Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!!! New to the group. I have an 03 VRSCA that I’m wanting to do the 240 rear. I’ve searched and I’ve seen a lot of older post from 11-12. So I thought I’d start a new one to see if anyone can help me out by figuring out where to start on getting it on. I have the 8.5 inch rim and tire already. Just don’t know what to do after that!!! Do I need a different fender, swingarm, etc... Can anyone help me out??? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hi everyone!!! New to the group. I have an 03 VRSCA that I’m wanting to do the 240 rear. I’ve searched and I’ve seen a lot of older post from 11-12. So I thought I’d start a new one to see if anyone can help me out by figuring out where to start on getting it on. I have the 8.5 inch rim and tire already. Just don’t know what to do after that!!! Do I need a different fender, swingarm, etc... Can anyone help me out??? Thank you in advance.
There are many threads on here with all the info you require. Do a search for "budgdt240" and you will find a lot. Here is an example of one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Howdy there Tomlinson, basically rear fender can stay but mostly sure you'll have to reduce profile and get rid of brackets.
Swingarm...swingarm is the pain in the neck, honestly, I would make it, or pay some aluminum/ steel handy welder-bender to make it. Then you'll need a spacer for the front pulley since you don't want to downgrade to a narrow belt. There are a bunch of custom shops that sell the kits for 240/300 at stupid prices (plus $5k) and you don't want to alter the whole rear set up. So I would go with a custom swingers made by yourself or some handy guy and keep everything stock but the pulley spacer. There is this company in Daytona that sell this kind of swingarm that's pretty much plug and play but the spacer, and they sell it for $1,700tish (they bring it from Germany) and that's good though, but you'll expend about $600/$700 if you do it yourself. Also you can buy a post 2007 v-rod swing arm that already have the clearance for 240, not sure 300. To make it short, if you do it, you'll do it on budget (doesn't mean cheap) but if you buy one of those kits they will get an eye an a lung from you and sincerely there is no magic or mystic to justified what they charge.
Now, with all due respect, why would you want to convert to 240 and have extra weight, less handling perhaps grip rather than keep it stock and modify the rear end? I personally was about to do the same thing, and after riding a couple friends v-rods with 300 and a muscle with 240 I didn't feel the same handling and or confidence than with 180/200. Then I started working with this designer Sebastien Sil retrofitting my bike into old school and minimalistic. I also did a post wondering why all the v-rod custom looks not so custom and pretty much the same.
Just my 2 cents and welcome to the group.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I get the 07 swingarm, what does it consist of to get the swingarm and 240 on??? And thank you man for your help in advance...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If I get the 07 swingarm, what does it consist of to get the swingarm and 240 on??? And thank you man for your help in advance...
To fit an 07 on swingarm you will need to change the right engine mount and the pivot bolt to fit it. Then you will need to use the later 25mm rear pulley and belt as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The swingarm that comes with the 2007 and up for the muscles 240mm is pretty much plug and play in your v-rod and quite OEM, you could keep your sprocket and belt if in good conditions, and a great occasion to replace bearings if needed but you'll still have to get the spacer for the front pulley or upgrade the pulley from a post 2007 as well. Don't get confused since there are a couple models 2007 that also fashion the 180mm, so if you go with this way you got to look for the ones for 240mm. From a mechanical and physics point the narrow belt is not as safe as the wide one, torque, clutch variations and wear in the v-rod are intense, and the wide one is meant for it, still a lot of people went that path, but I won't personally. And again, have in minds that the vrscaw was conceived a with a 240 roll but the trade off was getting heavier and slower, not a snail, but compared with standards, that's why I believe they upgrade the engine in 2008 to compensate it, but not 100% sure about this. I would suggest you to talk with a handy crafty town welder and estimate how much could be to shape a swingarm for your ride. With the right person and right tools it shouldn't be rocket science. I saw several custom swingarms homemade that you won't dare to think they're not production, the main thing is if you want to pay someone to do it or you can gather the right people and do it yourself.
Even I'm designing a mono swingarm for mine, and still discussing material and were to upgrade to +240 or keep it 180/200mm.
Again, just my 2 cents and no intention to brainwash you or argue with no one.
Best

·
Registered
24 Posts
As Coastrider well stated you could change engine mounts and pivot but keep your sprocket, and still in budget that doesn't mean cheap but keeping an eye on costs ?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
As Coastrider well stated you could change engine mounts and pivot but keep your sprocket, and still in budget that doesn't mean cheap but keeping an eye on costs ?
No he can't! While it is possible to get the wide pulley to fit with the late wheel and swingarm, you will have no belt. The later 07 on swingarm is longer than the early one and belt sizes change from 149/150T on the wide belt to 151/152T on the later 25mm belt. What makes you think that the later belt is not safe?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Howdy there, I understand that you're fast in response, remember when you blasted my statement about relocating the TSSM module without reasoning what I did, then you understood that I was speaking about how a motion/ positional sensor works...but you omitted to assume how sensors work in a plane (yaw, pitch, roll and on and on)...again I'm not gonna argue with you neither get along, when I talk, I talk on tacit, facts, doable things that I can corroborate with my view and touch it, enter "Empiric", that's my world.

Here is a spec list where it looks pretty clear to me that it can be adapted, I'm not saying easily but can be done, and I saw it done, is doable and what Tomlinson is looking for is a little advice in convert to 240 without breaking the bank, and that, that's doable, I saw it and I know that's possible along with several contingencies, and if Tomlinson needs an advice that's what I'm trying to pass to him and not tell him to no bother because there are a bunch of post/ discussions already, that's what a forum is for, right? At least this how we are used to in the States...
Number of teeth on the belt...Number of teeth is related with the distance between the front pulley and the sprocket and that still the same ins't it?

40027-01A: 150T/37 mm wide 180mm 30Teeth pulley
40105-04: 149T/37 mm wide 180mm 28Teeth pulley
40118-05: 149T/35 mm wide VRSCE 180mm 28Teeth pulley
40119-05: 150T/35 mm wide VRSCE 180mm 30Teeth pulley
40627-06: 149T/21 mm wide VRSCE2 240mm 28Teeth pulley
40658-06: 150T/21 mm wide VRSCE2 240mm 30Teeth pulley
40144-07: 151T/25 mm wide from 2007 240mm and 28Teeth pulley
40145-07: 152T/25 mm wide from 2007 240mm 30Teeth pulley

If don't...please explain, elaborate how one of my managers just plug and play a 2018 Fatboy 114 240mm rear wheel on his 2004 v-rod and with a 2007 swingarm adapted for length????

I believe that you're underestimating the ability of some humans to adapt/ modify to functional, so why he would want to go 240m with need a narrow belt? Wider belts are not made with the same materials as the narrow belts and shops statically replace them as twice because they break easier, that doesn't mean that they're bad, what that's means is that they're not meant to stress as the wider ones, but at the end, that's my decision for my freaking bikes and what's keep me in the road and I truly believe that as well is a Tomlinson choice, ins't it?
So he'll need an spacer to move the pulley and belt out of the engine one or two inches. There is about fifth sixteentish difference in the belts, at the end keeping the sprocket with the spacer should work like last nite.

149tooth:
40627-06.....21mm................................14mm
40118-05.....25mm.....'02-'06 vrsc...........14mm
40105-04.....37mm.....'07 vrscr

150 tooth:
40658-06.....21mm...............................14mm
40119-05.....25mm...............................14mm
40027-01A....37mm.....'07 euro

151 tooth
40144-07.....25mm.....stock vrscdx '07.....14mm

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Howdy there, I understand that you're fast in response, remember when you blasted my statement about relocating the TSSM module without reasoning what I did, then you understood that I was speaking about how a motion/ positional sensor works...but you omitted to assume how sensors work in a plane (yaw, pitch, roll and on and on)...again I'm not gonna argue with you neither get along, when I talk, I talk on tacit, facts, doable things that I can corroborate with my view and touch it, enter "Empiric", that's my world.

Here is a spec list where it looks pretty clear to me that it can be adapted, I'm not saying easily but can be done, and I saw it done, is doable and what Tomlinson is looking for is a little advice in convert to 240 without breaking the bank, and that, that's doable, I saw it and I know that's possible along with several contingencies, and if Tomlinson needs an advice that's what I'm trying to pass to him and not tell him to no bother because there are a bunch of post/ discussions already, that's what a forum is for, right? At least this how we are used to in the States...
Number of teeth on the belt...Number of teeth is related with the distance between the front pulley and the sprocket and that still the same ins't it?

If don't...please explain, elaborate how one of my managers just plug and play a 2018 Fatboy 114 240mm rear wheel on his 2004 v-rod and with a 2007 swingarm adapted for length????

I believe that you're underestimating the ability of some humans to adapt/ modify to functional, so why he would want to go 240m with need a narrow belt? Wider belts are not made with the same materials as the narrow belts and shops statically replace them as twice because they break easier, that doesn't mean that they're bad, what that's means is that they're not meant to stress as the wider ones, but at the end, that's my decision for my freaking bikes and what's keep me in the road and I truly believe that as well is a Tomlinson choice, ins't it?
So he'll need an spacer to move the pulley and belt out of the engine one or two inches. There is about fifth sixteentish difference in the belts, at the end keeping the sprocket with the spacer should work like last nite.

149tooth:

150 tooth:

151 tooth
Sorry, I cannot make head nor tail out of what you have just written, but I will repeat myself.
A 2007 on swingarm fitted to a 2003 V Rod will require the use of a 151T belt with a front pulley of 28T and a 152T belt with a 30T front pulley due to the extra length of the swingarm. Neither of those sized belts can be purchased in 37mm width, hence the need to use the 25mm width rear pulley.
If you believe you can do otherwise then "have at it" but don't try to mislead other people.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

149tooth:

150 tooth:

151 tooth
As a seperate thing, I think if you read back to the post you refer, to say I "blasted" your statement is a bit strong. I merely misunderstood your badly worded post as I then explained.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Whatever “Mr I know it all”, please accept my apologies and keep counseling Tomlinson how to get a 240, form now and on I self ban myself to ever address you, I expect the same from you. So long.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Whatever “Mr I know it all”, please accept my apologies and keep counseling Tomlinson how to get a 240, form now and on I self ban myself to ever address you, I expect the same from you. So long.
I do not ,nor ever have, professed to "know it all". I do however try to help people with as accurate information as I can if and when I can, and not try to lead people down the proverbial garden path with bad info and unledgable posts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hope then, that you just doesn't understand my point.
I'll try to be mored didactic with my explaining so you can catch my write.
His options to me are pretty simple, pretty low cost or stupidly high cost. Yes, the 2007 swingarm can be totally retrofitted approaching the length of the earliest bikes. it needs focus and be handy on metals/weld and can be make in a few hours, he can also retrofit his current old swingarm reaching the swingarm axis length for the 240, either way hell need a spacer. Or he can just buy one plug and play in Daytona plus the spacer for about $2.5k, or else.
1)you get you actual swingarm to a decent welder and extend the axis to the length that will hold the 240 (for more redneck that it sounds) then you keep everything stock but need a spacer for the pulley.
2)you get a 2007 and short it to the length of the actual swingarm, plus the spacer (my favorite solution with a handy help)
3)you build with a welder/metal expert a swingarm on either steel or aluminum, plus the spacer.
4) you buy it for a place like Eurocomponents plus the spacer, they also sell it.
and specifically this one is plug and play plus the spacer.
5) you just get yourself a kit go up the mile in budget.

do you understand me now? what part of this clear water explaining is misleading?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have no dog in this fight, but speaking from my OWN experience here, you already have the biggest expense in the wheel and tire already. No need to get a different swingarm or spacer for the front pulley. You will need to make a spacer for the caliper side of wheel, grind a small angle on the caliper mount (2 minute job) notch the belt guards a little, cut the inner fender for clearance. Use the 21mm narrow belt, everything I have read about these narrow belts is they are STRONGER then the wide belt. Don't believe me though, search for yourself. I'm sure there are a couple other things I am missing but it is really not hard if you can wrench at all. I attached a diagram from Hoffa in your other post. This is the route I took. Don't make it more complicated then it needs to be.
One last thing.... the main reason I stayed with as much oem parts as I could is for maintenance and replacement parts. All my bearings for the wheels(front and back) and swingarm are stock for MY bike. easy for me to remember later.;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Moler,
Thanks for your feedback and your experience which I was unaware of but still have to stick to the narrow belt, whatsoever it can be very helpful to Tomlinson and he can get use of it. Regarding "this fight"...there is no fight, I been modifying trucks, boats, small planes and bikes all my life as a hobby and I just hate armchairs nay people that makes you look like you "don't know what you're saying", sadly there is bunch of them everywhere since diminishing is for free...I'm saying since the beginning that he can use his current swingarm as well just retrofitting the arm axis and bracket, or slightly retrofit a post 2007 240mm swingarm (to the length of the 2001/2005, then the spacer then keep everything stock. I honestly never though about your option and of course I believe you, though the diagram is also very didactic and interesting.
Again, I just got to the forum to share and get functional doable tips, and that's what I was trying to provide: sharing with Tomlinson my point of view. Down the road south in Miami, (go there at least once a month) you can see any kind of conversions, (redneck/ ghetto conversions) that are factory functional and also looks freaking good, and all the way north you see this frankenmods by tons in bike week Daytona or Sturgis, but mostly in Daytona. So of course I believe you, that's the point of being in a forum right? By the way, Tomlinson says first that he have already the wheels and tires and loose for a budget fix to the thing.
Thanks for your 2 cents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts