Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 vrod that I parked over a year and a half ago. not intentionally but that is the way it worked out. Purchased new battery hooked up wires and nothing but dash lights with ignition switch on off, nothing on other positions. Checked 40 main fuse checked ok. Ignition switch is pretty sloppy.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated. Stan

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I have a 2003 vrod that I parked over a year and a half ago. not intentionally but that is the way it worked out. Purchased new battery hooked up wires and nothing but dash lights with ignition switch on off, nothing on other positions. Checked 40 main fuse checked ok. Ignition switch is pretty sloppy.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated. Stan
I don't understand the following:
"nothing but dash lights with ignition switch on off, nothing on other positions".​

The ignition switch has the following positions:
LOCK, OFF, IGN, ACC, and FUEL​
Are you saying your IM (instrument module) lights are on with the ignition switch in the OFF position?

What model battery did you install?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no start

I don't understand the following:
"nothing but dash lights with ignition switch on off, nothing on other positions".​

The ignition switch has the following positions:
LOCK, OFF, IGN, ACC, and FUEL​
Are you saying your IM (instrument module) lights are on with the ignition switch in the OFF position?

What model battery did you install?
Yes that is what I am saying. The battery is from batteries plus.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Yes that is what I am saying. The battery is from batteries plus.
Dash lights on key off. Nothing from other positions. The whole system is dead. Battery from batteries plus.
I was asking what model battery, not where you bought it.

If the IM lights are on with the ignition off it's possible you have an incorrect model battery with the terminals hooked up backwards.

Anyone know what wiring from the bike to the battery?
The battery ground should connect to the front cylinder head and the battery positive should connect to the starter solenoid and then to the MAXI fuse. From the MAXI fuse it then connects to the ignition switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The battery is a Duracell DURAGM-14-US, number on the box. Sorry about the misunderstanding. I can find only 2 wires plus the ground strap that are not connected. None of them originate from the right front of the bike. All the wires are insulated with black insulation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Take the switch off. IF memory serves me correctly, pinch the black cover from top to bottom with your finger and pull off. There should be 2 torx screws to remove the switch.

There will be 3 wires with terminals that simply pull off the switch. Connect all 3 wires (seriously) with whatever means you have (aligator clips, etc) and try to start the bike.

IF the bike starts at this point, you know the switch is bad.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Every time I heard of issue like this, the battery was connected improperly.
(+) and (-) were reversed.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
The battery is a Duracell DURAGM-14-US, number on the box. Sorry about the misunderstanding. I can find only 2 wires plus the ground strap that are not connected. None of them originate from the right front of the bike. All the wires are insulated with black insulation.
The Duracell DURAGM-14-US is the right battery.
I would never say never about anything. How many wires are connected to each battery terminal and where do they originate? Not counting any battery charger wires.
As mentioned in post #7, other than optional equipment, there should be one black wire connected to each battery post. The negative lead (on the left) should run to the front cylinder head and the positive lead (with a red rubber boot at the battery post) should run down to the starter solenoid. Another black wire then goes from the same starter solenoid post to the MAXI fuse and then a red wire runs from the other side of the MAXI fuse to the ignition switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My battery reads 12.80. The plus and minus posts on the battery are in the proper orientation in the battery box. I have a ground cable from the front head to battery. I have 2 loose wires one has black insulation the other red insulation.(Where do they hook up?) There is nothing working on the bike (lights, horn,instruments starter). It is dead.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
My battery reads 12.80. The plus and minus posts on the battery are in the proper orientation in the battery box. I have a ground cable from the front head to battery. I have 2 loose wires one has black insulation the other red insulation.(Where do they hook up?) There is nothing working on the bike (lights, horn,instruments starter). It is dead.
The 40 amp fuse is good.
I need more info than just what color the insulation is. A picture would possibly help.
Where are these wires?
What size wire are these?​
As "Secretsather" mentioned, check the ignition switch wires:
The upper wire to the switch should be R/BLK (red with black stripe)
The middle wire to the switch should be R (red). This wire comes from the 40 A MAXI fuse and also connects to several fuses (SECURITY, BATTERY, and ECM)
The lower wire to the switch should be R/GY (red with gray stripe)​

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.