Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry I am an idiot...fuel pump sender connection Located under the gas tank cover. Duh...So I connected my fuel pressure gauge and here’s what happens when I turn on the “run” switch the pressure shoots up immediately to 55/60. Yeah at idle drops down to 45. As soon as I switch off the bike it drops down immediately to zero.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The early models did not have a fuel pump fuse so it wouldn't have been that you pulled. The fuel pump is fed directly from the system relay which takes it's power from ECM fuse.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Sorry I am an idiot...fuel pump sender connection Located under the gas tank cover. Duh...So I connected my fuel pressure gauge and here’s what happens when I turn on the “run” switch the pressure shoots up immediately to 55/60. Yeah at idle drops down to 45. As soon as I switch off the bike it drops down immediately to zero.
Well, looks like you found the problem. Fuel pressure should hold 57-60 even at wide open throttle and not drop like a stone when the key is turned off or when the pump stops on the initial key on prime. Heavy bubbling like that as well as a rapid pressure loss points to a leaking fuel line. Some have made repairs to the unit with submersible fuel hose. Just use the correct fuel injection clamps. Obviously first thing is to pull the unit and decide repair or replace. You will need to make a fuel flange tool to remove the cap. Plenty of home brew ideas on that in the search function of the forum . No point in driving the bike in it's current very lean condition. Good luck and keep us in the loop on the progress. Here's what it looks like inside and the common issue with them. Unless it's obvious, you can pressure test the high pressure side by pulling the corrugated hose (purple) off the pump and capping it. Add pressure to the fitting end and look for the leak.
Ron

Attachments

·
EXCELSIOR
8,459 Posts
Crash4419 I had a problem with mine after many miles, became difficult to start and when you opened the cap you could see bubbles.
Upon removal and close inspection I discovered that the clear corrugated main pressure line from the pump to the pressure side filter can had worn a small hole through the wall where it was cable tied to the support strut.
While I ordered a replacement to get back on the road I bought a short length of submersible fuel line of the correct ID, and couple small hose clamps and installed that. It has been several years and it still works fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sure enough! it was the fuel flange issue. Mike’s replacement unit slipped right in and now I am hitting 90mph in 2nd gear!

·
Registered
33 Posts
See the photos. The black fuel line was totally loose up top where it connects to the plastic cap with the 3 outlets And electronic plug. Tank was clear and clean. Fuel sock looked a little dirty. Fuel pressure is back up! This baby is alive!! Great thanks to all the info on this forum and Mike D. Belluomo for sending me this unit. His eBay username is spiritusantu. To add, my fuel flange was labeled Revision A and Mike’s replacement is Revision C.

Attachments

21 - 30 of 30 Posts