Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I was at the MB bike week last week and my shift shaft broke. Been reading every post I can find and of course the 03 is the year with the short springs and potential for things to shift and result in splitting the cases. Are there any new tips on how to prevent that. I am ordering parts tomorrow and hope to get o it weekend after next. I know there probably isn't a silver bullet out there but any good tips will help. I have read that the parts don't move in all 03's just trying to not waste a weekend taking the motor out down the road. Thanks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
50/50 shot. You won't know unless you try. You can "suppose" longer than it would take. And if you have to split the cases, that would be the time to update the spring and ratchet assy along with the updated shift fork that was done in 04 for the 2005 model year

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
50/50 shot. You won't know unless you try. You can "suppose" longer than it would take. And if you have to split the cases, that would be the time to update the spring and ratchet assy along with the updated shift fork that was done in 04 for the 2005 model year
Oh yeah, I am gonna do it. Hopefully, I'll get lucky but if I don't, I'll be back here for instructions for those upgrades. Thanks for the heads up. I have less than 18k on my bike so I plan to ride it a while longer. My favorite bike of all time!

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
I'm assuming you mean the shaft that your shifter bolts to? Broke mine on my B years ago..Didn't need to split cases,just unbolt the cover and it slid right out...ten minute job.

Crewzr

·
Billy
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming you mean the shaft that your shifter bolts to? Broke mine on my B years ago..Didn't need to split cases,just unbolt the cover and it slid right out...ten minute job.

Crewzr
Yeah, being your model year was 05 it was an easy fix because the springs had been updated. In the 03 model there is the possibility of parts shifting that causes the transmission to not shift properly and then you have to pull the motor and split the cases to make the repair. I have my parts ordered should be working on it by next weekend. We will see if I am one of the lucky ones..

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Yeah, being your model year was 05 it was an easy fix because the springs had been updated. In the 03 model there is the possibility of parts shifting that causes the transmission to not shift properly and then you have to pull the motor and split the cases to make the repair. I have my parts ordered should be working on it by next weekend. We will see if I am one of the lucky ones..
Luck, what's that. I'd be inclined to lay the bike on the right side, after draining fuel and oil. Have everything in your favor working for you , gravity wise. Like you say, 05 and up, it's a walk in the park.
Ron

·
Registered
68 Posts
My “04 was assembled Nov “03 and I had the upgrade to the longer spring legs , with the parts on hand it was a 20 minute job , the actuator did drop but using a no 2 phillpshead screwdriver I was able to realign the lot and the slide the shaft in . Hope your lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts