Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Harley 2003 VRSCA. This is my 1st Harley. Also have a 1995 Honda Magna 750 that was my ride for a few years and am almost done with a new engine install. The thing is l have some problems with operating the stock forward controls and want to get mids. I figure l can weld the mounts to the lower frame. But where exactly? And what do l need? I have welders that would do the job. And then install an engine guard to put highway pegs for those long rides. What kind of advice is out there? Or am l better off purchasing an all inclusive set? Would any other year VROD kits bolt on?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Do a search here for “mid controls swap”. This is a fairly common modification- Changing way or the other. Yes, you are better with the whole kit as there are quite a few pets you will need. In the past there have been aftermarket kits as well, but these are difficult to come by. It will take some luck and timing to find a set, but they are out there

·
Registered
50 Posts
A used set is probably your best bet if you can find one and if you can mount/weld it. Otherwise, it will cost $800 or more to piece together an HD mid control kit, and it's only designed for the '07 + frame. Your '03 frame doesn't have the provision for the mounts. The only available kit at this time is an overpriced semi mids from Japan (Mid-Control Kit For V-ROD).
If you just want to bring the controls closer, get the 3" Reduced Reach Controls from Altered State (www.alteredstatedesign.net), or have your welders make your own. I believe Altered State is trying to develop a mid control kit as well.
You can also check with Zeel Design (www.zeeldesign.com) to see if their mid control kit is done and if it will work with your '03.

·
VRSC est -03
3,097 Posts
Do also a search for Kosman mid pegs -rarely seen for sale- and Rizoma mids - even more rarely seen around (and for sale)!

·
EXCELSIOR
8,555 Posts
The 2003 doesn't have the frame mounting points for the left/shift side, the right side is a bolt on bracket for the HD mids.
You'll also need to swap the lower frame rail on the right side or fabricate some mounting points there I think for the brake reservoir relocation.
It can be done but is problematic. The main issue with the left side is the proximity to the plastic gas tank, the mounting points are on the lower triangular frame member that cradles the tank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts