Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WANNA RIDE , NOT GET ROBBED - IMO ? Recently went to Harley dealer to attempt to buy replacement fuel pump , filter and sender . While there the parts clerk read me a notice from HD that basically advised they don't have the parts , don't provide alternative suppliers , but will sell me a new fuel module kit with new fuel gauge for about $1000 ( Don't know how much they charge to install ) . Very disappointed since I have BSAs that were produced 45 years ago and can still find basic parts . Read the forum comments from previous years . Thanks to Steppenwolf ( RIP )and LL Cool K and will implement their sage advice .Like to share some information for replacement parts . LL Cool K listed a fuel filter from NAPA part which was great , but was a bit longer the tubes that were larger diameter and had a welded on bracket . While at NAPA the clerk did and exhaustive search for fuel filter based on sizes of the tubes for connection and size of filter . He came up with part # 23129 ProSelect fuel filter . Fits the bracket , the connecting tubes are a bit longer , but correct diameter and will work , be sure to use stainless steel hose clamps . Length is roughly the same . Unlike the original its not marked for " OUT" . The clerk advise me to use the center tube as " OUT " . As for replacement of the fuel pump with screen ( sock pre filter ) , tubing etc - check online Quantum fuel systems or ebay or Fuel Pump factory are just a few suppliers .Price ranges from about $50-70 . Unavailable at NAPA , butthe clerk tried to cross reference the Walbro fuel pump and came up with one for a FIAT model PUNTO Wasn't able to find the pump as a separate item , only as part of the fuel module in tank entire parts which of no use . Rebuilders are Autoline and Cardone listed in my search . As far as the sender for the fuel gauge sender - I intent to clean with carb cleaner and use the Steppenwolf advice to check the contacts . Hope this information helps someone else . If the fuel gauge doesn't work . the bike should still run . Pilots go by " time in your tank " based on pwer settings rather than relying on a gauge . Also I carry an additional small fuel container of about 1 gallon and have never run out of fuel . Anyways just my opinion .

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. They must have implemented a change on the filter I used..the bracket slid off of mine. I used a heat gun to soften the hose to slide it on and then clamped it. Thanks for the info on the #2319 ProSelect fuel filter. That's good info.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Addendum

LL Cool K - Just another thing about the filter I mentioned that became apparent to me today while beginning the assembly . It slides in the bracket well from the bottom but there is the sealing lip at the bottom which is slightly larger in diameter than the bracket . Found out that a small amount of the material of the bracket inside edge had to be beveled in order that the filter would fit flush with the metal plate that screws on at the bottom . Easily done using a sanding drum approx. 2 and 1/8 diameter ( harbor freight ) . If not the filter would not go all the way in and the lip would protrude effectively increasing the height and likely not fit well . Your filter idea works just as well - I had to sand , you had to get out the heat gun . My overall objective was to fix / replace the fuel pump , screen and filter canister which HD wanted to scalp us for $1000 . Just another option thanks to NAPA.
Just wanted to get more ideas out there so we can keep on riding without getting scammed by HD .

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LL Cool K - Found fuel pump replacement for the 2003 model VROD . web site is highflowfuel.com . Quantum fuel pump . On their site for 2003 VROD they showed a model # replacement , but the plug was not correct . The correct fuel pump replacement for the 2003 VROD is HFP-463 . Took them a while , but SEAN their customer service/tech contact person was diligent and I just received the proper pump . Just thought you might want to know . Thank you to Sean at Highflowfuel.com a 10/10 for customer service !!!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Los of info on converting to high flow Walbro on the Forum. A couple items; Use only hose for INTERNAL fuel injection units, others will deteriorate in the tank. DO NOT use worm type hose clamps, they WILL NOT hold the pressure, use the kind with a screw and crimped on nut. The unit is high flow ( not pressure) from a Mustang.

·
Registered
75 Posts
LL Cool K - Found fuel pump replacement for the 2003 model VROD . web site is highflowfuel.com . Quantum fuel pump . On their site for 2003 VROD they showed a model # replacement , but the plug was not correct . The correct fuel pump replacement for the 2003 VROD is HFP-463 . Took them a while , but SEAN their customer service/tech contact person was diligent and I just received the proper pump . Just thought you might want to know . Thank you to Sean at Highflowfuel.com a 10/10 for customer service !!!
How's the pump working and what did you pay?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts