piece that will work. Can either send you a drawing or make some if you can't come up with the factory items.
I hate it when people sell you something that's incomplete.

·
Registered
327 Posts
rc4man;2297702I hate it when people sell you something that's incomplete.[/QUOTE said:
To be fair to the seller
The part in question, does not look like it has any association to the saddlebag fixing bracket
its hidden away
The seller probably thought they were standard on the bike, even unaware of there relevance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so my local Harley Davidson dealership say that there is not a nut that the shock support goes into. Does anyone have the part number for a 2003 VROD rear shock upper support nut?

·
Registered
327 Posts
post this on the Uk section, you might get a answer

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Ok so my local Harley Davidson dealership say that there is not a nut that the shock support goes into. Does anyone have the part number for a 2003 VROD rear shock upper support nut?
The OEM upper shock mount nut is P/N 48486-01 (used from 2002 to 2006), and shown here as item #11. The part that replaces this when mounting saddlebag supports is P/N 79068-01 (not available separately) and shown here:

·
EXCELSIOR
8,379 Posts
Batman, the integral nut/arm is a one piece item that only comes with the saddle bag brackets as originally provided in the kit. That is the item pictured in the post above.
The piece that I fabricated utilizes the stock stop shock nut. follow link to my sketch. You could fabricate or have someone this and it would work as well.
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2299746#post2299746

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I recently purchased a set of used rigid leather saddlebags, 90956-02a, the kind with the velcro top. I have all the hardware needed EXCEPT the support shock mount, the part that attcheds to the shock bolt on the inside of the fender. Does anyone know where you can get this piece? The kit that it comes in is 79200-02 and is no longer available and i cant seem to find a compatible kit. Thanks for any help...
Those are the FPOS bags. Several of us have lost stuff out of them when the velcro stopped velcroing. I suggest adding a latch to the front.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,379 Posts
Though late, as a follow up I finally found the brackets that I made. They had been hiding in a box, among many since my move last year.
While not specifically made to replace the exact bracket needed if I knew the correct hole center-to-center distance I could make/provide a sketch here that anyone could use to fabricate one since it seems so many are buying used bag sets and not getting this important attchment part. See photo of bracket, previous page, post #9.

From the photo you can see that I designed it to utilize the stock shock nut, the head keys against the flat milled in the bracket to prevent it rotating during tightening/loosening. The other point also keys that bolt head for the same purpose.

Basically 1/4" thick x 1 1/4" wide steel flat bar, though aluminum could be used as well.

If someone has a bracket lying about and could let me know the proper hole spacing I'll make and post a drawing here for anyone to download and use.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts