Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friends 2003 V Rod. My newest Harley is a 1961 and I'm not familiar with security systems on bikes. I have a feeling this is related to that.

I had the bike running perfectly but would not start after sitting for a couple months. The bikes battery was bad so I replaced with new. The motor would turn over but not fire unless I sprayed a little gas in throttle body with a syringe so I know it's sparking.

The battery in the key fob was also weak so I replaced with new. Still doing the same thing. Turns over but does not fire. Exact same response with no battery in fob.

Does the security system stop the injectors from firing? Seems odd that both injectors would fail or clog at same time but possible. Or is there a relay to inspect? All fuses seem good.

Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Check to see if the pump runs for 2 secs on initial power up when the ign is turned on. If not check the system relay. If you hear the pump and you have fuel pressure then it could be stuck injectors. This is not uncommon with these bikes when they have been stood a while. They will sometimes free off giving them a light tap as you crank it.

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
30 Posts
It starts with starting fluid, or even just a few drops of regular gas?

I agree probably fuel inject cleaning/workup... less likely pump or something else fuel system. Let us know.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Agree with the above comments. Pump not running or injectors. Doubt both injectors at the same time though, which leads me to fuel pump related for first checks. If one injector only, it will still attempt to run on one cylinder . Security, kills the starting circuit, so it wouldn't even turn over. Password error in the security, it will start but quit after couple seconds. Neither of these sounds like your problem. Turn key on and listen for the pump. It will run about 2-3 seconds and stop. To start it again the key needs to be turned off then on again to hear it run again. Continuous running of the fuel pump only happens once engine starts.If you hear the pump function , do a fuel pressure test. If 57-62 psi, then injectors. Before anything, look for an engine code.
Ron

·
The Hawk
3,919 Posts
2003 models were the ones experiencing cracked fuel flange in the fuel tank. To check, remove gas cap, with a flashlight look into the fuel tank while turning on the key and listening for the fuel pump to run. If you have a cracked fuel flange you will see a spray of fuel in the tank when the fuel pump is running. It helps to have a 1/2 tank or less. Replacement of the fuel flange is the fix.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check to see if the pump runs for 2 secs on initial power up when the ign is turned on. If not check the system relay. If you hear the pump and you have fuel pressure then it could be stuck injectors. This is not uncommon with these bikes when they have been stood a while. They will sometimes free off giving them a light tap as you crank it.
Thank you. The pump does come on for a few seconds when ignition is turned to Ign. Seemed odd that both injectors would suddenly clog at one time but I agree, it's time to take them out and inspect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It starts with starting fluid, or even just a few drops of regular gas?

I agree probably fuel inject cleaning/workup... less likely pump or something else fuel system. Let us know.
Thank you. Yes, it starts for a second with a small amount of gas in the throttle body. I'll inspect the injectors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree with the above comments. Pump not running or injectors. Doubt both injectors at the same time though, which leads me to fuel pump related for first checks. If one injector only, it will still attempt to run on one cylinder . Security, kills the starting circuit, so it wouldn't even turn over. Password error in the security, it will start but quit after couple seconds. Neither of these sounds like your problem. Turn key on and listen for the pump. It will run about 2-3 seconds and stop. To start it again the key needs to be turned off then on again to hear it run again. Continuous running of the fuel pump only happens once engine starts.If you hear the pump function , do a fuel pressure test. If 57-62 psi, then injectors. Before anything, look for an engine code.
Ron
Thank you. The pump does work. Pumps for a few seconds then stops as it should. I did not do a pressure test but will now. I do find it odd that it was sudden and on both sides but I've seen stranger things...
I have been having a hard time with engine code.

·
Registered
2007 VRSCAW
1 Posts
2003 models were the ones experiencing cracked fuel flange in the fuel tank. To check, remove gas cap, with a flashlight look into the fuel tank while turning on the key and listening for the fuel pump to run. If you have a cracked fuel flange you will see a spray of fuel in the tank when the fuel pump is running. It helps to have a 1/2 tank or less. Replacement of the fuel flange is the fix.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Interesting thing to look at. Thank you for you suggestion and how to check it. Not having any other RODs to compare it too makes it difficult too what is considered "normal" with these bikes.

Having something similar with my 2007 VRSCAW, 12k mls, so just dropping my experience for comparison. Looking for a solution for this too.

It is one of these things were it runs fine most of the time, but sometimes it just seems it lacks power a bit, likes to "sputter"/plop when holding throttle around 3000 rpm. When it does this then usually I had the same start issue: needing to open the throttle slightly to get it to start running. It began doing this after being parked a few hours during the day, almost never on a real "cold" morning start, although now a year later the cold starts can show the same.
It is always way worse when the tank is 2/3 full or lower - the lower the fuel in the tank the worse it gets. When on a ride and when it is displaying this behavior, then stopping for a refuel (full) it mostly always is gone after restarting.
Sometimes it feels as if it pulls a tiny bit of air into the fuel line, sometimes plopping sounds (not real misfire), again mostly around 2000-3000 rpm, above 3500 rpm all good. Can definitely notice it on idling too in those cases, running a bit rough (not extremely) and feels a bit weaker too.

I have had it checked out by both HD an my indy garage, both could not find any issues, no fault codes, pump pressure all ok, pump always primes after switching ignition on.
Battery has been replaced, starter relay replaced, security fob batteries renewed every year.

I have heard about the cracked fuel flange before but was not sure if it applies to the VRSCAW too. Will see if I can check it out next week (just filled it up so need to go for a ride first :D but the weather is not the best just now) and post an update in case I find anything.

·
Hillbilly on a Bike
17 Posts
I had the same issue to a point. When i was just below 1/2 a tank it would do that. When its doing the issue grab a good pen light and take the gas cap off and look in the gas tank. Cycle the key to get the fuel pump to come on. If you get misting or spray you have a leak. What i found out is one of the hoses that goes from the pump to the filter had a split oring. So i got a o ring from an old injector off my car. shaved it down on the sides and O.D; popped it in and BAM! problem solved.
Not sure you have this issue but its worth a look into.

Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts