Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Out of time....
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am down to just two V-Rods and I can not make up my mind.

The 2003 only has 8800 miles and the 2006 Night Rod has 17900 on it.

The 2003 has had some work done to it like Rhinehart exhaust and a is re-chipped for more power? It also has some upgraded controls and tons of chrome. Plus the 2003 has the cool 100 year emblems on it.

The 2006 is well a VRSCD Night Rod to start (with 10k more miles though) and has custom chrome rims and bullet turn signals front and back (not sure I like the bullets at the end of the hand grips though). It also has an after market seat the is not pleasant looking at all. It also comes with a wind shield.

I also like forward controls so I would have to add those to the Night Rod.

The Night Rod and black and the Anniversary is of course the standard polished aluminum.

I can buy either for the exact same price.

Looking for any and all feed back / thoughts.

Thanks,

-DK

I feel like I am doing this to myself over this: :bash:

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Me personally I would go with the 03.

Lower miles and chrome engine cases plus it al ready has a pipe. Look on ebay there are always Kawasaki chrome zx10 rims on there for cheap. These are much lighter than other wheels and pretty cheap. One of the guys here installing them on his bike with a chain conversion.

VRSCD - have midmount controls and are not very popular, so resell is harder.

You have to think about your riding style and if midmounts make sense.

Are either bike still under warranty?

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I found that the D models actually go for more money because they are the only mid control Revo bike. I think the same is true here as the 03 is full of extras but the same price.
I wouyld Never buy any Revo bike that is Pre 2005, the Technology isnt there, the Tranny is the old set up as are the brakes etc... go for the 2006.

·
Out of time....
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me personally I would go with the 03.

Lower miles and chrome engine cases plus it al ready has a pipe. Look on ebay there are always Kawasaki chrome zx10 rims on there for cheap. These are much lighter than other wheels and pretty cheap. One of the guys here installing them on his bike with a chain conversion.

VRSCD - have midmount controls and are not very popular, so resell is harder.

You have to think about your riding style and if midmounts make sense.

Are either bike still under warranty?
Neither has any warranty.

I am planning on doing a custom paint job on the bike along with moving the gauges down to a new fake tank and putting riser bars on with a straight handle bar.

·
Out of time....
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found that the D models actually go for more money because they are the only mid control Revo bike. I think the same is true here as the 03 is full of extras but the same price.
I wouyld Never buy any Revo bike that is Pre 2005, the Technology isnt there, the Tranny is the old set up as are the brakes etc... go for the 2006.
Interesting. I thought they had the same engines until the 1250cc was used? So the 2006 Revo engine (I take it that "Revo" is for Revolution) is a newer / better design the 2005 and pre?

I did read the brakes are Brebo brakes on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_VRSC

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Interesting. I thought they had the same engines until the 1250cc was used? So the 2006 Revo engine (I take it that "Revo" is for Revolution) is a newer / better design the 2005 and pre?

I did read the brakes are Brebo brakes on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_VRSC
Brakes where upgraded, the Transmissions where upgraded, the Temp Sensor was relocated from the Motor to the Airbox the Frame colors where improved greatly just to name a few. If you are NOT interested in having a Anodized bike I would Never look at anything pre 2005, the people who own them think they are worth $8000 or higher when they should never get more than $5500. Plus the Anniversary owners all think they have a collectors item when in reality its just another bike.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts

·
Midwest Pimp
3,106 Posts
Brakes where upgraded, the Transmissions where upgraded, the Temp Sensor was relocated from the Motor to the Airbox the Frame colors where improved greatly just to name a few. If you are NOT interested in having a Anodized bike I would Never look at anything pre 2005, the people who own them think they are worth $8000 or higher when they should never get more than $5500. Plus the Anniversary owners all think they have a collectors item when in reality its just another bike.
You can get an anodized 06 as well and have the best of everything....:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
It just sounds like you like the 03 better in the first paragraph. I would go with that one.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
what is this transmission upgrade I keep hearing about in the 06 up bikes? I would personally NOT buy a silver framed bike it limits your paint jobs IMO. the seat you can swap/ sell on here Id def go with the newer bike if its in the same shape.

·
Midwest Pimp
3,106 Posts
I think that was the year with the terrible Emblem on the side wasnt it? The Black outline thing?
Actually, Maroon Letters..I think the font was a bit bigger...I could be wrong though... But it was not what they showed on the website...

·
Out of time....
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And the winner is......

I agree, it sounds like you want the 03, besides, I have one, and LOVE it!
To late... well sort of...

I decided to go with the 2006 Night Rode.

Lux made a strong case with:

"Brakes where upgraded, the Transmissions where upgraded, the Temp Sensor was relocated from the Motor to the Airbox the Frame colors where improved greatly just to name a few"

and the:

"if you are NOT interested in having a Anodized bike"

Which I am not since I will be having it airbrushed.

So, as long as the weather holds and all the paperwork and trade-in value holds up, I hope to have her by late afternoon or early evening tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.... if I am not happy I know who I can blame! :angeldev:

-DK

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Good choice, I love the Night Rod, Tried to get the Gurl to buy one last year when She was bike shopping but only came across 2 of them at dealers wanting too much $$$ for them.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I believe it was the gearing on the shifter shaft that was the issue on '02'-04 models was weak. Had mine go on me, very expensive fix.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts