Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am an newbie to the forum and just have a few questions. I just picked up a "in my opinion" is a super sweet 2003 Vrod this past weekend. I love everything about these bikes, but would really like to put some drag bars on in place of the stock bars. I am a big guy (6'4") with long arm and would really like the longer reach afforded by the drag bars. I have seen that Vmod has some drag bars for the "A" bikes but I don't know much about what it would take to install them. I like the looks of my cluster and all now so would really like to retain that if possible. Anybody have any suggestions on "easy" bar swaps for an A bike? Also any links to items that I could use to make this transition easier would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for your wealth of knowledge and for a great forum!

Steve

·
Dean
775 Posts
I will be putting the VMOD no rise drag bars on my 08 AW (same bars and clamshell as your 03). Most people have changed to the B riser which will give you more options as far as bars go.

As far as the swap from stock to the drag bars....I am not sure yet as far as the install. I have had almost everything off the bars at one time or another. My only concerns with the install is removing the left side handgrip and still being able to reuse it.

I will be installing the bars in the next couple of weeks...so I will have a better idea then.

As far as drag bars go for the A...there are not many options out there if you want to keep you current gauge setup.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be putting the VMOD no rise drag bars on my 08 AW (same bars and clamshell as your 03). Most people have changed to the B riser which will give you more options as far as bars go.

As far as the swap from stock to the drag bars....I am not sure yet as far as the install. I have had almost everything off the bars at one time or another. My only concerns with the install is removing the left side handgrip and still being able to reuse it.

I will be installing the bars in the next couple of weeks...so I will have a better idea then.

As far as drag bars go for the A...there are not many options out there if you want to keep you current gauge setup.
Those are the exact bars that I am considering as well. Anybody have any experience with these? How difficult is the changeout?

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Blainesdad, buy a book, this will help you huge. If you can turn a wrench, you will be able to get it done no problem. Be carefull with the chrome bezel as it goes down the top of the gauge housing and has a small tab that is known to break. If you have trouble, you can always post up and have someone help walk you thru it on the forum.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blainesdad, buy a book, this will help you huge. If you can turn a wrench, you will be able to get it done no problem. Be carefull with the chrome bezel as it goes down the top of the gauge housing and has a small tab that is known to break. If you have trouble, you can always post up and have someone help walk you thru it on the forum.
what book do I need to buy?

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
You can search on ebay or go to your local HD, and ask for a service manual for your year of bike. This should have a black and white cover, by about 2.5" thick. I think new they sell for about 64 bucks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I ran drag bars on my 05 B with 8 inch risers... If you want to run these type of bars and keep your stock gauges, one option is to buy a air cover from Trask that has the mounting for the stock guages in the airbox otherwise you will have to either just go with straight drag bars with no riser or do what I did, got rid of the stock gauges and put a Autometer Pro cycle tach and Dakota Digital speedo... As for changing out the bars, it is a simple job and doesn't require any specialty tools to do it... Straight drag bars fit inside the stock gauge/riser just like the stock bars do... Goodluck and I agree, buy a service manual for your bike, it's worth it's weight in gold... Just make sure you get the HD manual, Clymer is a joke...

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
they are very rare nowadays but HD use to make a dragbar for the 'A'. you can put the stock gauges back and have the wires internaly in the bars. looks tons better than the stock bar and feels much better. i believe it is 1' forward 1' down and 32'wide. i have put the grips 1' extra more out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they are very rare nowadays but HD use to make a dragbar for the 'A'. you can put the stock gauges back and have the wires internaly in the bars. looks tons better than the stock bar and feels much better. i believe it is 1' forward 1' down and 32'wide. i have put the grips 1' extra more out.
wow, this really sounds like a nice setup, does anybody have a set that they are interested in selling or any idea where a man can find a set?

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
I'l try to dig up the part number. i have read somone called the HD service and they could tell him where a few where to be found at dealers nationwide. used ones are rare but possible. try the wanted section.
Also take that advice to get the HD manual, it's my 'bikebible'

Found that # in an 2006 acc book 56528-02

Found somthing here?: http://www.scribd.com/doc/25935443/obsoleteharley-davidsonparts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how did you set these up? did you have to replace the risers? were you able to still continue to use the OEM guage cluster, etc?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts