1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've got a 2003 VRSCA.
The fuel assembly is done for.
I would like to replace the entire assembly (fuel pump, filter, sending unit, hoses, etc).

The bike's dictated part number is 62109-01A.
Yet that part number is obsolete.

I got another part number (75123-01B) which is also obsolete.

What do you guys do when you want to change this out?
Is there a company that sells new units? Or rebuilds these units?
Or how do you go about it?

Thank you!

·
EXCELSIOR
8,459 Posts
There are some components that are replaceable, you may have to do an extensive search.
There is no one that makes a complete unit other than you might find a good used one on ebay or other source.
The suction side sock filter has a Bosch direct replacement from about any auto parts store. Others have sourced the pump and pressure side filter as well from alternative sources.
I've been trying to gets Mods here to set up a sticky section with these part numbers and part sources because these things are next to impossible to find now.
DO a search here, someone recently posted some of this information related to these units.
The hoses are replaceable with over the counter auto parts store items. About the only item that is not replaceable/rebuildable as I understand is the fuel level sending scale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@rc4man thank you for your reply!
Lets see what I figure out.
I'll keep this thread up to date.

Regarding the fuel level sending unit (scale), I recently did a rebuild on a Softtail 2007 fuel sending unit.
A company called Tri-Starr Radiador rebuilt the fuel level sending unit.
Their work was absolutely spectacular.
They changed a couple of components.
Everything came back clean and working perfectly.
Their link is : Harley Davidson page

Very nice people.
Family business.
I leave the link here for other's reference, as I don't know if they rebuild VRod sending units.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rebuilt units are out there, but are not as common as they once were. I've owned two 2003 VRODS and both had faulty units when I bought them.

The average salvage yard used units have been selling for almost $700 over the last year. And they were filthy and required total refurbishment!

At least this one looks to be in excellent shape. Maybe worth spending some "stimulus money" on it...lol.

GOOD WORKING! Harley VRSCA Fuel Sending Unit VRSC V-ROD VROD Gas Pump 75173-01A | eBay

Do you have a few pics of your unit as it sits now?

Too bad Harley stop supplying these. Many riders will eventually need one. Here is a recent sale I ran across to show what they bring at auction:

Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been reading all day and night about these issues. My 03 vrod bike has a lot of trouble in 2nd gear at 30mph @ 3-4Krpms. I’ve read about the flange and other parts failing. 100 miles of 93 octane and it is slightly better yet once I warm up it gets much worse. I can fly at 80mph, no problem but have to keep the rpm’s high. Help me figure this out please. I’m chewing thru fuel. I understand I should do a fuel pressure test, what else?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I have been reading all day and night about these issues. My 03 vrod bike has a lot of trouble in 2nd gear at 30mph @ 3-4Krpms. I’ve read about the flange and other parts failing. 100 miles of 93 octane and it is slightly better yet once I warm up it gets much worse. I can fly at 80mph, no problem but have to keep the rpm’s high. Help me figure this out please. I’m chewing thru fuel. I understand I should do a fuel pressure test, what else?
That's the opposite of a fuel flange issue. It would crap out at higher rpms from low pressure starvation. Huge fuel burn can be from a bad tune, possible TPS issue, defective engine temp sensor, possible bad IAT, a bad injector or bad O2 sensors , but you don't have O2 sensors in this case. I've found while most factory tunes are lean down low in the 3-4k range, having it too rich will also make it run like crap, mainly in the 2500-3250 range. If it was good once, rule out the calibration and pursue check the sensors.
Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I’m burning a lot of fuel because I am staying in low gears at high rpms as not to stall. I cannot accelerate at 2.5-3.5 k at all

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Well I’m burning a lot of fuel because I am staying in low gears at high rpms as not to stall. I cannot accelerate at 2.5-3.5 k at all
. A simple fuel pressure test will rule out any fuel pump issues for starters as step one. Determine if it's rich or lean based on the plugs as a somewhat crude but effective way to check. Having it sitting for so long as you say, it could be possible injectors are in need of replacement or cleaning at minimum. How long did it sit?
Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
it sat since 2018 when this problem began. I understand the fuel pressure test. What do I look for on the spark plugs? I am not stupid just new to all the nomenclature of this field.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
it sat since 2018 when this problem began. I understand the fuel pressure test. What do I look for on the spark plugs? I am not stupid just new to all the nomenclature of this field.
Tips and ceramics white or sooty black. Also, are your exhaust pipe outlets light blackish or lots of black soot in them?
Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Ron, the exhaust tips are clean, no soot. I am contemplating purchasing that eBay listed rebuilt fuel mechanism And having the seller rebuild mine as a backup, too. I’m not looking for a cheap fix per say, as I understand the scarcity of parts now, I just want to ride safe and not stallout at the wrong time.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Hello Ron, the exhaust tips are clean, no soot. I am contemplating purchasing that eBay listed rebuilt fuel mechanism And having the seller rebuild mine as a backup, too. I’m not looking for a cheap fix per say, as I understand the scarcity of parts now, I just want to ride safe and not stallout at the wrong time.
You can do that but it might end up being a spare part and not the issue. Do a fuel pressure test first. Rule out any issues there. If that passes 57-60psi and holds under load , you don't have any problem in the tank. How did the bike run pre storage? Do you have a Power-commander on the bike currently? Resolving it can only be done one step at a time. Fuel pressure test first. Rent a tester with R12 fitting, that was common on GM vehicles. $675, that's insane for that part. Most here can rebuild with new pump, sock and lines for a fraction of that. Just trying to save you money man.
Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do not have a power commander to my knowledge. Prior to storage it ran like poo, too. I remember how it used to ride. I’ve passed some AMSoil PI fuel system cleaner. Going to ride over to MARS and get a fuel pressure test Done.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I do not have a power commander to my knowledge. Prior to storage it ran like poo, too. I remember how it used to ride. I’ve passed some AMSoil PI fuel system cleaner. Going to ride over to MARS and get a fuel pressure test Done.
Sometimes cleaners work, mostly not. Need to be out of the bike and use one of the cleaning kits that electrially trigger the injector with a small 9v battery. Then you can see before and after results if it was bad. On the fuel pressure test, view the psi and when the pump quits, it should hold most of the pressure or ever so slowly drop over a minute or so. If it drops like a stone, likely a problem with the check valve or a hole in the fuel line.
Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am new to this so bear with me. I have read a lot. Now I pulled what I believe to be the fuel pump fuse yet the bike continued to run for a long time. Also I see a lot of bubbles in the gas tank as it runs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts