Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,
I'm new to this community and cannot comment on some of the classifieds yet, or they are old and out dated. So with that being said does anyone have a seat for a VRSCA they are willing to part with. Preferably an aftermarket seat. I saw someone selling a sundowner with the 100th anniversary backrest I'm really interested but cant comment for some reason. Either way I can no longer take the stock seat as it's killing my lower back even on shorter rides, but maybe im spoiled and used to the seat on my 09' SG. Thanks for the help/suggestions. 馃

Registered
Good day,
I'm new to this community and cannot comment on some of the classifieds yet, or they are old and out dated. So with that being said does anyone have a seat for a VRSCA they are willing to part with. Preferably an aftermarket seat. I saw someone selling a sundowner with the 100th anniversary backrest I'm really interested but cant comment for some reason. Either way I can no longer take the stock seat as it's killing my lower back even on shorter rides, but maybe im spoiled and used to the seat on my 09' SG. Thanks for the help/suggestions. 馃
As I said in your other post it is because you needed to be a member for at least 10 days AND have posted 10 times elsewhere. You now have 11 posts so you should be free to answer any adverts in Classifieds now just as you have been able to post this. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I said in your other post it is because you needed to be a member for at least 10 days AND have posted 10 times elsewhere. You now have 11 posts so you should be free to answer any adverts in Classifieds now just as you have been able to post this. (y)
Yes, thank you was just trying to hit my required posts

Registered
There are several aftermarket seats available. Saddlemen, Corbin, Russel and more. All of them are almost twice the price of a Sundowner. The advantage to them is they offer a riders and passenger backrest. UTOPIA makes a riders backrest for the VROD. A new Sundowner and Utopia backrest are still cheaper than all of the aftermarket seats. And they are more comfortable. Utopia Products - Motorcycle Driver Backrest - Motorcycle Seat

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are several aftermarket seats available. Saddlemen, Corbin, Russel and more. All of them are almost twice the price of a Sundowner. The advantage to them is they offer a riders and passenger backrest. UTOPIA makes a riders backrest for the VROD. A new Sundowner and Utopia backrest are still cheaper than all of the aftermarket seats. And they are more comfortable. Utopia Products - Motorcycle Driver Backrest - Motorcycle Seat
Yea I've seen a few and I'm not worried for the price I just need something more comfortable on the back not quite a backrest though

Registered
Thanks! How are they in terms of supporting the lower back? I'm hoping they cup you more than the stock, stock is trash IMO
I couldn't agree more. The Badlander seat that most VRODS came with is good for about an hour of riding. I do think it looks the best of all of them. But I'm more function over form these day. The Sundowner does cup your butt a lot more than the Badlander. But nothing supports the lower back like a riders backrest.

Registered
As the owner of a Corbin... I can say it has a good shape but is hard as a brick. I even had mine reworked locally with softer foam. So unless you like firm, don鈥檛 go that route

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As the owner of a Corbin... I can say it has a good shape but is hard as a brick. I even had mine reworked locally with softer foam. So unless you like firm, don鈥檛 go that route
Yea I heard they're hard. And I'm still debating to get one or not. How does it support the lower back? Which one do you have?

EXCELSIOR
The stock seat is a killer, an hour at a pop is about the best you can stand, though typically that's as long as you can go before you need to stop for gas.
As HD seats go the Sundowner is not bad. Better than the stock. I ran one for a few years it will get you further down the road.
I eventually sent my stock original seat out to Russell Cycle and had them do their Daylong rebuild and it truly lives up to the name. When I did I had them move me an inch forward, but even without that additional mod it's still a much more comfortable bucket to sit in.
As for Corbin's, people either love them or hate them, no in between. As mentioned the foam is HARD, they get their advertised comfort from shape and amount of surface area contact to spread out the load. However if it doesn't fit you, you will never break it in, it will break you in. I looked at Corbin's and have tried them on other peoples bikes of various brands and everyone I've ever tried I hated.
Attached photo of the "Cruise Rod" loaded for a trip
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The stock seat is a killer, an hour at a pop is about the best you can stand, though typically that's as long as you can go before you need to stop for gas.
As HD seats go the Sundowner is not bad. Better than the stock. I ran one for a few years it will get you further down the road.
I eventually sent my stock original seat out to Russell Cycle and had them do their Daylong rebuild and it truly lives up to the name. When I did I had them move me an inch forward, but even without that additional mod it's still a much more comfortable bucket to sit in.
As for Corbin's, people either love them or hate them, no in between. As mentioned the foam is HARD, they get their advertised comfort from shape and amount of surface area contact to spread out the load. However if it doesn't fit you, you will never break it in, it will break you in. I looked at Corbin's and have tried them on other peoples bikes of various brands and everyone I've ever tried I hated.
Attached photo of the "Cruise Rod" loaded for a trip
View attachment 607236
Great insight! I appreciate the descriptive explanation to the various options its just hard to decide not being able to try any out without buying them

Registered
The old nickname for the Sundowner years ago was "THE COUCH" Quite a few didn't like them because is was wide and covered the frame and ruined the "Looks of the Motorcycle" Go figure. I hated the stock seat and also had the 100 ass limit. With the sundowner, I could rise 500-700 miles a day and no sore ass.

Reactions: noechamp

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The old nickname for the Sundowner years ago was the COUCH. Quit a few didn't like them because is was wide and covered the frame and ruined the "Looks of the Motorcycle. Go figure. I hated the stock seat and also had the 100 ass limit. With the sundowner, I could rise 500-700 miles a day and no sore ass.
Lmao, "the couch" my ass didn't bother me as much as my back. But that could be more or less from the wind. I currently live in Naples Italy and the wind gets bad at times plus dosnt help to cruis 75-80

Registered
The speed limits out here are 75 and 80. So 85-90 is my normal cruising speed on the Interstate. And the sundowner will support the lower back. I have the same problem. Adding floorboards helped a lot also. Giving the ability to move your feet and legs around quite a bit.

Premium Member
The only thing I don't like about the Sundowner is the looks. So wide it looks like it belongs in a tractor. But, that's where it's comfort comes from.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The speed limits out here are 75 and 80. So 85-90 is my normal cruising speed on the Interstate. And the sundowner will support the lower back. I have the same problem. Adding floorboards helped a lot also. Giving the ability to move your feet and legs around quite a bit.
Yea its only averaging of 100 KPH, roughly 60 MPH but it's like driving down a major highway and cops don't pull you over here like they do in the US so I just cruise as long as I'm maintaining around 25-30 MPG WOT

Registered
Pulled over like the US?
I haven't been pulled over in 27 years. And I am at MPH not KPH and 100 kph =62 mph
That is the only place I run hard is on the highway. Up to 10 mph over they don't even look at you. If and when I get pulled over, getting caught 1 time in 27 years or more doesn't bother me. In fact maybe it would be considered way overdue. Most of the bikes getting pulled over out here are fools street racing in the city and Ricers doing wheelies and running away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts